1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 04:521 edit
    Originally posted by The Snapper
    It's maybe some parts of the US who are whining because they just cannot accept any form of criticism whatsoever of the precious US foreign policy.

The reason Europe is asking for better leadership from Obama is precisely because the US doesn't mind its own business in world affairs.

It is reasonable for those other powers involved in Afghanistan t ership on to someone who actually knows what he is doing.

Nothing unreasonable about that.
    LOL: The US can't take criticism? Who comes under more criticism than the US (other than Israel)?

===The reason Europe is asking for better leadership from Obama is precisely because the US doesn't mind its own business in world affairs.===

Catch-22
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 04:54
    Originally posted by Palynka
    How is that relevant? Nobody is asking Obama for more interventions. They're asking him to finish the mess they started and for which they requested help from their Nato allies.
    Maybe Germany or England can take over leadership for once and see how they enjoy being the leader and spending the lion's share of the resources only to come under endless criticism regardless of the results.
  3. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 05:02
    Originally posted by sh76
    LOL: The US can't take criticism? Who comes under more criticism than the US (other than Israel)?

===The reason Europe is asking for better leadership from Obama is precisely because the US doesn't mind its own business in world affairs.===

Catch-22
    So, you can't take it then, that's a shame.

And I was unaware that it was England and Germany that got you into the mess you're in.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 05:061 edit
    So, you can't take it then, that's a shame.
    Meaningless and baseless taunt. I don't run US foreign policy. You want to criticize US foreign policy? Go ahead. I do it too sometimes. The difference is that I'm fair about it.
  5. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 06:19
    Meaningless and baseless taunt. I don't run US foreign policy. You want to criticize US foreign policy? Go ahead. I do it too sometimes. The difference is that I'm fair about it.
    It's not meaningless and baseless, you obviously can't take any criticism directed at US foreign policy.
    And it was not intended as a taunt, I honestly believe that it is a shame that to a whole bunch of Americans, the US can do no wrong abroad. It is this attitude which has gotten the US into the hole it is in.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 11:16
    Maybe Germany or England can take over leadership for once and see how they enjoy being the leader and spending the lion's share of the resources only to come under endless criticism regardless of the results.
    Deal. When do we do this? If they decide to pull out immediately, I imagine you (not being a hypocrite) wouldn't whine. Correct?
  7. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 12:52
    no, they don't have the balls.

and apparently, nor does the US.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 13:223 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Deal. When do we do this? If they decide to pull out immediately, I imagine you (not being a hypocrite) wouldn't whine. Correct?
    Absolutely correct. I have said recently that I'm all for an Afghanistan pull out (at least of the ground troops).

Edit: Of course, last time we really left World affairs to the Europeans was after WWI. That worked out great; didn't it?
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 13:241 edit
    It's not meaningless and baseless, you obviously can't take any criticism directed at US foreign policy.
    And it was not intended as a taunt, I honestly believe that it is a shame that to a whole bunch of Americans, the US can do no wrong abroad. It is this attitude which has gotten the US into the hole it is in.
    The US can and sometimes does wrong abroad. I have no trouble admitting it. The Afghanistan policy has been a mess, the WMD "intelligence" was a joke and we should have crushed Germany when we had the chance and not enacted the sissy Marshall plan. (Okay; the last one was a joke.)

However, the US does plenty right abroad too and maybe some non-Americans can admit to that every once in a while.
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 13:26
    Absolutely correct. I have said recently that I'm all for an Afghanistan pull out (at least of the ground troops).
    If only we were in charge... 🙂
  11. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 13:31
    The US can and sometimes does wrong abroad. I have no trouble admitting it. The Afghanistan policy has been a mess, the WMD "intelligence" was a joke and we should have crushed Germany when we had the chance and not enacted the sissy Marshall plan. (Okay; the last one was a joke.)

However, the US does plenty right abroad too and maybe some non-Americans can admit to that every once in a while.
    I would agree with you there and I do admit to it when it is justified (and have done in previous threads).
  12. Pepperland
    Moves
    30 Oct '09 16:22

The US can and sometimes does wrong abroad. I have no trouble admitting it

you must be the first conservative american to say that in the forums.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree