1. Standard memberysterbaard
    AAPS forever
    Moves
    23 Feb '12 13:19
    This is my personal opinion, and I stand to be corrected, BUT I believe that new music generally is becoming worse and worse, and that nothing of the new stuff I hear on the radio can really compare to 'older' music. And by older I mean stuff of 80's etc. Even the music created by Mozart, Bach, Chopin etc according to me is matchless in current times. Are the notes running low? Have all the combinations been exhausted? Or do I have absolutely no idea?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Feb '12 21:34
    Originally posted by ysterbaard
    This is my personal opinion, and I stand to be corrected, BUT I believe that new music generally is becoming worse and worse, and that nothing of the new stuff I hear on the radio can really compare to 'older' music. And by older I mean stuff of 80's etc. Even the music created by Mozart, Bach, Chopin etc according to me is matchless in current times. Are ...[text shortened]... notes running low? Have all the combinations been exhausted? Or do I have absolutely no idea?
    Our 12 tone scale allows 479,001,000 note combinations to be played at one time. Like almost 500 million chords. That's in one octave. So going for 7 octaves, there are more than 3 billion chords available. That's just one note on the music scale. So adding up all the possible note combinations of say a piece with 1000 notes, you are up to 3 trillion combinations.

I don't think all the music made by all the cultures in the world for the past 50,000 years, including the bad stuff, is within one millionths of that.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    26 Feb '12 01:13
    This is my personal opinion, and I stand to be corrected, BUT I believe that new music generally is becoming worse and worse, and that nothing of the new stuff I hear on the radio can really compare to 'older' music. And by older I mean stuff of 80's etc. Even the music created by Mozart, Bach, Chopin etc according to me is matchless in current times. Are ...[text shortened]... notes running low? Have all the combinations been exhausted? Or do I have absolutely no idea?
    Everyone prefers the music they grew up with over the crap their children are listening to.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Feb '12 04:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Everyone prefers the music they grew up with over the crap their children are listening to.
    Must have been hell for JS Bach......
  5. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    26 Feb '12 16:501 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Our 12 tone scale allows 479,001,000 note combinations to be played at one time. Like almost 500 million chords. That's in one octave. So going for 7 octaves, there are more than 3 billion chords available. That's just one note on the music scale. So adding up all the possible note combinations of say a piece with 1000 notes, you are up to 3 trillion combin e world for the past 50,000 years, including the bad stuff, is within one millionths of that.
    We just need an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of pianos. (I'll admit that my default solution to most problems is 'throw more monkeys at it' - results are mixed - but on this occasion I think it has merit.)
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    26 Feb '12 23:04
    I remember when 80s music was new music. Some of the 80s stuff was pretty lame. Just a personal opinion. I prefer late 60s, 70s (minus disco), 90s, and even current alternative rock over much of the 80s music. However, I did like the early 80s Van Halen and late 80s Guns n Roses, for example. Not really the point of your post, though, I guess.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Feb '12 21:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Must have been hell for JS Bach......
    Well, many of his contemporaries did consider him old-fashioned for not gonig over to the new, fashionable Rococo style, like some of his sons. And no, he didn't like it.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree