1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    28 Dec '12 20:13
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Good coaches make players better. Steve Young was horrible with the Bucs and Bill Walsh and his staff turned him into a Hall of Fame QB.

[b]"Its also funny to note that Navorrow Bowmann, Chris Maragos, and Mike Iupati were all drafted when Singletary was the caoch but he was fired before ever getting a chance to use them."

False. ...[text shortened]... n earth do you claim he didn't get a chance to use them? Why would you even bring up Maragos?[/b]
    He was fired after that year. I bring up Maragos because he is a good player.

Position coaches develop players better but they don't make their ceiling higher.

Everybody knew the team was talented and everybody expected them to finally emerge season after season. I already conceded that harbaugh is obviously more competent than the previous coaches and thus deserves the job. However, he still has not proven he is a "high caliber" coach. What he did in san diego and at stanford don't mean squat in the NFL. The coach of my team won more than one NCAA championship and I would have been ecstatic had he come to coach the UW Huskies but he has also hasn't done anything of significance in the NFL. He's made the team a contender but that's a long shot from a winner.
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 06:57
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    He was fired after that year. I bring up Maragos because he is a good player.

Position coaches develop players better but they don't make their ceiling higher.

Everybody knew the team was talented and everybody expected them to finally emerge season after season. I already conceded that harbaugh is obviously more competent than the previous coaches a ...[text shortened]... ificance in the NFL. He's made the team a contender but that's a long shot from a winner.
    I wasn't propping Harbaugh up as a legend, just that he's a very good coach. He's certainly respectable enough that he would base his QB situation on what he thinks is best for the team, not ego. Suggesting otherwise with zero evidence just screams biased homerism.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 07:15
    I wasn't propping Harbaugh up as a legend, just that he's a very good coach. He's certainly respectable enough that he would base his QB situation on what he thinks is best for the team, not ego. Suggesting otherwise with zero evidence just screams biased homerism.
    I don't see how suspecting him to be egocentric "screams" biased homerism. My investment in the Seahawks has nothing to do with my opinion of harbaugh.

I would say you have been the biased homer in these discussions by putting your coach up on a pedestal he doesn't deserve. Why else would he change qbs mid season when the original starter was playing well? Does he really believe Kaepernick gives them such better chances to win the Superbowl? I know you keep spouting this crap about how the team wins games, the defense did it for him but the qb is the most pivotal spot... The bears arguably have a better d when it comes to carrying a team( ie getting turnovers and scoring points) and look at their record, its because of inconsistent quarterback play.

Saying that he must have some "respectable" secret knowledge as to why Kaepernick should start over Smith halfway through the season just screams biased homerism. Their is NO reason to remove a starter playing as well as Smith was especially when Kaepernick has not put up the consistent numbers Smith has. Now fans are screaming for Smith and with good reason... He had the better passer rating and the best completion % in the league. Harbaugh's actions scream huge ego.
  4. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 17:402 edits
    I don't see how suspecting him to be egocentric "screams" biased homerism. My investment in the Seahawks has nothing to do with my opinion of harbaugh.

I would say you have been the biased homer in these discussions by putting your coach up on a pedestal he doesn't deserve. Why else would he change qbs mid season when the original starter was playing w asser rating and the best completion % in the league. Harbaugh's actions scream huge ego.
    Did I say suspecting he's egocentric screams homerism? Or did I say asserting he made the QB decision based on ego does?

There are lots of valid reasons to believe Kaepernick is the better choice, and there are valid arguments why Smith should start. He's had, what, five or six starts and he's already putting up similar numbers to the 9 year veteran. Almost everyone agrees Kaepernick has the higher ceiling, who is playing better this year is hotly debated so it's at least close, and the 49ers can free up $8.5 million to their salary cap. This way they can keep players who really are irreplaceable.

With all this being said, you're free to disagree. But claiming ego is the only plausible reason for the switch is laughable. There are lots of professional sports analysts (many of whom are former players and coaches) who think it was a ballsy, but good move.

I disagree with your assertion that Jim Haurbaugh is so incompetent and so worthless so as to make such a huge, important decision over ego. That's not a very high pedestal

BTW, which fans "are screaming for Smith"? I'm a 49ers fan and I'm certainly not.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 21:21
    Did I say suspecting he's egocentric screams homerism? Or did I say asserting he made the QB decision based on ego does?

There are lots of valid reasons to believe Kaepernick is the better choice, and there are valid arguments why Smith should start. He's had, what, five or six starts and he's already putting up similar numbers to the 9 y ...[text shortened]... W, which fans "are screaming for Smith"? I'm a 49ers fan and I'm certainly not.
    Whatever. Keep misrepresenting me, twisting words, and using italics to defend fllacies. I'm done arguing with someone exhibiting more biased homerism than even myself.
  6. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    29 Dec '12 23:26
    Whatever. Keep misrepresenting me, twisting words, and using italics to defend fllacies. I'm done arguing with someone exhibiting more biased homerism than even myself.
    Which words did I misrepresent, exactly?
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Dec '12 14:32

There are lots of valid reasons to believe Kaepernick is the better choice, and there are valid arguments why Smith should start. He's had, what, five or six starts and he's already putting up similar numbers to the 9 y ...[text shortened]... W, which fans "are screaming for Smith"? I'm a 49ers fan and I'm certainly not.
    The 49ers are a good team with either starter at QB. I think most of the surprise at the move was because it violated the unwritten rule that a starter doesn't lose his job if he gets injured. Harbaugh obviously thinks CK is a better choice at QB for reasons you have already stated: he is more mobile and better "deep" passer. Smith is a very accurate passer who doesn't make many mistakes. The 49ers probably don't lose to the Rams if Smith is in but quite possibly they don't beat the Patriots if he is.

If the 49ers don't go deep in the playoffs as was expected of them before the season started, the switch will get a lot of the blame. If they do, all will be forgiven and forgotten. Either way, Harbaugh will be the Niner coach and CK will be their QB in 2013 in all probability and Smith will move on.
  8. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 01:16
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The 49ers are a good team with either starter at QB. I think most of the surprise at the move was because it violated the unwritten rule that a starter doesn't lose his job if he gets injured. Harbaugh obviously thinks CK is a better choice at QB for reasons you have already stated: he is more mobile and better "deep" passer. Smith is a very accurate pas ...[text shortened]... he Niner coach and CK will be their QB in 2013 in all probability and Smith will move on.
    Nothing but a cup full of rationality in this post. ^^^^
  9. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 04:14
    Go 9ers!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 04:48
    Nothing but a cup full of rationality in this post. ^^^^
    Since you won the bet I completely agree.
  11. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 20:53
    Since you won the bet I completely agree.
    Ha! A man of honor, you are.

I forgot all about that bet to be honest. I had planned on making a thread about how bad the Seahawks suck so you can be my yes man, but I've had a change of heart. They're obviously a very good team and I'd rather hear your honest opinions.

You usually make intelligent arguments, unless you're disagreeing with me. Then they're crap.
  12. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 Dec '12 22:07
    Ha! A man of honor, you are.

I forgot all about that bet to be honest. I had planned on making a thread about how bad the Seahawks suck so you can be my yes man, but I've had a change of heart. They're obviously a very good team and I'd rather hear your honest opinions.

You usually make intelligent arguments, unless you're disagreeing with me. Then they're crap.
    Only cos you're a niners fan. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree