1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    06 Oct '13 21:55
    This is for all you small market fans. As the big market teams cruch you under foot in the playoffs, may I suggest you just turn off the TV or radio for the rest of the post season and World Series in protest big money clubs continuing domination of MLB.

I know I've not watched a World Series in about a decade or so, and have no intention of watching teams like the Red Sox and Cards play in the World Series.

This all boils down to revenue. Larger market teams are allowed to spend more money and win the World Series so that they bring in more ratings. Everyone is happy except the small market fans.

Of course, this will probably have no effect on the ratings, but it is the right thing to do.
  2. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 03:09
    Originally posted by whodey
    This is for all you small market fans. As the big market teams cruch you under foot in the playoffs, may I suggest you just turn off the TV or radio for the rest of the post season and World Series in protest big money clubs continuing domination of MLB.

I know I've not watched a World Series in about a decade or so, and have no intention of watching team ...[text shortened]...

Of course, this will probably have no effect on the ratings, but it is the right thing to do.
    Whodey, you are full of crap. I am expecting you to pop any moment. Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Oakland. All in the bottom half as far as payroll. Yankees, Giants, Angels, Rangers, White Sox, Phillies, Blue Jays are all at home.
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/21989238/baseball-payrolls-list
  3. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 15:252 edits
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Whodey, you are full of crap. I am expecting you to pop any moment. Tampa Bay, Cleveland, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Oakland. All in the bottom half as far as payroll. Yankees, Giants, Angels, Rangers, White Sox, Phillies, Blue Jays are all at home.
    The funny thing? The Reds are only ~5.8 mil behind the Cardinals in payroll and are in the top half.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 17:32
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Boston will crush them all without so much as lifting a finger.

Statistically the evidence shows that those who spend more do better on average. You always have charity cases make it into the playoffs, so what?

In the end, a small market team may win the whole thing every decade or so, if you are lucky.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 17:34
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    The funny thing? The Reds are only ~5.8 mil behind the Cardinals in payroll and are in the top half.
    The Reds have done better of late in terms of spending money, which explains why they started making the playoffs. However, the Cards not only spend more money, they have a better all round organization.

It looks as if they did not spend enough this year, however. The Pirates look as though they may slay the giant.
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 17:58

I know I've not watched a World Series in about a decade or so, and have no intention of watching team ...[text shortened]...

I've been saying this for years. MBL is not a level playing field.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    07 Oct '13 18:47
    Originally posted by bill718
    Sport should be not at a level playing field.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 02:551 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    As with everything else, it comes down to money.

Incidentally, I recommend the movie "Moneyball". The movie says it all.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 16:57

Oakland, Tampa and Pittsburgh are clearly not high payroll teams. They are in the playoffs. They took advantage of compensation for free agents and draft picks that are not available to other teams. Unlike the NFL which has the Patriots good every year, the MLB actually has competitive balance.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 17:04

The movie has several gross inaccuracies in it though, particularly the way
    Art Howe is presented. Of course, you have no knowledge of this, since you
    are hooked by the theatrics and Brad Pitt.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 17:23
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Oakland, Tampa and Pittsburgh are clearly not high payroll teams. They are in the playoffs. They took advantage of compensation for free agents and draft picks that are not available to other teams. Unlike the NFL which has the Patriots good every year, the MLB actually has competitive balance.
    The Yankees have made the playoffs 52 out of 112 seasons, that is 46% of the time. And it took 20 years to make it to their first postseason.

New England patriots have made the playoffs 20 out of 52 seasons this year will be 21 out of 53 seasons which is a little less than 40% of the time.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 19:00
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    The Yankees have made the playoffs 52 out of 112 seasons, that is 46% of the time. And it took 20 years to make it to their first postseason.

New England patriots have made the playoffs 20 out of 52 seasons this year will be 21 out of 53 seasons which is a little less than 40% of the time.
    The idea that large market size determines who goes to the playoffs is simply untrue. 5 Central Division teams made the playoffs but only one of the six teams that play in NY, Chicago or LA did. Three of the bottom 5 payroll teams are in the playoffs (Oakland, Pittsburgh and Tampa) while only three of the top 10 payrolls are in the playoffs.

The world is a completely different place than it was 100 years ago so looking at data from pre-world war one when there was no draft, free agency, minority athletes, airplanes for scouts to see people etc. makes the data 100% meaningless.

The Patriots win their division every single year. They have a higher winning percentage every years than any baseball team. Not a single team in baseball had a .600 winning percentage. The balance in baseball is tremendous.
  13. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 19:101 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The idea that large market size determines who goes to the playoffs is simply untrue. 5 Central Division teams made the playoffs but only one of the six teams that play in NY, Chicago or LA did. Three of the bottom 5 payroll teams are in the playoffs (Oakland, Pittsburgh and Tampa) while only three of the top 10 payrolls are in the playoffs.

The worl ...[text shortened]... a single team in baseball had a .600 winning percentage. The balance in baseball is tremendous.
    Larger sample size, larger number of variables that affect the outcome of a game.

Pre WWI was 100 years ago and the Yankees didn't make the playoffs until post WWI.

In any given year teams from every market, small or big, will make the playoffs but the point is that teams with higher pay rolls have a higher % of making it to the playoffs EVERY year which guarantees them a higher % chance of winning the championship.

You are looking at the wrong percentages, you need to get more specific.

It doesn't matter if 30% of the top ten teams make it every year and 60% of the bottom five teams make it every year because there simply isn't enough information there to make a logical conclusion. What is the mean payroll? Which teams most often make up the 30% and which teams most often make up the 60%?

Teams like the Yankees and Redsox will be in the playoffs almost every other year sometimes making playoff runs for stretches at a time. Teams like the Pirates are finally making the playoffs after years of not going.
  14. Joined
    09 Nov '12
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 19:13
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    The movie has several gross inaccuracies in it though, particularly the way
    Art Howe is presented. Of course, you have no knowledge of this, since you
    are hooked by the theatrics and Brad Pitt.
    What does the depiction of Art Howe have to do with the relevant theme of the movie, that some teams are at a financial disadvantage when it comes to assembling teams? Is there a more relevant inaccuracy to the point here that you could point out?
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Oct '13 19:43
    Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
    Larger sample size, larger number of variables that affect the outcome of a game.

Pre WWI was 100 years ago and the Yankees didn't make the playoffs until post WWI.

In any given year teams from every market, small or big, will make the playoffs but the point is that teams with higher pay rolls have a higher % of making it to the playoffs EVERY yea ...[text shortened]... ches at a time. Teams like the Pirates are finally making the playoffs after years of not going.
    Tampa and Oakland seem to be consistently good. The Twins for many years were good. There is no reason to think that KC and Pittsburgh won't be good. It is time for fans of teams that don't invest in players to stop crying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree