1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 22:04
    October 2010
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=135088&page=1

Does anyone here care?

I think last night Porto showed they have the quality and grit needed to go all the way. Maybe not THE favourites, but a contender nonetheless. The starting XI is very solid and the bench is stacked with good options. Our coach is also one of the promises in a new generation of coaches (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704380504575530111481441870.html) and so far he has shown not only an excellent ability to organize a team for a match but also made very good in-match decisions.

Hulk is a beast, Falcao is class and Fernando rules the midfield even a man down and playing away we had the game under control and scored 2 more (and had one penalty not given in our favour and a goal ruled out that should have stood). Yes, Besiktas is not a contender but still the quality was definitely there.
    [...]
    Life is good.

Almost there.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 22:18
    Probably the fact that nobody cares hasn't changed, though. 😛
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 22:43
    watched the second half, porto looked awesome... would be able to compete in the cl again with that form. to bad they'll probably sell a couple of top players in the summr though... as usual.
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    28 Apr '11 22:461 edit
    Originally posted by trev33
    watched the second half, porto looked awesome... would be able to compete in the cl again with that form. to bad they'll probably sell a couple of top players in the summr though... as usual.
    How many times do I have to say this? It's not too bad, it's great. That's why we can compete. We already have several players that are great promises.
  5. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 07:42
    Porto looks very strong, and that young manager is going places. I hope Porto wins the cup. I cannot stand Benfica.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 08:54
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Porto looks very strong, and that young manager is going places. I hope Porto wins the cup. I cannot stand Benfica.
    I laud your hatred for Benfica 😉, but why is that?
  7. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 09:05
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I laud your hatred for Benfica 😉, but why is that?
    It's been going on since I was a kid and decided I preferred Porto in Portugal (cooler name and players back in the 1980s). How else can a kid decide? 😉

And Benfica always beat Copenhagen in some undeserved, mostly boring and/or lucky way.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 09:48
    And Benfica always beat Copenhagen in some undeserved, mostly boring and/or lucky way.
    And that's is why I don't like the Danish national team!

Actually, I do like it, but I had to make the joke. 😵 When I was a kid I was in awe of Elkjaer Larssen, he was one of my favourite non-Portuguese strikers along with Lineker and Klinsmann. Also, during Euro 2004 I ended up watching Italy - Denmark and Bulgaria - Denmark and the Danish fans were great fun to hang around with. Mucho respect.
  9. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 12:46
    [b]October 2010
    http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=135088&page=1

Does anyone here care?

I think last night Porto showed they have the quality and grit needed to go all the way. Maybe not THE favourites, but a contender nonetheless. The starting XI is very solid and the bench is stacked with good options. Our coach is al ...[text shortened]... er but still the quality was definitely there.
    [...]
    Life is good.

Almost there.[/b]
    fantastic game, put the big 2 who played the night before to shame. good luck to porto in the final 😀
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 13:11
    Originally posted by roma45
    fantastic game, put the big 2 who played the night before to shame. good luck to porto in the final 😀
    Thanks. 🙂

Just noticed that if Porto beats Villarreal on the second leg (not easy!) then Portugal will have beaten the UEFA ranking points record for one season with 19.2 points. 😲

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/ccoef2011.html

Now at 17.6, with Benfica vs Braga we have another (2+1)/5=0.6 points. If Porto wins, then another (2+1)/5=0.6 points. In an all Portuguese final, another 2 points guaranteed 2/5=0.4.

17.6+0.6+0.6+0.4 = 19.2
  11. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    29 Apr '11 14:26
    And that's is why I don't like the Danish national team!

Actually, I do like it, but I had to make the joke. 😵 When I was a kid I was in awe of Elkjaer Larssen, he was one of my favourite non-Portuguese strikers along with Lineker and Klinsmann. Also, during Euro 2004 I ended up watching Italy - Denmark and Bulgaria - Denmark and the Danish fans were great fun to hang around with. Mucho respect.
    Hehe, I think the Danish national side is extremely dull to watch. Elkjær, however, isn't. I had the luck to work at a gas station during the first year of college, where he often came (he also plays old boys in my childhood club). He's nice and funny guy irl.

Most Danish football fans are fun to be around. We like football, alcohol and parties, and we enjoy ourselves. What's not to like?
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Apr '11 06:20
    How many times do I have to say this? It's not too bad, it's great. That's why we can compete. We already have several players that are great promises.
    i do see your point. would be nice to see what they can do next season in the cl if they keep everyone though... they can always sell the season after.
  13. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    15 May '11 09:20
    This is amazing:
    http://www.bold.dk/fodbold/Portugal/1._Division

Very well done Porto. Good luck in the EL final. And good luck keeping the team and coach together for next years ChL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Falcao in an Arsenal shirt, though.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    15 May '11 10:024 edits
    This is amazing:
    http://www.bold.dk/fodbold/Portugal/1._Division

Very well done Porto. Good luck in the EL final. And good luck keeping the team and coach together for next years ChL.

I wouldn't mind seeing Falcao in an Arsenal shirt, though.
    Thanks!

I think many people will interpret that as a problem of an unbalanced league, but this is a year where Portuguese teams were very successful in Europa League, broke our UEFA ranking points record and will end the season winning the most ranking points of any country. That makes Porto's feat in the league this year even more amazing, IMO. In the Europa League, we scored 17 goals in our last four games. 17. In quarters and semi-finals, not just against minnows.

Falcao is amazing, but Hulk had an even better season domestically. He was just unstoppable and they both combine very, very well. I think one of them will go but not both. Although I do think Arsenal would do very well with both and I can see an attack of Hulk, Falcao, Nasri being deadly. If Arsenal takes one, I imagine they'd take Falcao as they need a pure striker more.

Edit - Porto's president (who has absolute authority in Porto) is incredibly shrew on the market and I think all of this may actually mean they'll keep the team for next year, at least the key players. That was what happened after the 2003, when Deco was by far our best player and there were many offers. Yet he stayed and the rest is history. I think there's a possibility of that happening, although I trust his judgement.
  15. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    15 May '11 10:53
    Thanks!

I think many people will interpret that as a problem of an unbalanced league, but this is a year where Portuguese teams were very successful in Europa League, broke our UEFA ranking points record and will end the season winning the most ranking points of any country. That makes Porto's feat in the league this year even more amazing, IMO. In the Eu ...[text shortened]... s history. I think there's a possibility of that happening, although I trust his judgement.
    Some people might, but only if they are morons. Three of the four final teams in the EL were Portuguese and Lissabon can play too. I've read somewhere that besides winning the national championship Porto's season far consists of a Portuguese Supercup, and a record of 13-1-2 in the EL (with the final to come) and 5-0-1 in the Taca de Portugal (with another final to come). With the league that means a whopping 46 wins, 4 draws and 3 (unimportant) losses. And an opportunity to win 4! trophies this season! Wow!

17 goals in four games is good no matter what international competition, but doing it is the quarter and semi-finals is very impressive. And Falcao broke the all time scoring record in the EL (UEFA Cup) with his 16th in the last semi-final in the process. Too bad this team aren't playing Barca's ballarinas. It would have been an epic match.

I think Hulk is too expensive for Wengers taste. I've heard a rumour about a price of EUR 100 mio.? Or is that just the Man City price? 😉

If only Falcao goes, I'm looking forward to seeing this team in the next ChL. Do you have a replacement ready for Falcao? I certainly hope Porto wont do a 'Dortmund' and sell the best players come summer (Sahin already).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree