1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:062 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    What makes it surprising is specifically that you're referring to older people.

Older people are eligible for Medicare and Social Security and, if they're retired, to Medicaid as well.
    US social programs don't pay for everything. Many many older people have to work to pay for their bills including medication, assisted housing, home care, food etc.

Look, you can google it if you don't want to take my word for it. Here's some info as a start: It also appears my 25% of all personal bankruptcies in the US being caused by medical debts is out of date. As of 2007 (pre-recession) it is up to a whopping 60%!!! I can only imagine how high it is now with this current recession.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE5530Y020090604?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0

http://halfinten.org/elderly-poverty
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

An interesting quote from one of the articles:

"Using a conservative definition, 62.1 percent of all bankruptcies in 2007 were medical; 92 percent of these medical debtors had medical debts over $5,000, or 10 percent of pretax family income," the researchers wrote.

"Most medical debtors were well-educated, owned homes and had middle-class occupations."

The researchers, funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, said the share of bankruptcies that could be blamed on medical problems rose by 50 percent from 2001 to 2007.

Patients with multiple sclerosis paid a mean of $34,167 out of pocket in 2007, diabetics paid $26,971, and those with injuries paid $25,096, the researchers found.
  2. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:07
    what goes into the lifespan statistics? probably a bunch of different factors. wars, smoking rates, etc. so how do those factors indicate quality or lack thereof of the healthcare system?

and does congress raid the social security fund or is it all paid back to the contributors?
  3. Los Angeles
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:11
    Originally posted by uzless
    EDIT 2: Also, there are 50 million Americans who don't have health care coverage. I'm surprised you haven't seen any of them considering that works out to about 1 in 8 Americans that don't have health coverage. Granted, they are not all old people, but also include young children.

____

Do you think that 50 million figure has anything to do with the 30 million Americans that are unemployed?
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    Exactly; so your whole point about "bring me your needy" for healthcare does not reference a scenario that would be any different under all these systems where healthcare is considered a "right" and not a handout.
    I thought it was obvious that i meant the needy would actually live and work in the US. Not just get free medical treatment.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:13
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    it's not like people who lack healthcare coverage go around wearing signs saying "I don't have any healthcare insurance!!"
    read my story at the bottom of page 1. It'll make more sense.
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:15
    Originally posted by SlyArmenian
    EDIT 2: Also, there are 50 million Americans who don't have health care coverage. I'm surprised you haven't seen any of them considering that works out to about 1 in 8 Americans that don't have health coverage. Granted, they are not all old people, but also include young children.

____

Do you think that 50 million figure has anything to do with the 30 million Americans that are unemployed?
    So you should only get health care if you have a job???

😞

Besides, you're leaving out 20 million people.
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:191 edit
    It's hard to determine a stat like that, especially in California, considering that probably 3 in 8 Southern Californian's are illegal, not to mention that 3 in 8's 5 kids.
    ug, "blame the immigrants for our problems!!!"

What an idiotic response. Such a tired, uninformed lazy unintelligent comment. My god. Please, vote republican and be quiet. Then open your eyes, shut your mouth, and read.

""Using a conservative definition, 62.1 percent of all bankruptcies in 2007 were medical; 92 percent of these medical debtors had medical debts over $5,000, or 10 percent of pretax family income," the researchers wrote.

"Most medical debtors were well-educated, owned homes and had middle-class occupations.""

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE5530Y020090604?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
  8. Los Angeles
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:24
    So you should only get health care if you have a job???

😞

Besides, you're leaving out 20 million people.
    Should you eat if you don't work? Why the concern for US health care up there in Canda?

How many illegals do you think there are in the US? Take a guess.
  9. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:28

____

You just got to core of the problem with the US system -- you lose your job, you also lose your coverage.

And how many people are stuck in a lousy job but are afraid to look for something better because they fear losing their coverage?
  10. Los Angeles
    Moves
    ug, "blame the immigrants for our problems!!!"

What an idiotic response. Such a tired, uninformed lazy unintelligent comment. My god. Please, vote republican and be quiet. Then open your eyes, shut your mouth, and read.

""Using a conservative definition, 62.1 percent of all bankruptcies in 2007 were medical; 92 percent of these medical debtors had ...[text shortened]... .reuters.com/article/healthNews/idUSTRE5530Y020090604?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
    Maybe you should read, Canadian. I never blamed anything on anyone. You read between the lines incorrectly. I was explaining that it is difficult to come to a statitistic such as that, genius.
  11. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    Should you eat if you don't work? Why the concern for US health care up there in Canda?

How many illegals do you think there are in the US? Take a guess.
    you want people who can't find work to starve?
  12. Germany
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:37
    Sweden's national per capita income is lower than France's and still has a tax rate of about 48%, although their corporate taxes are just under 30%.

Interestingly enough, Japan has a slightly lower average personal tax rate than Americans, at about 27%.
    Erm no, you are looking at the wrong data.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:381 edit
    I thought it was obvious that i meant the needy would actually live and work in the US. Not just get free medical treatment.
    you'd kick a 90-year-old grandma out of her job in favor of an illegal immigrant?
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:391 edit
    😲😲😲
  15. Los Angeles
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 21:481 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Erm no, you are looking at the wrong data.
    I suppose it's a bit outdated:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Income_Taxes_By_Country.svg

http://www.oecd.org/document/4/0,3343,en_2649_34533_41407428_1_1_1_1,00.html

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree