1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 04:00
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    BTW, according to that article the unproven technology that Lackner is espousing would require 100 MILLION machines and have costs in the multi-TRILLION range. Is that what you are supporting?
    The left is at war with technology.

After all, it is technology which granted mankind the ability to transform fossil fuels into a cheap source of energy, along with a myriad of other applications that allowed the human race to reproduce in such large numbers.

The irony here is, the left Is the one at war with science, as well as many scientists within the scientific world.
  2. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 08:15
    Originally posted by whodey

After all, it is technology which granted mankind the ability to transform fossil fuels into a cheap source of energy, along with a myriad of other applications that allowed the human race to reproduce in such large numbers.

The irony here is, the left Is the one at war with science, as well as many scientists within the scientific world.
    "The left is at war with technology. "
    yes, and they want to go back to horse and carriage and candle lit evenings.

or are they in fact not at war with technology since they want to develop safer, cheaper, more economically sound technology and you are just out of touch with reality?
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 08:23
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    he is not a meteorologist. he is not there to offer opinions. he is there to present the weather.

you're damn right he was fired.
    Was he promoting his book when he was supposed to be presenting the weather?

Or was he promoting his book in his own time?
  4. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 08:36
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

my mistake. it didn't say he promoted during his working hours.

in that case i withdraw my opinion. he is free to do whatever he wants and the firing was abusive.

just like a creationist should be allowed to teach evolution as long as his personal views don't interfere.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 10:31
    Originally posted by Great King Rat

Who cares?

The fact of the matter is, he was given an opinion so he deserved to be fired. Anyone who gives an opinion at anytime apparently deserves to be fired.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 10:331 edit

in that case i withdraw my opinion. he is free to do whatever he wants and the firing was abusive.

just like a creationist should be allowed to teach evolution as long as his personal views don't interfere.
    No, he is not free to do as he likes.

We live in a police state now. The thought police are just around the corner.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 10:38

France Télévisions said its rules “prevent anyone using their professional status … to push forward their personal opinions”.

I disagree that it is abusive. Certain professions do limit what you are allowed to do in your private life that relates to your professional work.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 10:40
    Delusional raving just makes you look stupid. My guess is that you actually work for 'the left' and are being paid to make 'the right' look bad.
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 12:35

The problem is that as a weatherman he gains authority from his connection with the television channel. So unless they do take action against him the station implicitly supports his book.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 12:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    France Télévisions said its rules “prevent anyone using their professional status … to push forward their personal opinions”.

I disagree that it is abusive. Certain professions do limit what you are allowed to do in your private life that relates to your professional work.
    they do and they are abusive.

as long as you fulfill your contractual obligations, you have freedom over the rest of your life.

did the newscaster's contract specify he is not to promote his or anyone else's book in his free time?
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:07
    they do and they are abusive.

as long as you fulfill your contractual obligations, you have freedom over the rest of your life.

did the newscaster's contract specify he is not to promote his or anyone else's book in his free time?
    That does seem to be the implication of the quote in twhitehead's post.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:12
    It is one of his contractual obligations that he violated.

Apparently, yes.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:15

Would you please answer my question; you've cut and pasted this article at least twice, I'd like to know if you support the idea of the US government spending multi-trillion dollars for research, development and building of 100 million devices to take carbon from the atmosphere.
  14. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:33
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The problem is that as a weatherman he gains authority from his connection with the television channel. So unless they do take action against him the station implicitly supports his book.
    ... the station implicitly supports his book.

That is nonsense. Even if the station for some bizarre reason fears that viewers are so stupid as to make that assumption, they could have issued a statement explaining their position.

To fire someone over something like that is taking it way too far.

Also, the guy is a weather forecaster, not a climate forecaster. It's been mentioned countless times on this forum (rightfully so) that weather and climate are not the same. Hence, the guy was not using "his profession" to promote his book

This is the major problem with the climate change issues these days: it's all become way too politicized, on both sides of the spectrum.
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    09 Dec '15 13:34
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Apparently, yes.
    And you base this on what exactly?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree