1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 08:04
    I ahve read in another thread, that a poster was told they were too polite.

Is that even possible? Should one be rude on occasion?

IN germany we have the saying: Auf einen groben Klotz einen groben Keil (A rough wedge belongs to a rough block).
    I peronnally think one can be clear and direct without being impolite.
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 08:47
    Yes, when driving for example. Sometimes you have to try and push your way in and it’s not always wise to give way to everybody.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 10:46
    @drewnogal said
    Yes, when driving for example. Sometimes you have to try and push your way in and it’s not always wise to give way to everybody.
    as a white van man of 40 years plus there was a code of conduct observed by most van drivers to give way to 1 vehicle at a time,in effect it helped everyone because it kept the traffic moving.
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 14:25
    What does it mean to be 'too' polite? Politeness is a quality of character, but can it also be quantified?
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 14:47
    @pettytalk said
    What does it mean to be 'too' polite? Politeness is a quality of character, but can it also be quantified?
    Ya mean like scaling it? On the politeness scale (1-10) he’s an 8.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 15:27
    My personal experience of Germany, it's probably not possible for them (cologne) to be too polite, in fact polite was at times a stretch. Sicily is even worse. But yes, I think it's possible to be too polite, sometimes you need to be a bit direct in certain circumstances or with certain people.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 15:36
    @a-unique-nickname said
    My personal experience of Germany, it's probably not possible for them (cologne) to be too polite, in fact polite was at times a stretch. Sicily is even worse. But yes, I think it's possible to be too polite, sometimes you need to be a bit direct in certain circumstances or with certain people.
    MOVE, for Cris sake.๐Ÿ˜ก
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 16:21
    @ponderable said
    I ahve read in another thread, that a poster was told they were too polite.

Is that even possible? Should one be rude on occasion?

IN germany we have the saying: Auf einen groben Klotz einen groben Keil (A rough wedge belongs to a rough block).
    I peronnally think one can be clear and direct without being impolite.
    I think it was more a case of being 'unnecessarily polite' rather than exceeding a quota of politeness.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 16:27
    I can not re-call anyone accusing me of being too polite. ๐Ÿ™‚

-VR
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 16:30
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke said
    I think it was more a case of being 'unnecessarily polite' rather than exceeding a quota of politeness.
    Unnecessarily polite people should be lined up and shot ! Except in Japan -- they should have their toe nails pulled out, slowly, and then shot !
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 16:32
    @David-Burton said
    as a white van man of 40 years plus there was a code of conduct observed by most van drivers to give way to 1 vehicle at a time,in effect it helped everyone because it kept the traffic moving.
    In Germany, this is not politeness; it is the law: where two lanes of traffic merge down to one, drivers are required to follow the 'zipper principle.' There are sometimes signs posted with a diagram illustrating this (for the benefit of French drivers who may have strayed have over the Rhine onto the German side).
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 16:37
    @moonbus said
    In Germany, this is not politeness; it is the law: where two lanes of traffic merge down to one, drivers are required to follow the 'zipper principle.' There are sometimes signs posted with a diagram illustrating this (for the benefit of French drivers who may have strayed have over the Rhine onto the German side).
    I was thinking more about T junctions...I hate people driving as far down the slip road as they can before filtering in...afraid I always close the door on them and most car drivers dont want a scrape of my Transit.
  13. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    24 Mar '24 13:41
    @a-unique-nickname said
    You are personally stereotyping geographical areas. That's not polite, nor is it a fair and accurate assessment based on polls. One should never say everyone in Ireland is a drunkard, and that every Irishman outside of Ireland becomes even more of a drunkard.
  14. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    24 Mar '24 13:46
    Showing good manners and respect for the feelings of others is a social norm which can be termed as being, polite. For instance, if you have a seat on a bus and there are others standing, it would be a sign of politeness in offering your seat to one of those standing who may need to be seated more than you. In this case one cannot be too polite since one has only one seat to politely offer.

Should politeness take a backseat to truth? Depending on circumstances, perhaps being too polite is actually impolite. As they say, sometimes truth hurts. But they also say that the truth will set you free.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    25 Mar '24 12:58
    @pettytalk said
    You are personally stereotyping geographical areas. That's not polite, nor is it a fair and accurate assessment based on polls. One should never say everyone in Ireland is a drunkard, and that every Irishman outside of Ireland becomes even more of a drunkard.
    I couldn't possible say that everyone in Ireland is a drunkard. I know here it is a drinking holiday and all the pubs have green draft. ๐Ÿ™‚ Some things we should take with a grain of salt.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree