Anglo American

Anglo American

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
27 Feb 16

Originally posted by rookie54
we prefer, "cracker", thank you very much...
"craker " derogatory term for a white person ?
Coming from England I have never heard this one ( I think I am about too, lol)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Feb 16

Originally posted by phil3000
"craker " derogatory term for a white person ?
Coming from England I have never heard this one ( I think I am about too, lol)
Me neither.
So wiki to the rescue!
Cracker, sometimes white cracker or cracka, is a usually disparaging term
for white people,[1] especially poor rural whites in the Southern United States.
In reference to a native of Florida or Georgia, however, it is sometimes used
in a neutral or positive context or self-descriptively with pride
(see Florida cracker and Georgia cracker)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Feb 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I thought the melting pot analogy alluded to taking many cultures
and producing a single new one. The opposite of diversity.
I think you're right, but there's a lot of talk about the diversity of the American culture. It's a melting pot of diversity under the same banner of freedom.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Feb 16

Originally posted by Seitse
There is no such thing as the melting pot. You can draw the lines between
the ethnically separated areas of every city.
Just part of the process of melting. There are representative ethnicity in every segment of the American culture from the president on down. By and large. You can't expect a complete meltdown so early in the history of this country. We're just too young yet.

Australia

Moves
29 Feb 16

Originally posted by josephw
Just part of the process of melting. There are representative ethnicity in every segment of the American culture from the president on down. By and large. You can't expect a complete meltdown so early in the history of this country. We're just too young yet.
Australia is a whole heap younger than the US, and our population mix is just as varied, but we don't feel compelled to label our population with an extra tag to show ethnic origin. An Australian is an Australian or an Aussie, period. Labels are discriminatory.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
29 Feb 16

Originally posted by Kewpie
Australia is a whole heap younger than the US, and our population mix is just as varied, but we don't feel compelled to label our population with an extra tag to show ethnic origin. An Australian is an Australian or an Aussie, period. Labels are discriminatory.
And your inference is what? That Australians are better than Americans?

I think you misunderstand why we refer to our ethnic origins in our labeling. After all it is those of diverse ethnic origins that label themselves as such. What is wrong with that? We're all Americans here. There's nothing wrong with identifying oneself with his or her ethnic heritage. It's part of what makes America great.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
29 Feb 16
1 edit

Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
Perhaps America is more like a fondue. You dip different kinds of people in the America, they come out covered in America, and then you eat them.

Best post I have read in years. Pure gold.

Doug Stanhope

That's Why I Drink

Moves
29 Feb 16

@josephw read what @kewpie wrote. your argument sounds like the "moderates"
during slavery: yeah, the blacks are human but they are just not ready yet to be
free, they need to evolve a bit more.

true story.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Mar 16

Originally posted by Seitse
@josephw read what @kewpie wrote. your argument sounds like the "moderates"
during slavery: yeah, the blacks are human but they are just not ready yet to be
free, they need to evolve a bit more.

true story.
I don't get your point.

N

Moves
01 Mar 16
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
And your inference is what? That Australians are better than Americans?

I think you misunderstand why we refer to our ethnic origins in our labeling. After all it is those of diverse ethnic origins that label themselves as such. What is wrong with that? We're all Americans here. There's nothing wrong with identifying oneself with his or her ethnic heritage. It's part of what makes America great.
This I agree with. It's just the way American culture is, it's not an indicator of discrimination, even though it would be seen that way in other countries (nevertheless it seems clear from a multitude of reliable sources that discrimination is quite a problem in America).

N

Moves
01 Mar 16

Originally posted by Crowley
[b]Perhaps America is more like a fondue. You dip different kinds of people in the America, they come out covered in America, and then you eat them.

Best post I have read in years. Pure gold.[/b]
😀

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
01 Mar 16

This I agree with. It's just the way American culture is, it's not an indicator of discrimination, even though it would be seen that way in other countries (nevertheless it seems clear from a multitude of reliable sources that discrimination is quite a problem in America).
I agree, it is. Maybe more or less than it is elsewhere. Plus, I don't think it's getting any better.