1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 22:01
    http://fortune.com/2018/06/15/mlb-attendance-rate-declining/

Baseball has the lowest attendance in over 15 years.

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with watching the really good teams play there horrible teams, or worse, you have two really bad teams play that no one cares about. Never before in the history of baseball has there been such a payroll discrepancy. You have your rich teams and poor teams. How can a team like the Devil Rays compete with a team like the Yankees when the Yankees spend more money on their bull pen than the Rays spend on their entire team?

It's just not working and people know it. The movie "Moneyball" is a good movie to watch to understand this issue, which was created by the baseball unions since the last strike.

Other factors, the game is too boring for fans today and weather probably also have an effect, as well as rising admission rates and concession prices.

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '18 23:48
    When you make it too expensive for families to go to games you gut your future.

Kids who do not go to games will not go to games as adults.

But sports in general are taking hits. Kids would rather play video games.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 03:31
    Originally posted by @eladar
    When you make it too expensive for families to go to games you gut your future.

Kids who do not go to games will not go to games as adults.

But sports in general are taking hits. Kids would rather play video games.
    Agreed.

Sports may go way of the circus.

People just don't care anymore.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Jun '18 07:11
    Originally posted by @whodey

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with ...[text shortened]...

So there is it, the best sport ever created and it is dying. I reckon nothing lasts forever.
    Rugby and Soccer are both growing in USA.
    Cricket too.

These are proper sports.
    If they were good enough for Britain, they were good enough for the Empire.
    If good enough for the Empire, good enough for the world.
    (And probably too good for the Yanks)
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Jun '18 23:122 edits

Why?

As the article speculates, it is probably a combination of factors. Never in the history of baseball have so many teams been on track to lose a 100 games. We have teams from day one no one takes seriously. You are then left with ...[text shortened]...

Good. Staring at a bunch of goofy men standing around spitting and getting paid 2 million a year is about as thrilling as watching the grass grow. I hope it dies faster! 😴

All you need to be a baseball fan is a baseball cap, a wide butt, and a bunch of meaningless statistics. 😵
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 19:33

Why?

Not read the article , but there is a way to level the playing field and that is to cap the amount teams can spend on players and salaries.
    It works in Rugby league in the UK but sadly has never been applied to soccer.
    The teams with the most cash to spend will always prevail unless something is done and it won't be because all the money to be made in soccer by the big clubs is by playing against the super rich European clubs.
    Regarding ticket prices, the only answer there is a mass boycott by the fans.
    If no one bought a season ticket at "x" pounds or dollars the clubs would have to do something about it , but that will never happen either.
  7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 19:42

Why?

Money ball was a great book and movie but other clubs now use the Billie bean system pioneered by the "A's " which brings me on to another point.Technology.I think it is ruining all professional sports because every flaw in any players technique can be analysed and exploited by the opposition.
    Also globalisation. When an Australian test team came over to England say in the 50's or 60's there would be players who you'd never seen before.Much more interesting
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    22 Jun '18 23:363 edits

Why?

I’ve been an Atlanta Braves fan since 91. I know they’re doing OK this year. I honestly don’t know a single player’s name on the team or on any other of the 29 other teams. But I’m not really into sports that much anymore right now.

Baseball is America’s pastime. Football is America’s game. This percentage is on pace for 100 or more losses 0.3827
    This is on pace for 100+ wins 0.6172 As of now three teams are in the hundred plus wins and three teams are in the hundred plus losses.
  9. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    13 Jul '18 22:16
    Originally posted by @rbhill
    I’ve been an Atlanta Braves fan since 91. I know they’re doing OK this year. I honestly don’t know a single player’s name on the team or on any other of the 29 other teams. But I’m not really into sports that much anymore right now.

Baseball is America’s pastime. Football is America’s game. This percentage is on pace for 100 or more losses 0.3827
    This is ...[text shortened]... of now three teams are in the hundred plus wins and three teams are in the hundred plus losses.
    A fellow Braves fan, eh? Good to seem them doing well again. Finally.
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 10:00
    I have been a fan of the Boston Red Sox since 1967.
    This year I wish I was still living there. Wow is the word !
  11. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 10:03
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    A fellow Braves fan, eh? Good to seem them doing well again. Finally.
    When my mom passed away I found an autographed picture ( to her) from a Braves pitcher named Warren Spahn. Apparently she watched him play for the old Boston Braves many moons ago.
  12. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    16 Jul '18 21:46
    Going back to the title of the thread, I don't think Baseball is dying at all . I'm not in the U.S of course so probably not the best judge of the state of the game but whenever I watch the Giants on t.v wherever they play there seems to be a pretty decent crowd.
    I don't really see the point of the all star break and the home run derby though.Looks to me like just a way to make more money out of the Baseball supporters.
  13. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    17 Jul '18 02:07
    Originally posted by @venda
    Going back to the title of the thread, I don't think Baseball is dying at all . I'm not in the U.S of course so probably not the best judge of the state of the game but whenever I watch the Giants on t.v wherever they play there seems to be a pretty decent crowd.
    I don't really see the point of the all star break and the home run derby though.Looks to me like just a way to make more money out of the Baseball supporters.
    I agree on all points. Many of the weaker teams are experiencing low attendance though.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 05:122 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jul '18 18:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree