1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 15:02
    I keep getting a message wanting me to switch to Edge Browser, to update my windows?

Is this the a new popular Browser being used?

-VR
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 15:41
    @very-rusty said
    I keep getting a message wanting me to switch to Edge Browser, to update my windows?

-VR
    Microsoft's browser for many years was called Internet Explorer. Then they wrote a replacement and called it Edge. I switched over years ago and I think Edge is an improvement, there are things I can do now that I couldn't do before. Internet Explorer won't be getting fixes and security updates in the future, so I'd get the Edge next time they ask.

There are plenty of browsers around, but for simplicity I'd definitely go for Edge because it's familiar Microsoft style. I'm assuming it's a free download, of course.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 15:551 edit
    Support for Internet Explorer has ended.

Edge is comparable to a Microsoft branded Chrome browser, so it would be a good choice.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 16:201 edit
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Microsoft is lying as usual. You do not need to switch to Edge to update windows. You can update windows with or without Edge. Edge is like an annoying late-comer trying to force their way into the party. I have used Chrome for years and I have about 10 tabs opening all at once when I open Chrome. Recently after updating Windows, Edge started copying everything Chrome does, [ including opening all those same 10 tabs without my consent ] and trying to force me to use Edge. Its a new low Microsoft has sunk too. Im actually gradually moving across to Linux - Ubuntu and Mint is pretty decent.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    23 Jun '22 16:532 edits
    Thanks everyone for the feed back. I believe Chrome is the one I am using right now.

Yes it is, i went to settings to find out for sure . Google Chrome is your default browser.

Is there any reason(s) I shouldn't stick with it?

-VR
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 03:161 edit
    If Chrome works for you, keep it. Microsoft's mailshots are directed at people who are using Internet Explorer, and that's not you. You don't need to accept everything that marketers want to sell you. Treat it as junk mail and bin it.
    Windows system updates are legitimate, though. They're related to security and virus fixes and they're necessary. Browsers are bundled with Windows but they're not a part of Windows, they're just apps sold by the same company. Like the 'free' stuff that gets added to your fast-food order.
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 11:18
    @very-rusty said
    Thanks everyone for the feed back. I believe Chrome is the one I am using right now.

Yes it is, i went to settings to find out for sure . Google Chrome is your default browser.

Is there any reason(s) I shouldn't stick with it?
    Google is as untrustworthy as Microsoft. But that's a reason to stop using Chrome, not to start using Edge. Besides, monocultures are bad for the web, so the dominance of Chromium is a problem.

Personally, I prefer Firefox anyway, or rather Pale Moon.
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    24 Jun '22 12:40
    @shallow-blue said
    Google is as untrustworthy as Microsoft. But that's a reason to stop using Chrome, not to start using Edge. Besides, monocultures are bad for the web, so the dominance of Chromium is a problem.

Personally, I prefer Firefox anyway, or rather Pale Moon.
    I agree that the big players are all untrustworthy, but older people who aren't computer-savvy don't cope well with steep learning curves. I encourage my students, who are all over 70, to stay with what they know. It's safer for them if they don't go looking for new software on the big bad web.
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    27 Jun '22 13:17
    I only use a chromebook now.
    There is no need for windows updates
    There is no need for a virus checker
    Updates are pretty frequent and take at most 20 seconds.Not the hours it seems to take windows on my wife's laptop.
    There's always a downside of course.Storage is limited and the machine stops receiving updates after 6 years I think.
    My son banks online so he's replaced his
    I think he paid about £200.00
    I do very little online so when the updates stop it may not be worth me getting a new one
  10. Milton Keynes
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 08:00
    Safari is my preferred choice. Not great on windows though and Apple has stopped developing it for windows (I recently read). RHP runs really well on it.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 11:12
    Safari on iPads and iPhone, chrome on work windows laptop running MS office. Never use Edge and yes they push it hard because they want your browsing data. As does Google Chrome of course. Sometimes still use Firefox on personal laptop; used to use it a lot for RHP back in the gbaway days.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jul '22 16:471 edit
    Microsoft keep sending me notices to update my Microsoft before a certain date in July or August? Do I have to do this, or not? They make it sound like if the updating isn't done I will not be able to work my windows, just doesn't sound right to me.

VR
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Jul '22 16:50
    @kewpie said
    If Chrome works for you, keep it. Microsoft's mailshots are directed at people who are using Internet Explorer, and that's not you. You don't need to accept everything that marketers want to sell you. Treat it as junk mail and bin it.
    Windows system updates are legitimate, though. They're related to security and virus fixes and they're necessary. Browsers are bundled with ...[text shortened]... just apps sold by the same company. Like the 'free' stuff that gets added to your fast-food order.
    Thanks Kewpie,
    That may also answer the question I asked about updating Microsoft.

-VR
  14. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Jul '22 14:25
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Moving to the edge can be risky, unless you live in a bungalow.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jul '22 00:51
    @Rajk999
    The thing that ticks me off is Edge taking over when I clearly hit the Chrome tab, then have to X out of that and do it again to get back to Chrome.
    They entice you to use it with all the fancy photos and such but it is extremely irritating to have to X it out when I called for Chrome and then do the Chrome thing.
    Plus message comes up half the time, make edge your default. uh, no, I like Chrome just fine. Don't know how to get rid of Edge. It doesn't matter you go to settings and set Chrome to be default, Edge comes back like virus.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree