1. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    07 Mar '07 21:20
    Well it could not have happened to a nicer club, with their EVEN NICER racist fans!!

Good riddance WEST HAM… back to were you belong

The over-achievement of last season went to all the heads of just not the players but the fans as well.. who thought the ‘sammers’ were a top team!
  2. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 03:19
    Originally posted by SALADIN
    Well it could not have happened to a nicer club, with their EVEN NICER racist fans!!

Good riddance WEST HAM… back to were you belong

The over-achievement of last season went to all the heads of just not the players but the fans as well.. who thought the ‘sammers’ were a top team!
    Gosh I take it you don't like West Ham.. has someone offended you?
    Did I miss something...why racist?
  3. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    08 Mar '07 10:10
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Gosh I take it you don't like West Ham.. has someone offended you?
    Did I miss something...why racist?
    A group of hammers fans were singing anti-semetic chants against Tottenham at the weekend.

Whilst this is not acceptable, it is hardly new. Totenham fans have referred to themselves as Yids for years.
  4. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 02:06
    Originally posted by invigorate
    A group of hammers fans were singing anti-semetic chants against Tottenham at the weekend.

Whilst this is not acceptable, it is hardly new. Totenham fans have referred to themselves as Yids for years.
    well west ham fans have a reputation for racists views going back to the 70s.

Only last year they were chanting MIDOs mum is a Terrorists when they come down to the Lane.

They are a nasty bunch.
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 08:30
    Originally posted by invigorate

Lol Reminds of the days of Alf Garnet.. The leader of the West Ham Fans.

I remember the Monkey chants from visitors when the Wallace lads were at Saints..horrible when you catch it on tv.
  6. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 10:36
    It's terrace banter that's all... don't get too hung up on it.
    Whoever is doing the chanting will also have got Indian/Jewish/Black/Pakistani mates at work... I don't hear the same sort of defensive comments when people chant about fat gingers!

It's all about putting it in the right perspective.
  7. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 20:06
    Originally posted by blade68
    It's terrace banter that's all... don't get too hung up on it.
    Whoever is doing the chanting will also have got Indian/Jewish/Black/Pakistani mates at work... I don't hear the same sort of defensive comments when people chant about fat gingers!

It's all about putting it in the right perspective.
    well Blade.. thats debatable.

if you are black or asian and you are sitting there and the fans are throwing bananes and doing monkey chants (like they used to at Upton park and other grounds in the 70s) it takes a diffirent prospective... this so called ' terrace banter'!!!
  8. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 20:361 edit

if you are black or asian and you are sitting there and the fans are throwing bananes and doing monkey chants (like they used to at Upton park and other grounds in the 70s) it takes a diffirent prospective... this so called ' terrace banter'!!!
    It isn't confined to football either.. we have had Maoris on tour with the NZ All Blacks called Niggers, Monkeys etc.. in UK but not as bad as in South Africa where they really mean it. Usually an incident hits the media from each tour... the players come to expect it... except I recall an opposition player was cited for called Tana Umaga a racist name.
    Here in NZ a low level coach has been banned from attending all matches for two years for calling a visiting coloured ref a monkey... though he claimed from the start he meant it as in "cheeky monkey"

edit ps.. I was thinking of Til Death do us Part the other day.. that was emphatically racist and so was "Love They Neighbour" we aren't allowed to "think" like that in society anymore..
  9. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 20:51

I admit that some namecalling is more offensive than others... but I have Irish friends who I call Paddy, Scottish friends who I call Jock, and Welsh friends I call Taff... I also have an half Asian friend called Warren but I call him Abdul... stereotypical namecalling that certainly doesn't offend my friends...
    I agree that the monkey chants are offensive, and to my knowledge have not even ever been construed as humourous.

All I was saying is that people are far too quick to say something is offensive these days... I don't get offended if someone calls me a tight Yorkshireman.
    Words are after all, only words... a form of communication.
    Whilst we may not agree with a lot of what is shouted at football grounds, or anywhere else for that matter... this used to be a country of free-speech, a place where you could voice opinions and argue with other people's.
    People should still feel free to say what they want, if it offends, hard luck. Move on, and speak to someone who doesn't offend you.
    (I'm talking hypothetically now of course, and have drifted somewhat from the original debate I feel!)
    What I'm actually trying very ineloquently to say is that I think the country is in a poorer state now that people don't think they have the right to free-speech for fear of being vilified by some do-gooders. It's society's problem, not just footballs.
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '03
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 21:45
    I heard about a Scottish guy who once went to a West Ham v Spurs game. Some of the West Ham fans started making hissing noises, so he asked one of them what it was all about...

The other guy said "it's the gas chambers, innit."
  11. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 21:57
    Originally posted by sylvander
    I heard about a Scottish guy who once went to a West Ham v Spurs game. Some of the West Ham fans started making hissing noises, so he asked one of them what it was all about...

The other guy said "it's the gas chambers, innit."
    thats really sick.. yet most would have found it it would have been very funny in the early 70s when you could laugh and joke without offending..you can't now.
  12. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 22:201 edit
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    thats really sick.. yet most would have found it it would have been very funny in the early 70s when you could laugh and joke without offending..you can't now.
    although i do understand what you and balde are saying.... both the hissing noises and monkey chants are way out of order.

you can call the opposition player whatever you like to get him off his game, but there are is a line.

I go to a lot of footaball and cricket games, but never have the urge to refer to any player by his colour or religion or nationality to put him off his game.. thats just stupid.

suruly if one feels the urge to insult someone by the colour/religion/nationality.. then that says more of the person doing it then the person being insulted
  13. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 22:54

suruly if one feels the urge to insult someone by the colour/religion/nationality.. then that says more of the person doing it then the person being insulted[/b]
    If that's the case then Sal, why are people so offended?

I'm playing evils Advocate here by the way...
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 22:55
    Originally posted by blade68
    If that's the case then Sal, why are people so offended?

I'm playing evils Advocate here by the way...
    ...that should've been Devils Advocate!!!
  15. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 23:23
    I had never heard about the hissing one.. and would never support the humour in that.. it is sick..full stop! I don't like the Alf Garnet Style racist jibe either.

Racism has not place in society today but freedom of thought and speech have been impaired as a result.

You'll hear on the street and tv etc dark skinned people hamming it up using phrases like "Hey he's one smart nigger" etc..
    however if you said it one person they may laugh; if you said it the next they'd sue.
    Do we have to include mild black humour in racist arguement? Should it be allowed for pert race groups only, for everyone or it should go completely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree