1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 03:31
    Alex Smith vs Colin Kaepernick.

CK tore it up against a tough Bears defense last Monday, playing A++ veteran level football.

AS was out with a concussion, and is expected to be cleared soon. Kaepernick's performance has sparked a quarterback controversy, and Coach Harbaugh has been tight lipped over who the starter will be from here going forward.

So, who should start for the 49ers?
  2. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 08:33
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Alex Smith vs Colin Kaepernick.

CK tore it up against a tough Bears defense last Monday, playing A++ veteran level football.

AS was out with a concussion, and is expected to be cleared soon. Kaepernick's performance has sparked a quarterback controversy, and Coach Harbaugh has been tight lipped over who the starter will be from here going forward.

So, who should start for the 49ers?
    You should. You should start for the 49ers. After the game, you can solve world hunger and cure cancer.

Alex Smith apparently disn't practice much this week. He's got it all over the other guy. It's not even close, but if Kae-whatever had more first-team reps this week, then this week and this week only, he starts.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 03:29
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    You should. You should start for the 49ers. After the game, you can solve world hunger and cure cancer.

Alex Smith apparently disn't practice much this week. He's got it all over the other guy. It's not even close, but if Kae-whatever had more first-team reps this week, then this week and this week only, he starts.
    Smith hasn't all over Kaepernick?

I couldn't disagree more. Passing has been the weak link to the 49ers offense ever since Smith was picked 1st overall in the draft.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 04:08
    Smith hasn't all over Kaepernick?

I couldn't disagree more. Passing has been the weak link to the 49ers offense ever since Smith was picked 1st overall in the draft.
    What's Smith's record as a starter? Have you seen the stat comparison?

Harbaugh drafted Smith as a franchise quarterback. If Harbaugh truly wants to go with the hot hand, as he said, then he set a torch to his bridge with Amith for no good purpose. You're not supposed to lose your job to injury. That's code. If Smith weren't playing well, that would be one thing, but the 49ers have a great record and are a near lock to win their division. What happens if Kaepernik has a bad day on Sunday? Back to Smith?

Harbaugh created a quarterback controversy where there was none, for no reason.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 04:40

Harbaugh drafted Smith as a franchise quarterback. If Harbaugh truly wants to go with the hot hand, as he said, then he set a torch to his bridge with Amith for no good purpose. You're not supposed to lose your job to injury. That's code. If Smith weren't playing well, that w ...[text shortened]... Smith?

Ummm, Harbaugh did not draft Smith, he inherited him.
    He drafted Kaepernick.
  6. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 04:52
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Ummm, Harbaugh did not draft Smith, he inherited him.
    He drafted Kaepernick.
    I disn't say that Harbaugh drafted Smith. I said that the 49ers drafted Smith. No need to draft Kaepernik.
  7. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 06:242 edits

Harbaugh drafted Smith as a franchise quarterback. If Harbaugh truly wants to go with the hot hand, as he said, then he set a torch to his bridge with Amith for no good purpose. You're not supposed to lose your job to injury. That's code. If Smith weren't playing well, that w ...[text shortened]... Smith?

What's Smith's record or the team's record? The 49ers have been winning on the backs of a dominant Defense and running game.

Smith has played subpar football against 4 of 8 teams he's played against this year. Even Superbowl Champion teams replace starting players with better players.

I agree you shouldn't lose your job to injury. You always lose your job if the couch thinks the next guy can do it better.
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 07:01
    I disn't say that Harbaugh drafted Smith. I said that the 49ers drafted Smith. No need to draft Kaepernik.
    Here was your quote, which prompted my correction.

Harbaugh drafted Smith as a franchise quarterback. If Harbaugh truly wants to go with the hot hand, as he said, then he set a torch to his bridge with Amith for no good purpose.
  9. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Nov '12 09:011 edit

[b]Harbaugh drafted Smith as a franchise quarterback. If Harbaugh truly wants to go with the hot hand, as he said, then he set a torch to his bridge with Amith for no good purpose.
    [/b]
    Yeah I missed that. Smith's been there for years before Harbaugh came in. In fact, he traded down to pick up Kaepernick in the 2nd round.

Reading it again it couldn't have been a typo either.
  10. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 04:191 edit

[b]Harbaugh drafted Smith as a franchise quarterback. If Harbaugh truly wants to go with the hot hand, as he said, then he set a torch to his bridge with Amith for no good purpose.
    [/b]
    Yeah I did say that Harbaugh drafted Smith. My bad. I get lazy going off of my iPhone.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 04:44
    I really don't understand why Smith would be benched. He was completing 70% of his passes with 13 TDs and only 5 INTs and his team was winning. If Harbaugh thought Kaepernick was a better QB than him, than K should have been starting from Week 1. Smith did nothing to lose the job.
  12. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 06:051 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I really don't understand why Smith would be benched. He was completing 70% of his passes with 13 TDs and only 5 INTs and his team was winning. If Harbaugh thought Kaepernick was a better QB than him, than K should have been starting from Week 1. Smith did nothing to lose the job.
    The problem isn't how the numbers look when you average all of Smith's games together. It's his inconsistency. Putting up record numbers against the Bills still only gets you 1 win.

He played subpar to poor in 4 our of 8 full starts. The 49ers have a dominant defense and running game. Of course they have a winning record.

Smith tends to throw short, high percentage passes (he's last in the league for pass attempts over 15 yards). He hangs onto to the ball and takes a sack, instead of throwing it away or attempting a pass. That adds to his percentages. The Saints were busting threw the O-line and putting their hands all over Kaepernick, yet he never took a sack.
  13. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 16:11
    Haters are going to hate, man. What else do you need to know?
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Nov '12 21:411 edit
    The problem isn't how the numbers look when you average all of Smith's games together. It's his inconsistency. Putting up record numbers against the Bills still only gets you 1 win.

He played subpar to poor in 4 our of 8 full starts. The 49ers have a dominant defense and running game. Of course they have a winning record.

Smith tends to thr ting threw the O-line and putting their hands all over Kaepernick, yet he never took a sack.
    Subpar to poor? When? He had one bad game against the Giants; they'll do that to a QB when they are on. His numbers weren't great against the Jets, but his team won 34-0. His stats were nothing special against the Vikes and Seahawks, but I wouldn't describe them as "subpar".

If you have a dominant defense and a great running game, what you want your QB to do is to avoid turnovers and make a few plays. That's what Smith does. He's fifth in the league in QB rating. He's thrown only 5 picks. He takes sacks rather than put the ball up for grabs which is what a ball control team wants their QB to do. Granted his not a fantasy football dream, but he's been effective.

The Saints have the worst defense in the league by far (they give up 44 more yards per game than the next worst defense!) and Kaepernick could only get the offense in the end zone two times. He couldn't close the deal against the Rams. If Smith is now benched, he is benched after hitting 25 of 27 for 304 and 4 TDs with 0 INTs in his last two starts! That's ridiculous.

EDIT: Granted, Kaepernick played very well against the Bears.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Nov '12 00:20
    Subpar to poor? When? He had one bad game against the Giants; they'll do that to a QB when they are on. His numbers weren't great against the Jets, but his team won 34-0. His stats were nothing special against the Vikes and Seahawks, but I wouldn't describe them as "subpar".

If you have a dominant defense and a great running game, what ...[text shortened]... ! That's ridiculous.

EDIT: Granted, Kaepernick played very well against the Bears.
    I'm scared! I am agreeing with you on almost every post lately. It is a slippery slope Harbaugh has embarked upon and in the end karma may be hell. Smith is not all that great, but neither is Kaepernick. Subpar QB's in NFL abound. Smith is not one of them. Romo is, Jason Campbell is, and even the alleged future greats like Newton other than last night have not outplayed Smith. Losing a job to injury is not good. It breaks an unwritten rule and punishes a player for trying hard and ending up injured in the process. Also it may lead to players hiding being concussed. I am beginning to really dislike this Harbaugh character. NO loyalty to Stanford and now none to his players, the winning ones no less!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree