1. Joined
    16 Dec '19
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 15:15
    I have noticed over time a common thread that runs through many of the conversations/posts on the Spirituality Forum, that being how an individual is saved. These posts usually end with inflammatory comments and Ad hominem attacks after some going back and forth.

Some say grace only, some say works only, some say both, but it is controversy that can only have one way and that way being the way that God has prescribed it.

Sola Fide (Grace Alone)

I came across this video while beginning a study on the 5 Solas which sprung from the Reformation and offer it up here for discussion, if you wish. The speaker is Paul Washer and I find it to be very informative, and it was given this past August (I think, hard to tell sometimes with Youtube).

What are your thoughts?

YouTube
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 15:24
    @vmland said
    I have noticed over time a common thread that runs through many of the conversations/posts on the Spirituality Forum, that being how an individual is saved. These posts usually end with inflammatory comments and Ad hominem attacks after some going back and forth.

Some say grace only, some say works only, some say both, but it is controversy that can only have one way and ...[text shortened]... l sometimes with Youtube).

What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADvqxBliFUA
    The best explanation I found (though probably not a perfect one) was that good works is an expression of one's faith, and since faith is all we have to offer for God's grace, good works compliments or works in conjunction with our faith.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 16:08
    @vmland said

Some say grace only, some say works only, some say both, but it is controversy that can only have one way and ...[text shortened]... l sometimes with Youtube).

What are your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADvqxBliFUA
    I think you will be hardpressed to find anyone saying that people are saved by works only. Nobody says that. There is no grace only or works only doctrine that will be correct and still be supported by bible teachings.

The correct way to say it is as follows:
    1. All of mankind is saved by the blood of Christ. This is the Grace of God and it is the atonement for the sins of the world brought on by Adam ie sin in the flesh.
    2. Those who keep the commandments of Christ, by doing good works and living righteously, will inherit the Kingdom of God and get eternal life.
    3. Those who do not will face damnation. Professions of faith alone without living righteously leads to damnation.

Therefore the argument about faith alone or works alone is a nonsense futile argument.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 16:11
    @mchill said
    The best explanation I found (though probably not a perfect one) was that good works is an expression of one's faith, and since faith is all we have to offer for God's grace, good works compliments or works in conjunction with our faith.
    That is mostly correct. However a little discussed passage is the one where it is said that good works implies faith.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 19:20
    @rajk999 said
    That is mostly correct. However a little discussed passage is the one where it is said that good works implies faith.
    If you are a good parent you will love your child and automatically act in a way that protects them.

I view Christianity in a similar way. If a person is a good Christian and has genuine love and faith in God's grace, good works will happen automatically. - Anybody therefore who claims to be a Christian but doesn't do good works isn't a genuine Christian. They haven't been transformed by the spirit.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Dec '20 21:391 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    If you are a good parent you will love your child and automatically act in a way that protects them.

I view Christianity in a similar way. If a person is a good Christian and has genuine love and faith in God's grace, good works will happen automatically. - Anybody therefore who claims to be a Christian but doesn't do good works isn't a genuine Christian. They haven't been transformed by the spirit.
    Thats correct, and it is in a nutshell the teachings of Christ. In fact Jesus made it clear that these people who did no good works will be cast out of the Kingdom of God. So did all the Apostles.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree