1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 11:01
    @shallow-blue said
    Not if you put it like that, no.
    You can be unusually sensitive on occasion. I apologise for making you feel however you felt, it was not intended I assure you. Not on this occasion anyway 🙂
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 11:041 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    Bur I do this stuff for a living, and having to deal with the brokenness of Gatesware on a daily basis is exasperating.
    Are you referring to the desktop applications or the windows operating system itself. As a user I prefer Windows to Apple desktop applications. I bought a MacBook Pro several years ago but just couldn’t get on with it as I’m so habituated to Windows and MS Office.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 17:433 edits
    @divegeester
    Jobs was truly visionary. Gates is an imitator. The first versions of Windows were clearly reverse engineered from Mac. Gates is the reason there is now common boilerplate in every OS and APP prohibiting reverse engineering. The first several iterations of Windows were cumbersome to operate and were notoriously buggy. Poor imitations of the Mac OS.

Both men had a tremendous impact, but in different ways and market segments.

Gates’ big breakthrough was the step up from W98, which was a toy OS designed for gaming, to NT, the corporate platform supporting MS-OFFICE. Word, Excel and co. have established themselves as industry standards.

Jobs revolutionized the way we listen to music (iTunes, and now streaming), and communicate (iPhones, with numerous chat apps). Microsoft’s entry into the smart phone market flopped badly; again, imitation and badly. Jobs also set the standard by which others were judged. No one ever took IBM’s OS/2, or SuseLinux, for example, as the one to beat.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 20:232 edits
    @moonbus said
    @divegeester
    Jobs was truly visionary. Gates is an imitator.
    I’ve been reading up on both men, and so far I would definitely agree with you. Jobs was an extraordinary individual; inspiring genius and also a ruthless self-serving and sometimes even cruel leader. Gates, despite his obvious intellect, more stable approach to business and leadership, and or course programming skills, I just find a bit dull to be honest.

Jobs’ vision through controlling end-to-end consumer experience allowed Gates more or less a free field to exploit the clone computer market and therefore eventually the global corporate sector. But what jobs achieved after being booted from Apple, recovering emotionally, losing tens of millions in NEXT and then recusing Apple and leading it to become what it became is the stuff of novels.

I have all Apple products in terms of lifestyle, but insist on Windows based MS Office for business. Run on an HP elite book btw, so I have a 2016 MacBook Pro, boxed, never used (other than experimentation) collecting dust...
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 21:011 edit
    @divegeester

It is also worth mentioning that it was Jobs who created Pixar, after he was booted from Apple. Pixar's movies were what rescued Disney when Disney was in the doldrums and desperately needed an injection of creativity: they acquired Pixar and the rest is re-animation history. Just look at the list of Pixar films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

PS want to sell your MacBookPro?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 21:17
    @moonbus said
    @divegeester

It is also worth mentioning that it was Jobs who created Pixar, after he was booted from Apple. Pixar's movies were what rescued Disney when Disney was in the doldrums and desperately needed an injection of creativity: they acquired Pixar and the rest is re-animation history. Just look at the list of Pixar films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pixar_films

PS want to sell your MacBookPro?
    Indeed he did, and that was a traumatic journey too!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree