Apostrophe

Apostrophe

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Apr 20

@wolfe63 said
It's difficult to determine its origin, but "its" plural possessive form must be its'. 😉
A quick research reveals that the possessive - it's - was originally correct.
(200 years ago)

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said
(200 years ago)
Perhaps we need a "Proper English Forum"?

-VR

SRB

Moves
21 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said
"You" was originally 2nd person plural.
"Thee" was 2nd person singular.

So
Thee art drunk!
Why not 'Thou art drunk'??

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Apr 20

@petewxyz said
Who the hell says "Thou art drunk" in today's world?

-VR

Moves
21 Apr 20

@very-rusty said

-VR
Apparently, not "thee". 😲

SRB

Moves
21 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said
(200 years ago)
Ah, but Wolfe is going for plural possessive so you have to somehow construct a sentence in which there are loads of its and they all collectively own something. If this thread becomes about its such that they own the thread you could say 'It's the its' thread' perhaps?

SRB

Moves
21 Apr 20

@very-rusty said

-VR
You haven't been drinking with enough vicars.

Australia

Moves
21 Apr 20

I'm quite tolerant of less than perfect grammar, but when it comes to apostrophes I'd like to toss the lot. And umlauts and the like too. I want a phonetic alphabet, one where c and k never sound the same and spelling isn't such an onerous chore.

As a child I campaigned for a phonetic alphabet and a logical calendar, one with four 13-week quarters (4,4,5) plus a day or sometimes two days which got special treatment. Of course I never had a chance of getting any of it.

SRB

Moves
21 Apr 20

@kewpie said
I'm quite tolerant of less than perfect grammar, but when it comes to apostrophes I'd like to toss the lot. And umlauts and the like too. I want a phonetic alphabet, one where c and k never sound the same and spelling isn't such an onerous chore.

As a child I campaigned for a phonetic alphabet and a logical calendar, one with four 13-week quarters (4,4,5) plus a day or ...[text shortened]... ometimes two days which got special treatment. Of course I never had a chance of getting any of it.
Now that reminds me of the classic Python sketch with the guy who can't say c so he uses b instead. It's pointed out to him that he should try using k instead. He concludes, 'I have been a silly bunt'.

Moves
21 Apr 20

@kewpie said

As a child I campaigned for a phonetic alphabet and a logical calendar, one with four 13-week quarters (4,4,5) plus a day or ...[text shortened]... ometimes two days which got special treatment. Of course I never had a chance of getting any of it.
I agree. Who cares if "i" comes before "e" except after...so many useless rules. Phonetics is the way to go.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Apr 20
1 edit

@petewxyz said
Correct.
I am wrong. 😢

edit: Have changed the original post to reflect your correction

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Apr 20

@kewpie said

So no biggy really, you just want to change the English language as it now exists! 😉

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Apr 20

@petewxyz said
You haven't been drinking with enough vicars.
I haven't touched a drink since March 22nd of 1992....FYI!!!

-VR

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
21 Apr 20

@very-rusty said
I haven't touched a drink since March 22nd of 1992....FYI!!!

-VR
What a waste of 28 years

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
21 Apr 20

@wolfgang59 said
What a waste of 28 years
Wow....28 years already, couldn't have been better actually!!! 😛

-VR