1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 12:08
    In my opinion the whole thing is a big problem. But no nation (at least none of the nations which have any chance to win) will boycott the event.

Lets see how the "Winter chamionship" will unfold.
  2. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 19:17
    @ponderable said
    In my opinion the whole thing is a big problem. But no nation (at least none of the nations which have any chance to win) will boycott the event.

The problem in my head is that I don't trust FIFA so I naturally assume this is about corruption.

If it wasn't about corruption and the question was about moving the timing of the event as a way of maximising the number of countries in the world that are able to host the world's game that would be harder to know how I felt.
  3. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    14 Oct '21 21:59
    @ponderable said

the way it will unfold, England will win it
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '21 22:36
    @ponderable said

So many reasons not to have it in Qatar it's shocking they were even considered but then the same with the Saudi takeover at Newcastle, money and corruption win in the end. Russia wasn't an ideal choice either but at the very least they have a semi competitive team and have a history in the game.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    14 Oct '21 22:49
    Can anyone name one decent Qatar player?
    Apart from Eric Clapton, I am struggling!
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    15 Oct '21 06:50
    To be fair Qatar won the Asian Championship 2019...so they should be at least semi competitive.

But that BIG Money buys Sports is nothing new. And yes germany had a problem too with buying the 2006 championship, a reason for shame
  7. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    15 Oct '21 10:501 edit
    @ponderable said
    To be fair Qatar won the Asian Championship 2019...so they should be at least semi competitive.

But that BIG Money buys Sports is nothing new. And yes germany had a problem too with buying the 2006 championship, a reason for shame
    2006 was our year.
    Germany won in Brazil.
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Oct '21 07:51
    @woofwoof said
    2006 was our year.
    Germany won in Brazil.
    Germany wo in Brazil 2014 (in my recollection) Italy won 2006.

But that the Championship was held in Germany was due to bribery. And that is a dark chapter in the vita of Franz Beckenbauer, who has been a great footballer (World champion in 1974)
  9. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    16 Oct '21 15:49
    @ponderable said
    Germany wo in Brazil 2014 (in my recollection) Italy won 2006.

But that the Championship was held in Germany was due to bribery. And that is a dark chapter in the vita of Franz Beckenbauer, who has been a great footballer (World champion in 1974)
    Oh, I see what you were referring to in that post.
    I thought you were saying that Germany won in 2006.

Yes, I agree about the corruption during those years. Much of it can be attributed to Sepp Blatter. The fish rots from the head down, they say.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    22 Nov '21 08:18
    The first teams now have qualified.

Italy has to go through the relegation, which is a bit of a surprise.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '22 01:58
    @ponderable said
    The first teams now have qualified.

Italy has to go through the relegation, which is a bit of a surprise.
    And against RonaldošŸ˜±

Seen daft the draw wasn’t seeded, Wales might be playing Scotland for a place while Italy and Portugal play each other... as much as I’d like to see Wales or Scotland qualify, we want to see the best teams and the best players at the World Cup and that’s Italy and Portugal out of the 12 in the playoffs.
  12. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    07 Jan '22 14:57
    @Trev33 i thought it was seeded and Wales, Scotland, Italy and Portugal were all in the seeded teams
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 18:58
    @wycombe-al said
    @Trev33 i thought it was seeded and Wales, Scotland, Italy and Portugal were all in the seeded teams
    For the first round but in second round those parirings could come to pass.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '22 23:06
    @wycombe-al said
    There’s 3 World Cup places between 12 teams, as Pondy said the first round was seeded based on how many points they got in the qualifying groups, so Italy and Portugal avoided each other but the second round which decides which teams go through was random so if Italy and Portugal both get through their first match they play each other for a place.

Wales and Scotland play each other if they both win theirs.
  15. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Feb '22 11:56
    Though Asian groups are not finished Iran and South Korea can't be stopped and will take part.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree