6 hour bans

6 hour bans

General

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ENGLAND

Moves
21 Oct 15
2 edits

I want to float and idea here rather than officially in 'site ideas'.

What if subscribers have the collective power to inflict short forum bans on any other poster they see misbehaving?

A short sharp shock from one's fellow public forum contributors. Posts could not be removed but the short ban would have to be linked/referenced to a specific post. If say 12 people "yellow carded" the post as being inappropriate then the poster got a 6 hour ban, and pending moderator review, it could be increased or withdrawn etc.

Benefits:
> More power to the people
> Less waiting around for the mods to finish playing World of Warcraft
> Fun!

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by divegeester

What if [b]subscribers
have the collective power to inflict short forum bans on any other poster they see misbehaving?

A short sharp shock from one's fellow public forum contributors. Posts could not be removed but the short ban would have to be linked/referenced to a ...[text shortened]... er to the people
> Fun![/b]
Heil Hitler !

ENGLAND

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by Captain Strange
Heil Hitler !
You have an objection to the idea?

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Oct 15
1 edit

What if [b]subscribers
have the collective power to inflict short forum bans on any other poster they see misbehaving?

A short sharp shock from one's fellow public forum contributors. Posts could not be removed but the short ban would have to be linked/referenced to a ...[text shortened]... er to the people
> Fun![/b]
In fact your suggestion ahs some merit.

However since we would have to deal with the worlf-pack mentality the moderator would have to see who gave them to ban people for inappropriate "yellow carding" ...

Moves
21 Oct 15

What if [b]subscribers

> Fun![/b]
A noble idea, but suspect it could be open to abuse. For example, say an unpopular forum poster was given a few thumbs down. It might then become a bit of a game to add to the thumbs down tally and push him towards a 6 hour ban, if the required limit was say 12 etc.

Such a pattern seems to happen already, where a post with a couple of thumbs down can quickly attract further thumbs down like a magnet, even if the post is just a little lame rather than offensive.(It's a bit like a wounded animal attracting further attacks, due to its vulnerability).

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
A noble idea, but suspect it could be open to abuse. For example, say an unpopular forum poster was given a few thumbs down. It might then become a bit of a game to add to the thumbs down tally and push him towards a 6 hour ban, if the required limit was say 12 etc.

Such a pattern seems to happen already, where a post with a couple of thumbs down ...[text shortened]... fensive.(It's a bit like a wounded animal attracting further attacks, due to its vulnerability).
As I understood. It was not about thumbs down, but about alerts.

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by Ponderable
As I understood. It was not about thumbs down, but about alerts.
If Dives 'yellow carded' meant non public alerts (rather than visible thumbs down) i gladly retract my previous post. πŸ™‚

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
21 Oct 15

This is the interweb baby !

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by Captain Strange
This is the interweb baby !
Thank you Captain Obvious!

Ähem... Strange

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
21 Oct 15

Under this system the Clan Forum would cease to exist. πŸ˜› πŸ™„

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by MontyMoose
Under this system the Clan Forum would cease to exist. πŸ˜› πŸ™„
So. For some they don't exist anyway.πŸ˜²πŸ˜‰

Moves
21 Oct 15

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by vandervelde
[youtube]dnrvH8k12qw[/youtube]
Nicely put Sir

Über-Nerd

Moves
21 Oct 15

Not a good idea. There'd just be one clique banning another clique, mutually.

ENGLAND

Moves
21 Oct 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
If Dives 'yellow carded' meant non public alerts (rather than visible thumbs down) i gladly retract my previous post. πŸ™‚
Yes absolutely "no public". Visibility would be carnage LOL.

No, this is a serious suggestion which could be trialed and add a bit of fun. Abuse would mean collaborators having to PM each other and getting a posse up etc. For a 6 hour ban? Not sure people would bother.

However if the offender got n auto PM saying something along the lines of "12 your fellow forum contributors (or whatever number) have flagged your post as in breach - you are banned for six hours pending moderator review"

It's a long enough ban to have an impact but not long enough to cause serious inconvenience. Actually maybe 12 hours wou do be better.