1. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 15:33
    Libertarians are dancing in the streets. FINALLY, a place they can go with NO government!

“A portrait of Haitians trying to survive without a government”

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/18/1245048299/haiti-haitians-cap-haitien
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 15:51
    @spruce112358
    Hey Earl, you have a new home now!
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 16:311 edit
    @spruce112358 said
    Libertarians are dancing in the streets. FINALLY, a place they can go with NO government!

Life in the state of nature is "poor, nasty, brutish, and short," said Thomas Hobbs. We see in Haiti a real-life case of what happens when a state is first corrupted by dictators and then fails altogether. So sad.
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 17:43
    @moonbus said
    Life in the state of nature is "poor, nasty, brutish, and short," said Thomas Hobbs. We see in Haiti a real-life case of what happens when a state is first corrupted by dictators and then fails altogether. So sad.
    No taxes though.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 19:06
    @wildgrass said
    No taxes though.
    Also no public services or safety. I know, I've been there. The infrastructure is worse than in Europe during the black death -- no sanitation, the water that comes out of the taps is poisonous, garbage litters the streets, cadavers are left to rot by the roadside ...
  6. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 21:15
    @spruce112358 said

Police , justice, defense.

The same mistake you've made in a matter of days. Ignorant of your chosen subject or baiting for attention.
  7. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 21:44
    @wajoma said
    Police , justice, defense.

The same mistake you've made in a matter of days. Ignorant of your chosen subject or baiting for attention.
    Not baiting. I AGREE on police, justice, defense, and a few other things like public spaces and last-resort charity.

But there are a large group of semi-libertarians like Sen. 'Ayn' Rand Paul who love to quote Reagan, "Government is the problem" and vaguely have things both ways: "Government is BAD! Full of BAAAAAD people! We have to STARVE the government! (Oh and Taxation is Theft! Ooops!)"

"But Haiti? Oh no, I don't mean like that..."

They are manipulators and I don't like them.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 21:45
    @moonbus said
    Could be construed as a racist remark, Haiti being the first country to gain independence from the colonisers. SA is heading the same way.
  9. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 21:50
    @spruce112358 said
    Not baiting. I AGREE on police, justice, defense, and a few other things like public spaces and last-resort charity.

But there are a large group of semi-libertarians like Sen. 'Ayn' Rand Paul who love to quote Reagan, "Government is the problem" and vaguely have things both ways: "Government is BAD! Full of BAAAAAD people! We have to STARVE the government! (Oh and Tax ...[text shortened]... !)"

"But Haiti? Oh no, I don't mean like that..."

They are manipulators and I don't like them.
    When you quote Rand Paul saying 'defund the police' you may have a point, I'd be interested in seeing that. But equating "The goobermint is the problem" with a simplistic puerile 'no goobermint', I say again, ignorance or bait.
  10. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 22:07
    @wajoma said
    When you quote Rand Paul saying 'defund the police' you may have a point, I'd be interested in seeing that. But equating "The goobermint is the problem" with a simplistic puerile 'no goobermint', I say again, ignorance or bait.
    I don't follow RP around, but I wonder how many times has Paul has praised the government in a public statement for something other than a cutback? For doing something useful...?

A quick look at his page suggests that the only place we need government to do something is in support of Our Heroes: "With the end of the war in Iraq and the continued withdrawal from Afghanistan, many veterans have returned home in need of assistance. We owe it to the men and women who have served in combat to provide them with quality care for injuries sustained in defense of this nation and provide the necessary support tools as they adjust back to civilian life."

@sonhouse, Sen Paul wants to give you money. Everybody else, he wants to CUT, BABY!
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 22:16
    @spruce112358 said
    I don't follow RP around, but I wonder how many times has Paul has praised the government in a public statement for something other than a cutback? For doing something useful...?

A quick look at his page suggests that the only place we need government to do something is in support of Our Heroes: "With the end of the war in Iraq and the continued withdrawal from Afghan ...[text shortened]... vilian life."

@sonhouse, Sen Paul wants to give you money. Everybody else, he wants to CUT, BABY!
    Without getting into the why's and where-for's of Afghanistan that would fit with:

There is a roll for the state i.e. Police, Justice, Defense.

And not the infantile accusation that Rand Paul wants to ban goobermint.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 00:42
    @wajoma said
    Without getting into the why's and where-for's of Afghanistan that would fit with:

There is a roll for the state i.e. Police, Justice, Defense.

And not the infantile accusation that Rand Paul wants to ban goobermint.
    Justice. There's a loaded word that shouldn't fit into a libertarians vocabulary.
  13. Joined
    09 Jan '22
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 01:31
    Next time someone tells you they are an anarchist show them pictures of Haiti.
  14. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 02:10
    @wildgrass said
    Justice. There's a loaded word that shouldn't fit into a libertarians vocabulary.
    Yes we know your idea of justice is getting goobermint thugs to force your dream feelings on your fellow man. Now that is 'loaded'.
  15. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '24 02:372 edits
    @wajoma said
    Yes we know your idea of justice is getting goobermint thugs to force your dream feelings on your fellow man. Now that is 'loaded'.
    Justice is an ethical term. Not my idea.

I know some libertarians. Most reject the idea that a libertarian government can deliver justice equally without impinging other's rights.

E.g. Anarchists and libertarians both support roads. If a libertarian is distinguished from an anarchist because the libertarian supports justice, then we need traffic laws. Stop signs, speed limits, insurance etc.

The government thugs need to enforce these laws.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree