1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    03 Mar '19 21:53
    Do American Football fans support the franchise or the city? So if a team moves from city A to city B to the fans from city A keep supporting the team or do they wait until a new team moves to their city?

As the huge majority of cities do not have NFL teams how do the people of these cities choose a team to support? The nearest?
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 12:07
    @stellspalfie

The Teams have no Connection to any City anyway. In Pro sports it is all about the Money and supporting the succesful Team...

I like Amateur sports much better when the Players are really from the town and there is an intense Connection. BUt well this is just my opinion.
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 16:53
    @ponderable said
    @stellspalfie

The Teams have no Connection to any City anyway. In Pro sports it is all about the Money and supporting the succesful Team...
    Not true. The majority of the fans who support the New England Patriots live in or near
    New England. Fans in the New York City metropolitan area largely support the Giants
    or the Jets. In 1957, when the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants (both baseball
    teams) moved to California, the allegiance of most of their fans didn't follow.
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    04 Mar '19 19:53
    @ponderable said
    @stellspalfie

I like Amateur sports much better when the Players are really from the town and there is an intense Connection. BUt well this is just my opinion.
    I agree with what you say regarding professional sports teams although that is not what the original question was.
    In the U.K the fans will support their local team although the team will probably be made up largely from international players who have no affiliation to the town/city that is represented by the team name.
    I once read that 67% of players in the English premier league are not English.
    What is more annoying in my opinion is the loan culture that prevails in English football.
    What possible motivation can a player have to play for another club when he is sent out "on loan" from the club he was hoping to play for?
    Ok he gets match experience but his loyalty to his on loan club surely cannot be very high.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    06 Mar '19 19:201 edit
    @stellspalfie said
    Do American Football fans support the franchise or the city? So if a team moves from city A to city B to the fans from city A keep supporting the team or do they wait until a new team moves to their city?

As the huge majority of cities do not have NFL teams how do the people of these cities choose a team to support? The nearest?
    City, wait, when LA had no team we mostly ignored football or reminisced about the glory days of the Raiders.
  6. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    11 Mar '19 19:48
    @venda the best example in U.K. is MK Dons (nickname franchise!) one of the most hated teams in country, the rebirth of Wimbledon as AFC Wimbledon hit their early attendances hard however they seem to have now picked up a following in Milton Keynes, Milton Keynes City already exsisted before the move so they were also generally shafted
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '19
    Moves
    12 Mar '19 18:04
    In the US it's more about the city/region. So if their city doesn't have a team most of the time they cheer for the next closest team.
    If a team moves some fans keep supporting the team but most fans adopt a new team to cheer for that is in proximity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree