1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 May '21 07:391 edit
    White always moves first.

No doubt this has been discussed before but it seems to be popping in my media feeds again recently.

Garry Kasparov said recently about Australian state news broadcaster ABC picking up the topic:
    ”If you are worried that the game of chess is racist, please take up Go, where black moves first, instead of looking foolish by wasting taxpayer money at a state broadcaster to "investigate" it!”

So, is the rule that white moves first a racist root?

Should we be bothered even if it is?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 May '21 07:41
    @divegeester said

No doubt this has been discussed before but it seems to be popping in my media feeds again recently.

Garry Kasparov said recently about Australian state news broadcaster ABC picking up the topic:
    [b][i]”If you are worried that the game of chess is racist, please take up Go, where black moves first, instead of looking foolish by wasting ta ...[text shortened]... /b]

The work around is to play with blue and red figures...the colour standing on row 1 and 2 moves first.

Will there be any difference?
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 May '21 07:51
    @ponderable said
    The work around is to play with blue and red figures...the colour standing on row 1 and 2 moves first.

Will there be any difference?
    Do you feel there is a need to incorporate this “work around” into the OTB, online and international chromatics of a centuries old board game to satiate the appetites of the woken masses?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 May '21 07:531 edit
    Perhaps another work around (the issue) would be for players to bow the knee at the table before making their first move; perhaps only the player moving as “white” should do this?

Does bowing the knee still matter if only your opponent sees it?
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 May '21 07:57
    If alternate piece colours were used as Ponderable floated, would the native Americans take offence at “red”. Perhaps crimson would be a better choice?
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    07 May '21 10:56
    No.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 May '21 10:58
    @divegeester said

[b][i]”If you are worried that the game of chess is racist, please take up Go, where black moves first, instead of looking foolish by wasting ta ...[text shortened]... /b]

No. The colors could be green and violet.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 May '21 12:131 edit
    @divegeester said

Of course it is. Everything that is black and white must be removed to please BLM. The colours should be eliminated from the colour spectrum. Anyone who says that is impossible are racist.
  9. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    07 May '21 12:16
    Used to be black was considered the lucky color and you'd roll dice to see who moved first, regardless of color. White didn't move first by convention until the late 1800's.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 May '21 13:16
    @divegeester said

only if you want it to be.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 May '21 13:31
    @mott-the-hoople said
    only if you want it to be.
    I’m not bothered but, I’m just wondering if others are.
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    07 May '21 14:32
    @divegeester said
    I’m not bothered but, I’m just wondering if others are.
    liberals are, conservative not.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 May '21 14:33
    @divegeester said

no its not racist its a game ffs
  14. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    07 May '21 14:55
    If it is, it is. Yes I'm a Racist, your Black? Tuff, your White? Tuff..... WOKE.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    07 May '21 16:47
    @divegeester said

Nope. It’s not racist. It has nothing to do with race.

Considering where the game originated at a time and place with no white people there, it probably stems from the concept of white being virtuous and black being the opposite.
    White as in virgin, clean, etc.
    Nothing to do with pink people. Or the concept of the pink people being white.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree