1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '13 06:231 edit
    I suddenly have a mayor arrival of bees in my garage wall, through a crack in the furnace flashing, and they will be someone's orchard beehive on Monday, which we really need. They are docile. Apparently there are two swarms that are deciding whose queen to worship.

We've had this before in the neighborhood, in some cases yielding several pounds of honey.

Any good surprises out there?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    30 Jun '13 07:49
    Originally posted by JS357
    I suddenly have a mayor arrival of bees in my garage wall, through a crack in the furnace flashing, and they will be someone's orchard beehive on Monday, which we really need. They are docile. Apparently there are two swarms that are deciding whose queen to worship.

We've had this before in the neighborhood, in some cases yielding several pounds of honey.

How do you know they are docile, haven't you seen "killer bees"?
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    30 Jun '13 12:11

Welcome them. It is believed that there is a scarcity of bees
    on the planet today. This will result in plants not being pollinated
    and therefore a lack of food for all.

If there are two colonies of bees what will happen is one queen will
    seek out the other and kill her. The one that remains is the boss.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    30 Jun '13 22:29
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    seek out the other and kill her. The one that remains is the boss.[/b]
    I know virgin queens in a particular hive will kill the other virgin queens from that hive. I don't think that queens engage in inter-colony warfare.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 00:101 edit
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Welcome them. It is believed that there is a scarcity of bees
    on the planet today. This will result in plants not being pollinated
    and therefore a lack of food for all.

seek out the other and kill her. The one that remains is the boss.
    We have to have them removed, from prior experience of neighbors having honey oozing everywhere. But a beekeeper who has a couple thousand beehives is removing them, humanely.

They have been docile. After they took over the space, there were a lot of dead ones what I swept up, with others flying around me without any stings. The bee person has a detector that found two areas of concentration, implying two swarms. He said they would eventually merge.
  6. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 00:27
    We have to have them removed, from prior experience of neighbors having honey oozing everywhere. But a beekeeper who has a couple thousand beehives is removing them, humanely.

They have been docile. After they took over the space, there were a lot of dead ones what I swept up, with others flying around me without any stings. The bee person has a detector that found two areas of concentration, implying two swarms. He said they would eventually merge.
    I told you there would only BEE one colony. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree