1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 06:541 edit
    Your thoughts, please, besides Waltz's exquisite performance.
  2. Standard memberPariah325
    Knife Wielder
    In the shadows...
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 14:42
    Liked it. Thought it was pretty darkly comical. When there was violence, it was done as graphically as possible, but the movie wasn't just a constant blood-bath for 2hours and 40 minutes. At one stage early in the movie (let's say the second quarter or so) it moved kind of slowly, but it picked back up after that.
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 18:40
    Entertainig. Packed a lot into a movie - violence, comedy, suspense. Not a classic but a good ride.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    07 Sep '09 19:56
    Good insights.

I have a question: what in your opinion makes it a Tarantino movie and, on the other side, what surprised you?

I was expecting a blood bath, indeed, though I may say I quite enjoyed the switch into another kind of violence, less graphic and more, well, humorously sadistic.

What do you think?
  5. Standard memberPariah325
    Knife Wielder
    In the shadows...
    Moves
    08 Sep '09 03:09
    What makes a QT movie? Tragedy. Scenes where nobody comes out alive. Blood, sudden gunshots/violence, cussing, dark humor. Like the scene in the basement (the worst part about fighting in a basement is you're fighting in a basement) where nobody really comes out alive. Sorta like Reservoir Dogs (end scene where nice guy, the old man, Mr. Orange and Mr. Blue all die) and True Romance (scene where all the cops, mobsters, and movie people get killed at the final drug-deal).
  6. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    08 Sep '09 14:25
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Good insights.

I have a question: what in your opinion makes it a Tarantino movie and, on the other side, what surprised you?

I was expecting a blood bath, indeed, though I may say I quite enjoyed the switch into another kind of violence, less graphic and more, well, humorously sadistic.

What do you think?
    It wasn't a bloodbath? That's what I was expecting too.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    08 Sep '09 18:061 edit
    Originally posted by rbmorris
    It wasn't a bloodbath? That's what I was expecting too.
    I am sure some UCLA film graduate student teamed up with a peer from NYU's cultural studies department and wrote a doctoral dissertation on Tarantino with an empirical chapter containing a comparative blood/minute ratio per movie.

I have still to find it, though. In the meanwhile, my impression is that this one contained less explicit violence that the previous ones.
  8. Standard memberPariah325
    Knife Wielder
    In the shadows...
    Moves
    08 Sep '09 22:12
    Originally posted by Seitse
    I am sure some UCLA film graduate student teamed up with a peer from NYU's cultural studies department and wrote a doctoral dissertation on Tarantino with an empirical chapter containing a comparative blood/minute ratio per movie.

I have still to find it, though. In the meanwhile, my impression is that this one contained less explicit violence that the previous ones.
    Oh, don't get me wrong - the violence is there. It's just not like in Reservoir dogs where the guy just bleeds for the entire movie. More like True Romance or Pulp Fiction.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree