1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Aug '20 17:56
    So one thing about the worry of those 5G sats is they are just carriers of information in digital bits, LOTS of them but digital bits nonetheless.
    If they sats were beaming down gigawatts of energy you might have a bit of a worry about that level of energy but the power of those sats would be way less than a thousand watts and also thousands of miles away so the danger is tied directly to the power vs time. Like a 1 watt RF in your body for 1 hour is the same damage as 3600 watts for one second, the damage builds up with time and power. So a 1000 watt at 1000 miles would be very low power density when the beam gets to Earth BECAUSE it wants to spread out that energy over as wide an area as possible so they have a maximum amount of gain they can design into an antenna.
    More gain = smaller footprint on the ground which in this case means they would have to have many sats each with a different beam path which would be extremely expensive from a sat launch perspective so they use a smaller number of sats with a wider beam area to cover as much ground as possible with one sat.
    So the gist of all that is you get more RF from cell phone towers and we as a society are in the middle of a decades long RF experiment where we will not know if accumulated damage will show up after say 20 years of living next to a cell phone tower.
    So I would worry more about THAT level of RF than anything coming from some G5 sat.
    I think you are assuming the power coming out of such sats have to be way higher than a lower level of broadcast like G3 or such.

In general yes but it isn't linear, like 100 bits per second with X amount of power and you want 200 bits per second you don't need to automatically double the power of the sat.
    The deal with that is engineers are getting very tricky with modulation techniques and the higher the frequency of the RF the more bits per second you can cram into such signals so the gist of THAT is eventually we will see transmitters in the TERAHERTZ range rather than gigahertz as we have now and even higher than that, going into the infrared light beam frequencies or even visible light frequencies which, if you are smart enough with your modulation technique you could put dam near all the data the world needs on one beam of light so that is the future of such devices.
    Higher frequencies = more data per beam.
    So put away your tin foil and smoke another joint and be happy.
  2. Joined
    07 Aug '20
    Moves
    31 Aug '20 10:02
    Ohhh so you like to smoke joints? Nice!
    Make love not warcraft!
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    31 Aug '20 17:25
    @kamil122

Hi Kamila, I hope you make a great Vice President.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree