1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 03:382 edits
    Whodey has made it official. April 15, which is when income taxes are due, is to be a day of celebration for progressives!! This is your time to shine and take pride in all that you have accomplished.

I only have one question. Why is it that the government knows everything about me, but needs me to file taxes at the end of the year? I mean, they can trace every phone call, when I was born, where I was born, where I live, every visit on the web, how much electricity I use a day, every last dollar I make, etc., yet at the end of the year they insist on making me take a long arse test to see if I know what they know, which is how I made and spent every last cent I earned? Is it so they can catch me in a lie/error that ends up costing me more $$$? Its the only explanation I have.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, not all of us celebrate this day. For those, I provide some humorous quotes.

The income tax form is too difficult for a mathmatician. It takes a philosopher.
    - Albert Einstien

It is a good thing that we don't get as much government as we pay for.
    - Will Rogers

America is a land of taxation that was founded to avoid taxation.
    - Dr. Lawrence Peter

The income tax created more criminals than any other singe act of government.
    - Barry Goldwater

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for myself, I found this last quote to be the most humorous, even though at the time it was not meant to be humorous.

It would be a hard government that should tax its people one-tenth part of their income.
    - Ben Franklin

Hilarious!! You crack me up Ben!! 😵
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 13:58
    No one wishes to celebrate? :'(

Ok, so on to my next questoin. It seems that progressives whine about people not paying their fair share of taxes. However, they also don't seem to mind trillion dollar deficits.

So which is it? 🙄
  3. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 14:00
    Originally posted by whodey

Ok, so on to my next questoin. It seems that progressives whine about people not paying their fair share of taxes. However, they also don't seem to mind trillion dollar deficits.

So which is it? 🙄
    I don't know. Maybe you should ask Hannity what "progressives" think.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 14:04
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    I don't know. Maybe you should ask Hannity what "progressives" think.
    Do you have his e-mail?
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 14:52

So which is it? 🙄
    So accordingly you don't care if people pay their fair share of taxes?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:31
    Originally posted by badmoon
    So accordingly you don't care if people pay their fair share of taxes?
    What exactly is the "fair" share?
  7. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:31
    What exactly is the "fair" share?
    You're the one bringing it up.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:35
    You're the one bringing it up.
    I use the word "fair share" because that is what I hear on the left. So what exactly is it?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:36
    I use the word "fair share" because that is what I hear on the left. So what exactly is it?
    Who do you talk to "on the left"?
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:42
    Who do you talk to "on the left"?
    The Progressive tax was designed in theory to tax the "rich" at a higher rate in the assumption it is "fair".

So where do you draw the line at what is fair? What would you like to see?
  11. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:43
    The Progressive tax was designed in theory to tax the "rich" at a higher rate in the assumption it is "fair".

By implication, any tax that is not flat-rate is left-wing, yes?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 15:47
    Originally posted by DrKF
    All I know is that GE didn't pay any taxes this year dispite making around $14 billion. Of course, so long as you greese the wheels in Washington and have an army of lawyers/accountants your good to go. EVeryone else must be leached off of.
  13. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 16:00
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Well, let's think of some examples:

If one guy makes $50,000, and another guy makes $300,000 and neither pay any tax, the richer guy is getting a huge "tax break".

But if the guy making $50,000 pays $5,000 or 10% while the other guy pays $30,000 or 10% -- again, according to the left, the rich guy is getting a "tax break".

So you on the left must have some idea what the right answer is so that nobody is getting a "tax break."

So what is it and how do you arrive at that answer?
  14. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 16:09
    All I know is that GE didn't pay any taxes this year dispite making around $14 billion. Of course, so long as you greese the wheels in Washington and have an army of lawyers/accountants your good to go. EVeryone else must be leached off of.
    I'm sorry, you must have me confused with someone else or something. I was asking a question about what you said earlier, so the post above must be directed at someone else. But you're more of a muck-flinging guy, I suppose. It's not unlike the 'not meant to be a factual statement' thing - nothing you say is meant to stand up to scrutiny or anything. Promiscuous women are and aren't whores. It's all about the 'larger truth', so what if one or two details are wrong, or flimsy, or can't really be discussed because they're just pseudo-factoids. Or 'balls' as others call it.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 16:14

For me it's not really relevant what is "fair", I care more about an efficient economy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree