1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 04:481 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    You guys really do believe in Cinderella, don't you? This is business...it is a job. Screw your loyalty, woulda coulda shoulda attitude. Let's look at it like this. If you want a better job than the one you have and one gets dumped in your lap, do you take it and run, or do you turn it down because you are presently working on a project that isn't quite a job...nothing more. Please stop trying to place your moral or ethical values on it.
    Of course, coaches like Kelly and Arod have the right to leave as they did, however, all I am saying is that rules should be made to prevent them from doing so the way they did.

As for Kelly getting a step up, we will see about that. Right now he is king of the hill where he is now with the oppurtunity to achieve national respect that might help one day elevate Cincy to where ND once was. As for ND, perhaps they are headed in a downward spiral much like Michigan? If so, Kelly is bording a sinking ship along side Rodriguez.

Of course, what should be done for both the players and fans always takes a back seat to the financial aspect, however, I can dream, can't I?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 16:47
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    No, his values have nothing to do with Cincinnati's W-L record. If you are going to be mad at anyone, you should be mad at ND who demanded that he be on the job January 1st if he wanted the job.

You really believe he didn't want to coach the game? In your mind's eye, I guess you feel he should have turned down his dream job and honored his "commitmen ...[text shortened]... efore. Get over your fan self and get a grip on this wonderful thing called the real world.
    I think you are naive if you think Notre Dame is 100% "a dream job" and just not a pay day for Kelly. Notre Dame is scum for demanding Kelly to leave midseason and Kelly is extraordinarily selfish for leaving in the middle of a season that would be historic for Cincinnati. It is undeniable that Kelly put his interests ahead of the team, the school and the fans (only considering your interests is by definition selfish).
    As I stated before ordinary people give reasonable notice before they leave jobs. For example, I finished the school year before I left teaching even though my new job was far superior. I am not special this is the norm in the real world. It would have been reasonable for a coach (who actually is supposed to be an educator) to complete the season and I think the NCAA should require it.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 18:27
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I think you are naive if you think Notre Dame is 100% "a dream job" and just not a pay day for Kelly. Notre Dame is scum for demanding Kelly to leave midseason and Kelly is extraordinarily selfish for leaving in the middle of a season that would be historic for Cincinnati. It is undeniable that Kelly put his interests ahead of the team, the school and ...[text shortened]... is supposed to be an educator) to complete the season and I think the NCAA should require it.
    Normally I would agree with you...but you'll have to admit, NCAA sports frequently does not work like the real world.😏
  4. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '09 19:17
    Originally posted by bill718
    Normally I would agree with you...but you'll have to admit, NCAA sports frequently does not work like the real world.😏
    I agree that NCAA sports is not like the "real world". I am not surprised by Notre Dame's demands or Kelly's acceptance. I just called Kelly's actions what I believe they are: selfish.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 07:10
    I think you are naive if you think Notre Dame is 100% "a dream job" and just not a pay day for Kelly. Notre Dame is scum for demanding Kelly to leave midseason and Kelly is extraordinarily selfish for leaving in the middle of a season that would be historic for Cincinnati. It is undeniable that Kelly put his interests ahead of the team, the school and ...[text shortened]... is supposed to be an educator) to complete the season and I think the NCAA should require it.
    Better check your facts again. First of all, it has been Kelly's dream job since he entered coaching (his words, not mine...I only repeated them).

Second, Notre Dame shelled a significantly more coin than Cincy was capable of and when they said they needed their coach in place by January 1st to make recuiting pushes, it was not an unreasonable request as employer. Your statement that it is customary that people give plenty of notice before leaving their job just is not true. I hire and fire employees on a regular basis. Employers don't tend to give notice prior to terminating, and it is rare to get two weeks notice when an employee leaves. Kelly gave Cincy nearly a month. Cincy told him to take a hike because he wasn't going to be allowed to coach the bowl game.

I am not sure where you come off thinking that Kelly owes anything to Cincy. They paid him to do a job, and he exceeded their benchmarks they required him to hit. It sounds to me like Cincy got a great deal. And Cincy is never going to be confused as a long term national power, any more than Utah, Boise State or TCU will be. They are having some success right now, but they will not maintain it over a long period.

Fans are way too fickle to ever be given much credence in their whims. They howl at the coach when the team goes bad, and they tend to praise the players when the team goes good. In most cases, the coach is an afterthought. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part this is true.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '09 15:431 edit
    I can fully understand that Notre Dame could indeed be a "dream job". Notre Dame has a certain "aura and mystique" about it that might only be comparable to the New York Yankees (and perhaps the Boston Celtics). If indeed it's been Kelly's lifelong ambition to coach at Notre Dame, he will probably be happy with it.

But if Kelly is just jumping to the gr$$ner pasture in hopes that a few more dollars and a couple more ounces of prestige will make him happy, he's likely to be disappointed. I suppose a national championship would make it all worthwhile, but anything less is probably going to be a huge disappointment.

I do agree that the NCAA should require that all coaches finish the season with their team before moving to a new college team. And surely there would have been no harm in allowing Kelly to coach the final game this season. The Notre Dame contract could have been set to start the day after Cincinnati's bowl game.

On the other hand, maybe Kelly didn't really WANT to be coaching that game, since it would force him to deal face to face with the players he's walking away from. I'm sure a good number of the underclassmen would have a lot of rage to vent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree