1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 00:06
    Johnny Football (Manziel) of Texas A&M (beat Alabama, and their two losses were close against Florida and LSU) apparently has a decent shot to win the Heisman. And he is a redshirt freshman.

Texas A&M Aggies quarterback Johnny Manziel leads Scripps Heisman Poll

In its 77-year history, the Heisman Trophy has never been given to a freshman. But "Johnny Football" has never been on the Heisman ballot before. Texas A&M's freshman quarterback, Johnny Manziel, is poised to make history when this year's Heisman Trophy is awarded on Dec. 8. He leads the Scripps Heisman Poll with 47 points, receiving first-place votes from eight of the 10 pollsters. . . .

Manziel has another chance to impress the Heisman voters this Saturday when Texas A&M (9-2, 9th in BCS rankings) hosts Missouri (5-6). . . .

The Scripps poll is the longest running Heisman poll in the nation. Since its inception in 1987, it has correctly picked the Heisman winner in its final weekly poll 21 of 25 years, including Robert Griffin III last year. Ten Heisman voters each selected five players this week, and points are awarded on a 5-4-3-2-1 basis, with five points for a first-place vote, four points for second, etc.

This week's top five:

Player, School, Season Stats, Poll Points (first-place votes in parentheses).

1. QB Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M, 3,047 passing yards, 67.7 completion pct., 21 TDs, 7 ints., 1,114 rushing yards, 17 TDs, 47 (8).

2. QB Collin Klein, Kansas State, 2,306 passing yards, 69.7 completion pct., 12 TDs, 3 interceptions, 787 rushing yards, 20 TDs, 32 (1).

3. LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame, 98 tackles, 6 interceptions, 2 fumbles recovered, 1.5 sacks, 27 (1).

4. WR/KR Marqise Lee, USC, 107 receptions, 1,605 yards, 14 TDs, 704 return yards, 1 TD, 107 rushing yards, 11.

5. RB Kenjon Barner, Oregon, 1,426 rushing yards, 19 TDs, 19 receptions, 1 TD, 10.

http://www.kjrh.com/dpp/sports/local_sports/texas-am-aggies-quarterback-johnny-manziel-leads-scripps-heisman-poll#ixzz2Cu9NqLVC
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 00:09
    From ESPN
    Now that we are entering the last legs of the Heisman Trophy race, Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin is firmly backing his guy. And why not? Johnny Manziel has been on fire during his first year of college ball. The redshirt freshman quarterback has become the new true Heisman frontrunner after another successful weekend in which he threw for 267 yards and rushed for another 100 with five total touchdowns against Sam Houston State. Forget the opponent and look at his body of work: Manziel is the first SEC player, first freshman and fifth NCAA FBS player to pass for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in a season. He also has 38 total touchdowns.

Saturday was his eighth straight game with 300 or more total yards of offense and he has broken the school record for total offense in a season (4,161 yards). "You can put those numbers up against anybody that's not only played this year [but] who's ever played the game," Sumlin said Wednesday. "For a single season, they speak for themselves."

Just put them up against past SEC Heisman winners Cam Newton and Tim Tebow and it's easy to see why Manziel is getting so much of his deserved Heisman love.

Manziel has been arguably the nation's most exciting player to watch this year, but he has not been made available to the media. Per school rules, first-year players aren't allowed to speak to the media. Well, that's all about to change. Sumlin said on Wednesday that he will finally let Johnny Football speak before the Heisman ceremony on Dec. 8. "We'll have a plan for him to be available next week," Sumlin said.

While Sumlin is happy with the Heisman attention Manziel has received, he's disappointed that another player on his team hasn't received much notoriety nationally at all. Defensive end Damontre Moore has been one of the most overlooked players on defense this year. He leads A&M with 78 tackles and is tied for first nationally in tackles for loss (20) and sacks (12.5). He has totally dominated opposing linemen this year, after moving from outside linebacker to defensive end. Yet, he isn't up for any national defensive awards, which shocks his head coach. "I was extremely surprised that he's not been on any of those lists," Sumlin said. "I'm very surprised by that, based on his numbers too."

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/56303/sumlin-revs-up-manziels-heisman-campaign
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    22 Nov '12 05:37
    Don't pin the freshman yet. If Notre Dame finishes business at USC and goes in as #1
    in the BCS, Manti Te'o may be one of the few defenders to win the Heisman. He is the
    heart and soul of the defense, and his story is too much to ignore among the voters.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    23 Nov '12 20:35
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Don't pin the freshman yet. If Notre Dame finishes business at USC and goes in as #1
    in the BCS, Manti Te'o may be one of the few defenders to win the Heisman. He is the
    heart and soul of the defense, and his story is too much to ignore among the voters.
    It would be interesting for a defensive player to win the Heisman. As of now, the A&M redshirt freshmen QB Johnny Football is apparently in the "lead". But, again, it would be wild to see a defensive player win the Heisman.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    23 Nov '12 22:13
    Originally posted by moon1969
    It would be interesting for a defensive player to win the Heisman. As of now, the A&M redshirt freshmen QB Johnny Football is apparently in the "lead". But, again, it would be wild to see a defensive player win the Heisman.
    It has already happened before.

Remember Charles Woodson won it in 1997?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Nov '12 22:38

Woodson, while primarily a defensive player, also returned punts (1 for a TD) and was used as a wide receiver: 11 catches, 231 yards and 2 TDs in 1997.http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/charles-woodson-1.html
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 14:29
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Woodson, while primarily a defensive player, also returned punts (1 for a TD) and was used as a wide receiver: 11 catches, 231 yards and 2 TDs in 1997.http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/charles-woodson-1.html
    So, you are saying Woodson was an offensive player??
    Who cares if he returned punts, he was a defensive back.
    In the pros he was a defensive back.

Should I point out then an offensive player plays defensive back on occasion, and call
    him a defensive back too? That has also happened.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 14:54
    So, you are saying Woodson was an offensive player??
    Who cares if he returned punts, he was a defensive back.
    In the pros he was a defensive back.

Should I point out then an offensive player plays defensive back on occasion, and call
    him a defensive back too? That has also happened.
    I'm saying he was a multipurpose player who made significant contributions on special teams and offense. Are you disagreeing with that?
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 16:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'm saying he was a multipurpose player who made significant contributions on special teams and offense. Are you disagreeing with that?
    I am not disagreeing, but the point I am making is he was "primarily" a defensive player.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Nov '12 21:481 edit
    I am not disagreeing, but the point I am making is he was "primarily" a defensive player.
    I doubt he would have won the trophy absent the other contributions. If Te'o wins, it would be a historic first IMO.
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 09:31
    Manziel passing 3419 yards and 24 TD/8 int, rushing 1181 yards and 19 TDs

Looks like more and more of the national media are jumping on the Manziel bandwagon. I would say he is definitely the leading contender for the Heisman. He is an exciting player with intangibles, quick feet, vision, strong arm, speed, acceleration, etc., and has more yards than Heisman winners Cam Newton and Tim Tebow. He broke the SEC record for total yards. He was also the leading rusher this year in the SEC (and again he is a QB, not a RB).

I am surprised at how he is able to scramble around for several seconds (and you would think he would be disoriented) but still able to complete the pass to a receiver out of route. He clearly made a difference in the team success of 10-2 and beating Alabama (they lost 17-20 to Florida and 19-24 to LSU) in arguably the best conference in college football.
  12. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 09:371 edit

I think it would be interesting and good for a defensive player to win the Heisman, and know it has happened before. I like Manti Te'o because of his intangibles and being a leader.

I did see this below listed from a pro-Manziel and anti-Te'o person. I am not saying I agree with the conclusion or how presented.
    Te'o stats before the USC game.

Total tackles: 39th in the nation
    Solo Tackles: 81st in the nation
    Sacks: Not in the top 100 (2 ahead of him on his own team)
    Tackles for loss: not in top 100 (2 ahead of him on his own team)
    INTs: Tied for 2nd in the nation with 6 (1st place guy has 8). 5 of those INTs came against unranked teams.
    Passes Defended: 45th in the nation
    Fumbles forced: not in top 100

Yeah, that's a Heisman trophy winner. Look at Manziel's numbers against his competition. There is no comparison, Manziel wins
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 13:14
    I think it would be interesting and good for a defensive player to win the Heisman, and know it has happened before. I like Manti Te'o because of his intangibles and being a leader.

I did see this below listed from a pro-Manziel and anti-Te'o person. I am not saying I agree with the conclusion or how presented.
    Te'o stats before the USC game. ...[text shortened]... at Manziel's numbers against his competition. There is no comparison, Manziel wins
    Are you surprised an aggie would produce this while promoting their own??

Now, let's turn the tables on Johnny a bit.

Kelly did not restrict Te'o from the media all season.

Manziel did not suffer the mental anguish and personal losses of family and girlfriend
    just prior to the start of the season and play through it all season.

Manziel did not endure the spotlight, nor was he the heart and soul of his team all season.

There are MANY intangibles, character being one of them, that will factor into this vote.

I would agree that if they are inclined to give the award to the offensive player that
    has the best stats, Manziel will be the darling of the dance. But, if they give the
    award to the player who was most important to his team, one who has deflected all
    recognition all season long in the media, and the one who personifies this award
    more than any other, then I say Te'o gets the nod.
  14. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 23:308 edits
    Are you surprised an aggie would produce this while promoting their own??

Now, let's turn the tables on Johnny a bit.

Kelly did not restrict Te'o from the media all season.

Manziel did not suffer the mental anguish and personal losses of family and girlfriend
    just prior to the start of the season and play through it all season.

Manziel did ...[text shortened]... , and the one who personifies this award
    more than any other, then I say Te'o gets the nod.
    While A&M coach Sumlin does not allow freshmen to talk to the media, Manziel did have personal adversity (not a death) before the season, and also very quickly during the season had an incredible amount of attention and focus (spotlight) on him, including ultimately nationwide. (An attorney recommended he trademark "Johnny Football" as a defensive measure to protect himself and his eligibility.) Plus, there was attention generally at least in the South to conference realignment such as the move of A&M to the SEC. But of course, ND always has attention. (By the way, I have been to two Cotton Bowls where A&M played ND. One was a beautiful cool sunny day. The other there was ice on the bleachers.)

I think the most incorrect thing you suggest is that Manziel was not the heart and soul of his team. To the contrary, he has been such from day 1 starting with the Florida game. Moreover, as coaches across the nation have commented, Manziel has many intangibles most QBs do not have.

I was not initially completely sold on Manziel. I wondered if it was a novelty that would diffuse. I think I became sold when in one game I saw him both throw a rocket pass more down field and also noticed his running speed/acceleration that I thought wow, this is more than just his ability to escape the sack and his intangibles, the guy actually has raw physical talent.

I like A&M's 2nd string QB who was the starter until two weeks before the season and who has a rocket arm. And not long ago A&M benched a QB with A&M records and a dark-horse Heisman candidate to start Tannehill. But it has become impossible for me to even suggest that Manziel is not it, i.e., strong arm combined with incredible running speed and acceleration, and the ability to avoid sacks and high completion percentages, excitement and motivation on the fields, etc.
  15. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Nov '12 23:312 edits

Te'o stats before the USC game. ...[text shortened]... at Manziel's numbers against his competition. There is no comparison, Manziel wins
    I think it is -- not -- a good strategy to tear down another Heisman candidate. For example, it is not good strategy for pro-Manziel people to tear down or belittle Te'o. Actually belittles Manziel in a way in my opinion. Instead, the focus should be on positives of each candidate.

In support of Te'o, I think the Te'o relatively low stats while relevant do not reveal the excellence he offers on the field much of which is not captured by stats. His ability to block holes, disrupt routes, his vision on the field, and so on, and his leadership and motivation are incredible.

I think the biggest negative against Manziel is that he is a freshmen. But not much more negative to talk about. He definitely was the heart and soul of Texas A&M this season. And I resisted that initially because he seemed kind of goofy to me, but he has proven me wrong -- in talent, intellect, performance on the field, and leadership on and off the field.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree