1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 12:37
    Has anyone else noticed that the BBC icon on the TV screen during Euro 2008 matches shows a total lack of inconsistency?

Example:
    When Holland are playing, it displays NED.
    We call them Holland (in which case it would be HOL) or The Netherlands (in which case it would be NET.)

The Dutch call themselves The Nederlands, but we're watching British TV!!!

I could excuse this political correctness gone barmy, if the BBC were consistent with it... but when Germany play, it says GER not DEU, and when Austria played it said AUT (I presume 'cos AUS would be Australia?), not OST....

It makes me seeeeeeth!!!!

Right, I've had my rant, I'm off to get a life now...
  2. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 13:271 edit
    Originally posted by blade68
    Has anyone else noticed that the BBC icon on the TV screen during Euro 2008 matches shows a total lack of inconsistency?

Example:
    We call them Holland (in which case it would be HOL) or The Netherlands (in which case it would be NET.)

The Dutch call themselves The Nederlands, but we're watching British TV!!! ST....

It makes me seeeeeeth!!!!

Right, I've had my rant, I'm off to get a life now...
    They're Olympic International Abbreviations.

D
  3. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    19 Jun '08 21:19

Example:

The Dutch call themselves The Nederlands, but we're watching British TV!!!
    NED is an abbreviation for Nederland, the Dutch term for the Netherlands.

Holland is a term that refers to a former province, many moons back, by the way. It was a province on the west coast, with most of the harbors and ships to carry spices from Indonesia and slaves from Ghana. Sailors mentioned coming from Holland, a name that stuck with current the Netherlands. Holland is no official term for the country, so HOL as an abbreviation is incorrect.
  4. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 11:01
    Originally posted by Aiko
    NED is an abbreviation for Nederland, the Dutch term for the Netherlands.

Holland is a term that refers to a former province, many moons back, by the way. It was a province on the west coast, with most of the harbors and ships to carry spices from Indonesia and slaves from Ghana. Sailors mentioned coming from Holland, a name that stuck with current the Netherlands. Holland is no official term for the country, so HOL as an abbreviation is incorrect.
    Why is your nationality seemingly so disconnected from the other two things?

In other words, where does the word Dutch derive from?
  5. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    20 Jun '08 12:29
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    They're Olympic International Abbreviations.

D
    If that's the case, why are the BBC using them at Euro 2008? This tournament has nothing to do with the Olympics..!
  6. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 13:53
    If that's the case, why are the BBC using them at Euro 2008? This tournament has nothing to do with the Olympics..!
    It's practice for 2012😉
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    21 Jun '08 16:23
    Because it's a sensible international standard?
  8. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 10:08
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Because it's a sensible international standard?
    Don't worry it's not an issue any more.
  9. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 11:131 edit
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Don't worry it's not an issue any more.
    For the next two years it will. It is a good thing NED is out. The reigning European champion has a habit of being kicked out in big tournaments very early on (Danmark, Germany, France, Greece in the last four tournaments). Now at least they have a chance of becoming world champions in two years.
  10. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    22 Jun '08 12:02
    Originally posted by Aiko
    For the next two years it will. It is a good thing NED is out. The reigning European champion has a habit of being kicked out in big tournaments very early on (Danmark, Germany, France, Greece in the last four tournaments). Now at least they have a chance of becoming world champions in two years.
    van Basten got it wrong, I mean, resigning. You stuffed Italy, France and outplayed Romania with the second string 11. One bad game and it's all change again. Very sad.
  11. Utrecht
    Moves
    25 Jun '08 13:54
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    van Basten got it wrong, I mean, resigning. You stuffed Italy, France and outplayed Romania with the second string 11. One bad game and it's all change again. Very sad.
    The comments on van Basten before the EC were harsh. Van Basten promissed actractive and dominant football and until the EC he couldn't make that happen. Not once. Only in the friendly matches against Croatia (3-0), Denmark (1-1) and Wales (2-0), there were glimpses of the goals he set. But that was long after he made the descision to stop.
    Signed for four years with Ajax. When he is able to keep the coming youngsters there for a few years and get a few others, I believe Ajax could play a role again in europe for a while.
  12. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    26 Jun '08 22:36
    The BBC will be able to put up their DEU 0-0 ESP icon for the final!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree