Standard memberT1000
Help 19 Jan '03 10:20
  1. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 21:51
    Originally posted by T1000
    I think the drone was removed to ease the load on the server.
    Good reason!

And (reply to the other statement):
    But it would be fun to change sometimes and not to play against people.
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 22:20
    Originally posted by magnublm
    I'm pretty new to this site, but I have to tell you how pleased I am with it! 😵 I've tried other sites, which shall remain nameless (no point in being negative), but this one takes the cake in my opinion. It seems like you (Russ and Chris) care about keeping it a quality site (feedback, additions, remods, etc.) I appreciate that, too. I'm also plea ...[text shortened]... so scares me a little--100+ games going--wow. Now if I could only control my addiction to it...
    Posts like this make me blush with pride 😏.

"Sort of a family, it seems."

I did work for a so-called 'communities' company when I first started writing this site (I was bored at work) - and it proved to me that you just can't 'make' a community, it happens overtime, if the environment is right. And that is why I just love what has happened here with the people who love this place and 'hang out' here everyday. It is very rewarding to me as a programmer to create stuff that people enjoy - which is why I find it hard to resist all those feature requests.... 😉

-Russ
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 22:24
    Originally posted by thire
    Good reason!

And (reply to the other statement):
    But it would be fun to change sometimes and not to play against people.
    The original drone game just made random moves - it helped with testing more than anything else in the early days( meaning, someone I could actually beat!). Then Chris replaced it with Rival Online- which was good - but just killing the server.

I doubt it will ever return because that isn't the purpose of this site.

-Russ
  4. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 22:271 edit
    So you mean the ones they call "Rhymester" and "Vaknso" aren't actually chess playing drones at all but real life human being people types?

😉
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 22:30
    Russ, just to clarify this, is a registered copy of Rival still included as one of the benifits to becoming a pawn star? It was, back when I got mine.

Also, non-paying members could download a 'shareware' version, I think.

regards, Marc
  6. Standard memberthire
    Xebite
    in front of you
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 22:40
    Originally posted by T1000
    So you mean the ones they call "Rhymester" and "Vaknso" aren't actually chess playing drones at all but real life human being people types?

😉
    yes are they? 😕
    not possible!!!
    vaknso has something like 150 moves each day in Jan now...
    If they are real persons they they work for Russ & Chris to make the play movi' here 😀
  7. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    21 Jan '03 23:23
    Rival now has it's own registration - and is not part of the pawn star package. It is still free to download as a shareware version though.

-Russ
  8. Ireland
    Moves
    25 Jan '03 13:36
    when i beat rival on level 4 im happy. 4get about any higher level though - its too hard!!😳

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree