1. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 19:04
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Zero substance, as expected.

Chinese culture, Spanish culture, Italian culture, Argentinian culture, etc. were not built by "cultural funding organizations".

Until you grasp that simple FACT, then you have no idea of what culture actually is.
    LOL, I guess you never heard of "patrons". Back in the day, Art and Music were funded largely by Royalty or the Church. Without cash from the state coffer, many of our greatest composers and artists would not have created what they did. The Sistine Chappel paintings, virtually every Opera and Ballet, sculptuers...these were all funded.

Today, the church's role has diminished, and the state has cut back its funding. Private donations make up a large percentage of the funding nowadays.

Sir, you are truly a monument to mediocrity. Rejoice!
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 19:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Italian culture is heavily influenced by the Renaissance painters who were indeed funded by "cultural funding organizations" of a sort.

Right?
    Nevermind the facts ATY. Palynka just likes disagreeing with me.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 19:141 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Yeah but what have you done for me lately?
    HOH asked for true Canadians. Are you suggesting a true canadian has some kind of time limit to his "true Canadian-ness"?

Any doorknob can list current canadians.

Or, are you suggesting the ones i listed are no longer relevant to modern day Canadians and that modern day canadians can't relate to these historical figures? If that's the case, then you sir are in for a tongue lashing!
  4. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 19:50
    Originally posted by uzless
    HOH asked for true Canadians. Are you suggesting a true canadian has some kind of time limit to his "true Canadian-ness"?

Any doorknob can list current canadians.

Or, are you suggesting the ones i listed are no longer relevant to modern day Canadians and that modern day canadians can't relate to these historical figures? If that's the case, then you sir are in for a tongue lashing!
    I think he's suggesting that you're a blackhole of Nemisioesque tedium.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 20:07
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    I think he's suggesting that you're a blackhole of Nemisioesque tedium.
    I don't think anyone would accuse you or your kind of being able to concentrate on one subject for more than 2 minutes.

I wonder, have you EVER had a conversation with someone on the same subject that lasted for more than a few minutes before you got bored and wandered off like some cow that came down to the river but forgot why?
  6. Playing with matches
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 22:41
    I don't think anyone would accuse you or your kind of being able to concentrate on one subject for more than 2 minutes.

I wonder, have you EVER had a conversation with someone on the same subject that lasted for more than a few minutes before you got bored and wandered off like some cow that came down to the river but forgot why?
    Did you know that cows can run about 40mph when properly motivated?
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 09:271 edit
    LOL, I guess you never heard of "patrons". Back in the day, Art and Music were funded largely by Royalty or the Church. Without cash from the state coffer, many of our greatest composers and artists would not have created what they did. The Sistine Chappel paintings, virtually every Opera and Ballet, sculptuers...these were all funded.

Today, the church percentage of the funding nowadays.

Sir, you are truly a monument to mediocrity. Rejoice!
    You completely missed the point. Culture is much more than "Art and Music" (lulz). The identity of modern Italian culture, for example, owes more to the espresso than to the paintings of the Sistine Chapel.
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 09:38
    You completely missed the point. Culture is much more than "Art and Music" (lulz). The identity of modern Italian culture, for example, owes more to the espresso than to the paintings of the Sistine Chapel.
    Was Italian culture Italian culture before the Renaissance (before Italy even came into existence)?
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 14:35
    Of course art and music aren't the ONLY aspects of a culture. Come on, this is obvious.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree