1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    24 Apr '22 09:503 edits
    I used to like to play baseball as a kid, but watching MLB is a bit like watching the grass grow. Here are just 2 reasons:

1. Stupid touchy - feely little meetings between pitcher and manager right in the middle of an inning. Why do fans have to watch some overweight manager waddle out to the pitchers mound, and waste time explaining to his pitcher why he needs to be replaced? If a manager needs to replace a pitcher, he can just send the replacement pitcher in the game and get on with it! Let these 2 carry on their little hand holding session in the dugout. 2. Time wasting arguments. If a manager wants to protest a call, he can file a grievance, or request an officials film review just as they do in the NFL, flapping his jowls at an official in the middle of an inning over a call that will never get overturned is just one of the many reasons people are turning to other sports and MLB is losing attendance.
  2. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    24 Apr '22 11:441 edit
    @mchill said
    I used to like to play baseball as a kid, but watching MLB is a bit like watching the grass grow. Here are just 2 reasons:

1. Stupid touchy - feely little meetings between pitcher and manager right in the middle of an inning. Why do fans have to watch some overweight manager waddle out to the pitchers mound, and waste time explaining to his pitcher why he needs to be replac ...[text shortened]... ed is just one of the many reasons people are turning to other sports and MLB is losing attendance.
    I’ve played a lot of sports and used to enjoy watching some on TV but I mostly stopped doing that because I really hate watching, ad Infinitum, those damn replays. Come on, I saw it the first time.😡👍
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    24 Apr '22 13:23
    @great-big-stees said
    I’ve played a lot of sports and used to enjoy watching some on TV but I mostly stopped doing that because I really hate watching, ad Infinitum, those damn replays. Come on, I saw it the first time.😡👍
    I watch it recorded on ESPN when the giants are playing.I've no particular affiliation to the giants but I don't have the time to follow more than 1 team and I started watching the giants when Bumgarner was pitching for them.
    It's frustrating though because the game that is advertised is not always what is shown so when I think I am recording the giants at Midnight UK time I find the next day they have shown a different game!
    I agree with everything that has been said here and in the other thread about the wasted time on replays,mound meetings and disputes.
    I also think the DH detracts from the tactics
  4. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    25 Apr '22 01:271 edit
    @venda said
    I watch it recorded on ESPN when the giants are playing.I've no particular affiliation to the giants but I don't have the time to follow more than 1 team and I started watching the giants when Bumgarner was pitching for them.
    It's frustrating though because the game that is advertised is not always what is shown so when I think I am recording the giants at Midnight UK time I ...[text shortened]... e wasted time on replays,mound meetings and disputes.
    I also think the DH detracts from the tactics
    Anyone that believes that a baseball game,
    is too slow, doesn't really understand
    the finer points of the game.-------------
    I'm with you on DH....
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '22 20:39
    @mchill said

1. Stupid touchy - feely little meetings between pitcher and manager right in the middle of an inning. Why do fans have to watch some overweight manager waddle out to the pitchers mound, and waste time explaining to his pitcher why he needs to be replac ...[text shortened]... ed is just one of the many reasons people are turning to other sports and MLB is losing attendance.
    It's also boring AF waiting the whole game for a good play and it finally happens when you're in line for the bathroom.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 May '22 17:29
    I agree with the previous comments except when it comes to the playoffs. Post-season games have an entirely different feel and every play, sometimes every pitch.

I watched that Yankees/Red Sox game that ended up being the longest baseball game in history: despite the length, every moment was exciting, the tension was palpable. Maybe it could be that I'm a Yankees fan; but then again, most playoff games have this electricity to it.

So I agree with all of you except during the fall.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '22 00:321 edit
    @vivify said
    I agree with the previous comments except when it comes to the playoffs. Post-season games have an entirely different feel and every play, sometimes every pitch.

I watched that Yankees/Red Sox game that ended up being the longest baseball game in history: despite the length, every moment was exciting, the tension was palpable. Maybe it could be that I'm a Yankees fan; but ...[text shortened]... t playoff games have this electricity to it.

So I agree with all of you except during the fall.
    When my wife and I were dating, we were going to go to a festival in a town I grew
    up in. She showed up at my house, I was watching the Cub game, I only wanted to
    watch the end of the Cub game I was watching. They were leading by five runs in
    the bottom of the 9th. My lovely soon-to-be-wife okayed this; after 23 innings, they
    lost. Every year after that, something came up during that festival, so we never
    made it to it; we then moved out of state. So every year for over 30 years now, I still
    hear about that! 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree