1. Joined
    26 Apr '03
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 20:20
    In tounaments with small group sizes (eg 2) I can see the temptation to resign to your opp if you have won 1 game, so you both go through.

To discourage this, how about if, after each round of a (small group size) tournament, players were ranked according to how many average pts they had got in the last round ( total pts / num matches played in round). For the next round players could then be paired off highest scorer vs lowest scorer. This means if you both go through you each get a harder opponent in the next round than you would have if one of you had gone through.
  2. Joined
    31 Jul '03
    Moves
    23 Feb '04 20:29
    An excellent idea, IMHO!

-Jarno
  3. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 00:52
    Originally posted by iamatiger
    In tounaments with small group sizes (eg 2) I can see the temptation to resign to your opp if you have won 1 game, so you both go through.

Why would one wish for an extra player to go through to the next round? Knocking another contestant out should be sufficient incentive to play to one's best ability. If all matches were halved in the way you say, there would be little or no progress at all in the tournament. Of course, that's not to say your suggestion does not have merit, just that it shouldn't be necessary 🙂
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 11:44
    Originally posted by Gatecrasher
    Why would one wish for an extra player to go through to the next round? Knocking another contestant out should be sufficient incentive to play to one's best ability. If all matches were halved in the way you say, there would be little or no progress at all in the tournament. Of course, that's not to say your suggestion does not have merit, just that it shouldn't be necessary 🙂
    I disagree. There's possibly an incentive to let a player through to the next round who you've already beaten and are confident you can beat again. In particular if you know you're going to get paired against her/him again.
    To be honest, I don't have a problem if a player wants to do this for this reason, or for clan reasons or any other reason they might perceive.
    Equally, a player might have taken on too many games and be keen to get the number of games reduced. If she/he has already qualified from a particular section, and then agrees draws or resigns in the remaining games even if winning, then I think that's fair enough as well.
  5. SubscriberCroc
    Happy Snappies Clan!
    Everglades
    Moves
    24 Feb '04 12:23
    I think at the end of the day these type of incidents dont effect the tournament. Not that many people can keep their game together good enough to win anyway. The majority of people would not consider this a main problem. 😕

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree