1. Joined
    23 Feb '22
    Moves
    15 May '22 15:50
    Attacking from the West against Russia's best, they reached Kiev in six weeks.
    Putin must be having a fit after four months.
    Once again, Russia's "best" doesn't seem to be jack chit, barely making headway against a much smaller and inferior military.
    I'm sure Putin and his generals thought Ukraine would fold-up like a card table and surrender in a week or ten days at most when faced with Russia's enormous forces, and now Putin doesn't even know if he can trust his own military.
    Awesome story to follow in our time, almost as good as WW2.
    Let's hope it doesn't turn into WW3.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 May '22 15:55
    @jj-adams said
    Once again, Russia's "best" doesn't seem to be jack chit, barely making headway against a much smaller and inferior military.
    I'm sure Putin and his generals thought Ukraine would fold-up like a card table and surrender in a week or ten days at mos ...[text shortened]...
    Actually Kiev did not fall until September 19, 1941 about 3 months after Operation Barbossa kicked off on June 22, 1941. It took the Nazis until late November to capture all of the Ukraine.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 May '22 16:15
    Western Russia (Ukraine) in 1941/2 didn’t have billions of dollars worth of weaponry flowing into it weekly.

The comparison is rather wonky at best, propaganda at worst.
  4. Joined
    23 Feb '22
    Moves
    15 May '22 16:261 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Actually Kiev did not fall until September 19, 1941 about 3 months after Operation Barbossa kicked off on June 22, 1941. It took the Nazis until late November to capture all of the Ukraine.
    Yes, you are correct.
    I knew that and figured some quibbler would come up with that factoid.
    Hitler's forces tore through Ukraine and were at Kiev in 6 weeks, it took another 7 for Kiev to surrender.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 May '22 16:42
    @jj-adams said
    Yes, you are correct.
    I knew that and figured some quibbler would come up with that factoid.
    Hitler's forces tore through Ukraine and were at Kiev in 6 weeks, it took another 7 for Kiev to surrender.
    Actually, the advance to Kiev fell well behind schedule and Hitler had to pause Army Group Center's attack toward Moscow and divert both 2nd Panzer Group and 2nd Army to assist Army Group South. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kiev_(1941)

While this resulted in a smashing victory and encirclement of a entire Soviet Front (around 700,000 men), it has been argued by German commanders and others that this diversion cost the Nazis the chance to take Moscow.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 May '22 16:50
    @no1marauder said
    Actually, the advance to Kiev fell well behind schedule and Hitler had to pause Army Group Center's attack toward Moscow and divert both 2nd Panzer Group and 2nd Army to assist Army Group South. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kiev_(1941)

While this resulted in a smashing victory and encirclement of a entire Soviet Front (around 700,000 men), it has been argued by German commanders and others that this diversion cost the Nazis the chance to take Moscow.
    Mainly, that was the argument of the German commanders who were in charge of the drive to Moscow, like Guderian.

Even if they are right, occupying the capital without the southern flank secure would have been extremely risky warmaking. Napoleon occupied Moscow, but without his supply lines secured, he has no choice but to retreat into a catastophe.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 May '22 17:28
    @sh76 said
    Mainly, that was the argument of the German commanders who were in charge of the drive to Moscow, like Guderian.

Even if they are right, occupying the capital without the southern flank secure would have been extremely risky warmaking. Napoleon occupied Moscow, but without his supply lines secured, he has no choice but to retreat into a catastophe.
    I tend to agree that the diversion was strategically necessary.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 May '22 02:05
    @jj-adams said
    I'm sure Putin and his generals thought Ukraine would fold-up like a card table and surrender in a week or ten days at mos ...[text shortened]...
    Kiev is only halfway across the country

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree