Good Quality TV, Thread 2: Black Mirror

Good Quality TV, Thread 2: Black Mirror

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
28 Dec 11

A mini-series consisting on three free-standing, provocative dramas that offer takes on the current condition of the public domain in the U.K.

Anyone seen it?

D
incipit parodia

Moves
28 Dec 11

Originally posted by FMF
A mini-series consisting on three free-standing, provocative dramas that offer takes on the current condition of the public domain in the U.K.

Anyone seen it?
Indeed - one of my TV highlights of 2011. It's the brainchild of Charlie Brooker (who I adore anyway, even if his Guardian columns have lost a bit of bite recently) and he wrote or co-wrote 2 of the 3 episodes. It was billed, probably because Brooker's name was attached to it, as 'dark comedy' but really I think 'dark drama' suits it better (even the first episode, which seems like it will be funny, just isn't, and isn't meant to be, I don't think). It's slightly more narrow than just 'current affairs', though - more a look at the current state of the media.

I really can't recommend it highly enough.

(If you're looking for more 'traditional' Brooker fare, Sky 1 - of all channels - will be airing his detective show spoof about one 'DCI Cloth' entitled, ahem, 'A Touch of Cloth', in the near future.)