1. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 18:14
    A typical Western movie. Two cowboys riding. You see a nice small bedroll, small saddle bags, canteen, rope and rifle in a scabbard. It's about time to set up camp, one of them says.
    The next scene you see a lean to or 2, a campfire, coffee pot, frying pan with bacon and or biscuits, cups, pie pan plates, silverware. Got a pot too with beans cooking away.
    Okay, was all this in that 2 foot long, 6 inch diameter bed roll and 4 inch by 12"x12" saddle bag pair, or inside the
    horses. Being a modern cowboy I used a backpack tied into the saddle rear. BTW my bedroll is traditional. A pair of 8'x8" waterproof tarps and a couple of blankets. The extra tarp was a lean to when needed. It was 3 foot by 18" rolled up.
    I looked nothing like John Wayne.
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 18:34
    @Gambrel

Very interesting observations. I often find weaknesses in films, unnecessary ones too but I have never noticed what you mentioned. 🙂
  3. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 18:36
    @Gambrel

Where is my John Wayne
    Where is my prairie song
    Where is my happy ending
    Where have all the cowboys gone
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 18:401 edit
    @gambrel said
    A typical Western movie. Two cowboys riding. You see a nice small bedroll, small saddle bags, canteen, rope and rifle in a scabbard. It's about time to set up camp, one of them says.
    The next scene you see a lean to or 2, a campfire, coffee pot, frying pan with bacon and or biscuits, cups, pie pan plates, silverware. Got a pot too with beans cooking away.
    Okay, was all this ...[text shortened]... tarp was a lean to when needed. It was 3 foot by 18" rolled up.
    I looked nothing like John Wayne.
    T.V. or Movie Magic! 🙂

-VR
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 18:411 edit
    @torunn said
    @Gambrel

Very interesting observations. I often find weaknesses in films, unnecessary ones too but I have never noticed what you mentioned. 🙂
    At school we only had eyes for Blue of The High Chaparral 😍
  6. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 18:41
    @Gambrel

Duh 🙄 obviously they used the Cowboy Camp app and had everything delivered.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 18:59
    @drewnogal said
    @Gambrel

Where is my John Wayne
    Where is my prairie song
    Where is my happy ending
    Where have all the cowboys gone
    "A man's got to do what a man's got to do." 🙂
  8. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:171 edit
    @torunn said
    @Gambrel

I find historical inaccuracies in many films and TV shows. For example the TV show The Rifleman, the story takes place before his rifle was made and the town they came from in Oklahoma didn't exist yet. But I like the storyline etc. It's one of my favorites. Another favorite is The Roy Rogers Show. They ride horses, but have phones and 1940-50s cars, radio. I could see the horses etc being in the earlier 1900s in rural America but not in the then contemporary times. But I still love the show.
    Happy Trails to You.
  9. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:241 edit
    Another thing in westerns, it doesn't matter if a guy gets thrown from his horse, snake bit, gunshot, been out for days in the desert, they give him their canteen. Oh! Left arm got ripped off, have some water... Hey boy! Get some water boiling and tear up some clean sheets. But not the good ones.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:28
    @gambrel said
    Another thing in westerns, it doesn't matter if a guy gets thrown from his horse, snake bit, gunshot, been out for days in the desert, they give him their canteen. Oh! Left arm got ripped off, have some water... Hey boy! Get some water boiling and tear up some clean sheets. But not the good ones.
    Those were the days men were men and sheep were afraid! 🙂

-VR
  11. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:28
    @contenchess said
    @Gambrel

Duh 🙄 obviously they used the Cowboy Camp app and had everything delivered.
    I forgot about the carbide powdered cellphone.
  12. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:31
    Also...everyone is a master at shooting but later on in the movie nobody gets hit except the bad guys and everyone has unlimited ammo.

Reload? Nope. Just keep firing.

And how come nobody ever stands up at the saloon and talks about the dangers of prostitutes?

Nobody has a sunburn out in the desert...not even the guy who had to walk across it to avenge...something...

You also never see a horse poop.
    I can't go to a parade or the circus without being grossed out by a massive pile of horse poop.
  13. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:32
    @gambrel said
    I forgot about the carbide powdered cellphone.
    Circa 1872.

It was huge and weighed 200 pounds but it did work. You just had to crank the handle for 3 days.
  14. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:33
    @very-rusty said
    Those were the days men were men and sheep were afraid! 🙂

-VR
    Ya can't blame a drunk man.
  15. Standard memberVelns
    Latvian Trickster
    Krell lab
    Moves
    09 Oct '21 19:36
    Punch ups…

Why is it that two guys go at it face punching and kicking but when it’s all over the winner only has a little trickle of blood from the corner of their mouth?

Also why is fist fighting portrayed in older films as fun? I got punched in the face ONCE and it’s NOT fun!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree