1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Jun '19 17:14
    @pawnpaw said
    I love watching them girls play soccer. Their standard is quite high.
    Australia's Kerr is very good. In the one game she headed two goals.
    They showed those two goals on Sportsnet replays!!!

-VR
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 19:52
    World Cup Semi Finals, at the Half: USA 2 - 1 England

Tomorrow will be Netherlands v. Sweden
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    02 Jul '19 21:044 edits
    It's a final USA 2 - 1 England. Condolences to my Brit chaps.

Note: Before the game, Captain Megan Rapinoe of the US was benched with no explanation. It could be injury according to wire servicers. Or it could be the ugly outburst she had the other day before the USA France match, aimed at Donald Trump and the team's non visit to the white house as if they had already won it all. Her attitude was that Trump will not invite the team to the white house if they win the championship because there are lesbians on the USA team.

Personally, my biggest rub with Rapinoe is that her statement was said *before* the USA team won three more games, otherwise it is all a moot point. That is a real slap in the face to all teams left in the tourney, as if the USA will just romp over everyone and anyone, so Rapinoe spoke as if the tourney was over and the USA team had won it all.

That would have been my reason to bench her, sportsmanship unbecoming a spokesperson of a world cup team. Let's see if she plays the finals v. the winner of Sweden and The Netherlands, set for tomorrow.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 00:10
    @earl-of-trumps said
    It's a final USA 2 - 1 England. Condolences to my Brit chaps.

Note: Before the game, Captain Megan Rapinoe of the US was benched with no explanation. It could be injury according to wire servicers. Or it could be the ugly outburst she had the other day before the USA France match, aimed at Donald Trump and the team's non visit to the white house as if they h ...[text shortened]... am. Let's see if she plays the finals v. the winner of Sweden and The Netherlands, set for tomorrow.
    I have to say the USA team sickens me the way they are acting.
  5. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 01:51
    If it makes anyone feel better....most of us in the US don't care about soccer...we care even less about womens soccer.....we dislike this particular US womens team and wished they would have lost to France, let alone England.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 14:03
    @buzz-meeks said
    If it makes anyone feel better....most of us in the US don't care about soccer...we care even less about womens soccer.....we dislike this particular US womens team and wished they would have lost to France, let alone England.
    Some of the players can be annoying, but I'm not prepared to broad-stroke the whole team with that tag.

Heath, Lavelle and Ertz can freaking play some futbol!
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 21:44
    Semifinal score: Netherlands 1 - 0 Sweden

Finals will see Netherlands v. USA, Sunday at 14:00 GMT
  8. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 21:50
    @kellyjay said
    I have to say the USA team sickens me the way they are acting.
    Standing up to bigots and bullies is the American way. Is it not ?
    I am quite impressed by their gumption.
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    03 Jul '19 23:01
    @caissad4 said
    Standing up to bigots and bullies is the American way. Is it not ?
    Hmmm, I thought we were playing football here. What bully and bigot would you be referring to and why?
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    04 Jul '19 21:38
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Hmmm, I thought we were playing football here. What bully and bigot would you be referring to and why?
    When you beat a another team 13-0 you don't celebrate every goal like it was the first goal of the game! Showed bad sportsmanship on the U.S. part, many are in agreement to that was in bad taste.

-VR
  11. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 12:42
    @Very-Rusty

Well, as you have read, I called a certain player out for poor sportsmanship for another reason. But Caissad4 stood up for Rapinoe saying she stood up against a bigot and a bully and I just wanted him to clarify that. not sure what he meant by that.
    Anyway, it was controversial to get 13 goals but to me, they are only doing what they trained all their lives to do. The celebrations could have been suppressed a bit, I suppose, but to me, the big rub was Rapinoe talking like the USA winning the tourney was only a formality. that sucked.
  12. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 12:55
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @Very-Rusty

Well, as you have read, I called a certain player out for poor sportsmanship for another reason. But Caissad4 stood up for Rapinoe saying she stood up against a bigot and a bully and I just wanted him to clarify that. not sure what he meant by that.
    Anyway, it was controversial to get 13 goals but to me, they are only doing what they trained all their l ...[text shortened]... the big rub was Rapinoe talking like the USA winning the tourney was only a formality. that sucked.
    I agree that Rapinoe is an arrogant little cuss. Her talent undeniable, the way she poses with outstretched arms after she scores is demonstrably egomaniacal.

But the behavior of the whole team is not reflective of just a single game or actions of a single player.

I will still watch tomorrow's Championship with pride and pleasure.
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 13:20
    @wolfe63 said
    I agree that Rapinoe is an arrogant little cuss. Her talent undeniable, the way she poses with outstretched arms after she scores is demonstrably egomaniacal.

But the behavior of the whole team is not reflective of just a single game or actions of a single player.

I will still watch tomorrow's Championship with pride and pleasure.
    Good point, WOLFE63, and I thought long and hard about it. Rapinoe was benched for the England game, so I rooted for USA because I do not want to take it out on the whole team just because of that 'arrogant little cuss', as you succinctly put it. She's beyond just "cocky".

Now, I am playing a game with a gal from the Netherlands, chess-preacher. She is very knowledgeable about soccer and sport in general so we have been chatting it up. Anyway, I told her, that if Rapinoe is benched for the USA Netherlands game I'll root for USA, but if she plays, I'm tugging for Netherlands.

Have a good one
  14. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 13:36
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @Very-Rusty

Anyway, it was controversial to get 13 goals but to me, they are only doing what they trained all their l ...[text shortened]... the big rub was Rapinoe talking like the USA winning the tourney was only a formality. that sucked.
    You must not be a fan of American Football. For decades "Broadway" Joe Namath was idolized for his bragging before the 1969 Super Bowl that he would win.
    When a woman does it, is it different from when a man does it ?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '19 14:33
    @buzz-meeks said
    Yep, but still our women's team shows over and over again how they have no sportsmanship.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree