Race and sports

Race and sports

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
08 Jan 17

The NFL is now dominated by black players. Are there no good white players?

The MLB is recruiting from Cuba and other nations. Are there no great baseball players in America?

What is happening? Why are white players not good enough?

c

Moves
08 Jan 17

Don't forget the NBA, mostly black.

Where are the white athletes?

st johnstone

Moves
09 Jan 17

Originally posted by chaney3

playing golf

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
14 Jan 17

The MLB is recruiting from Cuba and other nations. Are there no great baseball players in America?

Yes, there are some good white athletes, but many of them don't go in for a sports career after college. opting instead for business, law, medicine etc. Black players typically look upon college as a farm system for the NFL, NBA, or MLB. Not always, of course, but generally so.

rain

Moves
16 Jan 17

Don't forget Olympic track & field. And recently, women's gymnastics, dominated by Simone Biles.

rain

Moves
17 Jan 17

Originally posted by mchill
Yes, there are some good white athletes, but many of them don't go in for a sports career after college. opting instead for business, law, medicine etc. Black players typically look upon college as a farm system for the NFL, NBA, or MLB. Not always, of course, but generally so.
If they went to college for sports and ended up somewhere else, it usually means they weren't good enough to play professionally. Pro sports pays FAR more than business, law, medicine, etc.

RIP Mghrn55

United States

Moves
20 Jan 17

Originally posted by vivify
If they went to college for sports and ended up somewhere else, it usually means they weren't good enough to play professionally. Pro sports pays FAR more than business, law, medicine, etc.
agreed. But I think baseball still has the numbers in white players. I think it is just more evenly spread out among many cultures. Also, there are far more sports then the ones we have listed here. How about hockey? All white. Truthfully, it does not matter to me if they are white are not. Come Olympics, I only care if they are from the US as we all hope for our countries to do well. I also think one reason for going after other players from other countries is money. They can get almost as good, or as good, and in some cases better athletes else where, however, they are paying them less then half of what the Americans are getting. Just my humble opinion. And I live in the United States, PA

old pueblo

Moves
05 Feb 17

I could be totally wrong, but it could be a work ethic thing. Do you want to recruit a kid who's been raised to be a primadonna, or one who is hungry to work hard and prove himself?

I'm not saying that this is really happening, but I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

JO

Moves
09 Mar 17

Playing 2 on 2 in a suburban driveway does not prepare you for playing at an inner-city park.