1. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 00:42
    @spruce112358 said
    Children can't just go 'get another job.' They have to do what their parents tell them because the parents give them food, clothing and shelter (and many other things - but let's leave love and affirmation out of it for the moment.)

If a parent tells them, 'go work,' they have to go. That's not free market labor.

That's slavery.

When you provide someone room ...[text shortened]... bor.

You arguing that we bring back slavery, AverageJoe? That is BOLD even for a Southerner!
    Sincerely sorry, I thought we were discussing the united states of america. So which countries do you want us to weave into discussions about,,,,what, children working?
    If you are discussing other countries, my apologies, I respectfully bow out, those are conditions with which I am unfamiliar. I would think that that would be a very basic separate thread for all of you foreigners to write about.
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 02:13
    @averagejoe1 said
    Sincerely sorry, I thought we were discussing the united states of america. So which countries do you want us to weave into discussions about,,,,what, children working?
    If you are discussing other countries, my apologies, I respectfully bow out, those are conditions with which I am unfamiliar. I would think that that would be a very basic separate thread for all of you foreigners to write about.
    Surely, you remember what you were replying to?

@sonhouse: "Yeah, like here in the US in century 19 and 18, children forced to work in mines, lots of dead children from that dark era."
  3. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 12:17
    @spruce112358 said
    Surely, you remember what you were replying to?

@sonhouse: "Yeah, like here in the US in century 19 and 18, children forced to work in mines, lots of dead children from that dark era."
    With all due respects, if I saw such a sentence, I would breeze right over it because we are plenty busy in our present day situation, I feel no need to talk about the past. The past is irrelevant, just like I say often that the word 'why' is irrelevant... we are where we are. We are doing what we do and we have to deal with it in present day.
    On the other hand, you can write about what Trump did 5 years ago. Tell us that Operation Warp Speed was a failure, or what yoiu know about Jan 6 which is zilch.
    Get a grip, Sonhouse.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Apr '24 15:34
    @AverageJoe1
    Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Don't know who said that but it applies directly to you. We bring this kind of thing because it can happen again, we are not castigating stuff that happened hundreds of years ago, we just see those things as things we need to remember because we can see when things slide downhill towards that situation again.
    We CAN lose our democracy and we CAN lose the protective laws and regulations about child labor and digging up coal again or dumping toxins in our streams and rivers and the like, say unregulated electrical wiring where a shady operator would use cheap underrated electric cables to wire power to houses or use the cheapest POS lumber or plumbing parts. THAT is why we like regulations, without them slimeballs WILL take advantage of folks who are not experts in whatever field someone wants help in.
    Do you ever think about issues like that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree