1. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    21 Dec '22 17:10
    I have an older model, the 6S. The battery is about worn out, I think. I am in the process of attempting to replace my own battery, instead of paying a bunch of money to have someone else do it, and I also have no intention of playing the 'upgrade' game with them.

I have watched a few youtube videos on doing the battery replacement, and am about to give it a try.

I have one question before starting. The battery is held in the phone with some kind of stretchy adhesive. The adhesive that came with the replacement battery looks totally different than what the videos show, so I am thinking about just skipping the adhesive. It sure looks to me like that battery will stay put just fine without the adhesive.

So I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever messed with an iphone battery replacement, and if so, how essential is that adhesive for the battery?
  2. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    22 Dec '22 15:16
    I've never tried this, but admire your determination to try it and keep the old phone alive, particularly as repairability of iPhones being as bad as it is.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out.
  3. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    22 Dec '22 15:451 edit
    @Russ
    Hey Russ, I'll post an update here if and when I actually do it! From watching the video, it shouldn't be too hard. (famous last words) Here's the link for the video.

YouTube

The replacement adhesive strips that came with the new battery are not anything like the ones shown in the video, so that's why I posted here to see if anyone knows anything about this adventure. I think the strips are made of a stretchy silicone adhesive but that's about all I know so far.

The guy I bought it from assured me that he sent me the correct battery for my phone model.

I suspect if I use the adhesive strips that came with it, I will never get the new battery out again when it wears out, as they do not have the tabs that stick out from the bottom. And that's why I am considering just setting the battery in there without the adhesive. Someone else said using some double sided carpet tape will also work.

Sometimes I really miss my old flip-phone. It wasn't a 'smart phone' but it was still smarter than me!
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Dec '22 22:23
    @mwmiller

Greetings,

I have not myself replaced the battery in a 6S, however, I seriously doubt that the apparently different adhesive will matter. The electrical connections are more important than the glue.

Be advised, however, that replacing the battery may not restore your 6S to full functionality. If you find that even the new battery will not hold a charge long, runs down very quickly despite being (apparently) fully charged, then the problem is deeper than the battery itself and not resolvable. The iOS eventually no longer effectively manages all its hardware, even when the hardware is replaced. I've seen this on several MacBooks and iPhones after about 6-8 years of daily use. Your 6S is way past its expected end-of-service.

Good luck!

moon
  5. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Dec '22 01:55
    @moonbus
    Thanks! I plan to try it tomorrow, and will post an update on the project after I see how it works.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Dec '22 07:47
    @mwmiller

PM me if something goes horribly wrong.
  7. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    23 Dec '22 20:43
    Well, I'm sad to report that I will now be looking for a replacement for my iphone.

It finally came apart as shown in the video, but it was not nearly as easy as they made it look. Then the battery adhesive strips would not come out as shown either, but I finally managed to pry out the old battery using an old credit card and a hair dryer to warm things up. The new battery went in fairly easily, but I must have managed to short the connectors for the LCD touch screen somehow when I was putting them back together, because when I tried to turn it on to test it, before totally reassembling everything, I managed to let some smoke out of something in there, and it is now totally dead.

Also, those screws that hold down the connector covers are very microscopic and difficult to see and work with, and requires a very small set of screwdrivers, and very steady hands. Also a magnet to help find the screws and pull them out of the inside of the phone when they jump around while you are trying to put them back in.

Lesson learned, and never again!

The good news is that I may not have to worry about getting any phone calls for a while, until I manage to find a replacement phone, which might have to wait until next year. ๐Ÿ™
  8. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 12:221 edit
    @mwmiller said
    Lesson learned, and never again!
    I always enjoy the process, even if it ends in failure with this kind of thing. At least you saw smoke rather than wasting further hours trying to fault find a dead phone.

And you can buy a new one guilt free now - at least you tried to repair.
  9. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    24 Dec '22 12:40
    I'm wondering if there are any phones on the market now that still have a battery that the owner can easily replace without going through all of this hassle. I know there used to be some flip-phone types that were like that.
  10. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Dec '22 13:07
    @mwmiller said
    I'm wondering if there are any phones on the market now that still have a battery that the owner can easily replace without going through all of this hassle. I know there used to be some flip-phone types that were like that.
    A flip phone is what I have and one really has to remember...it’s a PHONE.๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜‰ I think I paid about $70 for it about 5 years ago. Now having said that the salesperson had to dig deep into the inventory to find it and when he produced it for my inspection he had to blow the dust off the box.๐Ÿ˜
  11. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    27 Dec '22 14:38
    @Great-Big-Stees
    Who makes it, GBS? And are you able to easily replace the battery yourself?
  12. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Dec '22 18:521 edit
    @mwmiller said
    @Great-Big-Stees
    GL makes it and as of yet I haven’t needed to even think about replacing the battery.

That should be LG and it’s an LG-C441๐Ÿคญ๐Ÿ˜
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    28 Dec '22 04:33
    According to LG the battery is "replaceable", whatever that means in the hands of mortals.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    รœber-Nerd
    Moves
    01 Jan '23 22:551 edit
    @mwmiller said
    @Great-Big-Stees
    Nokia make a new retro PHONE, I think its model Nr. is 3310, very small, with tactile buttons, and a battery which literally falls out when you pry off the coverplate with a thumbnail. You might like it, very IN to have a retro phone.
  15. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    02 Jan '23 01:27
    I ended up with a kyocera dura xv. It's a flip phone and seems pretty good so far, and the battery is easy to replace.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree