1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 10:05
    @secondson said
    Like divegeester for example. Just kidding. I'm waiting for him to show up here today so I can leave. 😂
    You may leave...
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 15:083 edits
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

You don't think a quote that begins, 'God's purpose in creating man..' is relevant in a thread about why God created man/woman?!

I will take your question to me to mean that you thought on the subject of why God created man/woman it would be best discovered (as to a Living Stream Ministry book) in a book about What Is Regeneration?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 16:30
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

You don't think a quote that begins, 'God's purpose in creating man..' is relevant in a thread about why God created man/woman?!

I will take your question to me to mean that you thought on the subject of why God created man/woman it would be best discovered (as to a Living Stream Ministry book) in a book about What Is Regeneration?
    Where the quote was written was pretty irrelevant to me. It still addressed the topic of the thread.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 17:06
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Where the quote was written was pretty irrelevant to me. It still addressed the topic of the thread.

To not get too far ahead of things, you might consider Genesis 2:18 - 25

Probably that is the clearest early indication as to why God created male and female.

The section starts with this -
    "And Jehovah God said, It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper as his counterpart." (Gen. 2:18)

Most directly after God made Adam He thought it was not good that the man should be alone. So out from Adam he made "Mrs. Adam" so to speak. He created from Adam a helpmeet, a counterpart.

But first God had Adam name all the animals to (I believe) build up his sense of anticipation.

When God build the woman out of a rib taken from Adam's side, He brought the woman to the man. And he exclaimed -

"This time this is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; this one shall be called Woman beccause out of Man this one was taken." (v.23)

God created man/woman because it was not good that the man should be alone.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 17:57
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Probably that is the clearest early indication as to why God created male and female.

"And Jehovah God said, It ...[text shortened]... taken." (v.23)

Which, of course, doesn't explain in the slightest why God created Adam.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 18:23
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

"And Jehovah God said, It ...[text shortened]... taken." (v.23)

Here's a swift biology lesson; in order to make more people you need two types of people, a man and a woman. Adam may have struggled on his own.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 18:33
    @indonesia-phil said
    Here's a swift biology lesson; in order to make more people you need two types of people, a man and a woman. Adam may have struggled on his own.
    You'd think an omniscient deity would have known that.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 18:52
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You'd think an omniscient deity would have known that.
    You're never too old to learn.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 22:031 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

The Bible can help you out there also. Remember that Adam is really the man and his wife - a couple. That is in chapter two and five.

Genesis 5:1,2

"This is the book of the generation of Adam. When God created Adam, He made him in the likeness of God.

Male and female He created them, and He blessed them and called their name Adam, on the day they were created."

God called their name (Adam and Eve) the man and his wife - Adam.

Now to back up to chapter one you have two important words I would draw everyone's attention to - - image and dominion.

These two words are helpful in grasping why God created humanity.

Genesis 1;26,27
    " And God said, Let Us make man in Our IMAGE, according to Our likeness, and let them have DOMINION over the fish of the sea and over the birds of heaven and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

And God created man in His own IMAGE; in the IMAGE of God He created him; male and female He created them."

God had a council within Himself in which He determined that He would make a creature in His own IMAGE and vest in him deputy authority to reign over God's creation. That is to have DOMINION.

God created man to in some way express God, manifest God, and in some way to reign on behalf of God - image and dominion.

We were created to express and manifest God in some way.
    And we were created for the purpose of exercising deputy authority to rule for God and have dominion on His behalf over His creation.
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 23:13
    @sonship said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

The Bible can help you out there also. Remember that Adam is really the man and his wife - a couple. That is in chapter two and five.

Genesis 5:1,2

[quote] [b]"This is the book of the generation of Adam. When God created Adam, He made him in the like ...[text shortened]... se of exercising deputy authority to rule for God and have dominion on His behalf over His creation.
    So your god made Adam who was actually two people, (how does anyone know they were called Adam?) in his/her own image, so does your god look like a man or a woman?
    And was having dominion over his/her creation supposed to have included killing it off at every opportunity, do you suppose, or was this just faulty production?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '20 23:25
    @sonship said
    We were created to express and manifest God in some way.And we were created for the purpose of exercising deputy authority to rule for God and have dominion on His behalf over His creation.
    And yet at another time, not so long ago, you were insisting that the prescient and vengeful Christian God hangs burning non-believers/"sinners" out on chains supposedly in order to "glorify" himself. Presumably those humans were created for that purpose.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 20:591 edit
    @Indonesia-Phil

So your god made Adam who was actually two people,

Yes, something like that.

(how does anyone know they were called Adam?) in his/her own image, so does your god look like a man or a woman?

We are told that God called their name "Adam". That settles the matter for me.

Now the two words used in Genesis 1:26 are image and likeness.

Scholars have long debated how much of this and which word speaks to something more inner of man's being and which points to something more physical.

Before I comment further I would want to review some things. But I don't take "image of God" to mean the physical appearance of a male. I think that is probably a superfiscial understanding of man made in the image of God.

Now "according to Our likeness" may have meant something more of outward appearance. I need to review what I learned.

I believe that man was made according to what Christ is. This is very mysterious. That is on one hand we think of Christ becomming a man for man's salvation. But on the other hand, paradoxically, man made in the image of Christ indicates that ALREADY Christ was there as some kind of model according to which God created man.

So this paradox I cannot explain. But if you read Genesis 2:3:8 carefully it appears that God came to Adam and Eve in the cool of the day, like a visitor who was probably like them. I would say glorious but somewhat like them too.

"And they heard the sound of Jehovah God walking about in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of Jehovah God among the trees of the garden." (Gen 3:8)

Doesn't it kind of give you the impression God came to them on somewhat of a level LIKE them ? Walking in the cool of the day, like a human would do on a pleasant afternoon.

I am sorry that I don't have all the answers for you that you'd like to have.

Add to the musings that Christ is the image of the invisible God.
    "[Christ] Who is the image of the invisible God, the Firstborn of all creation." (Col. 2:15)

This is a biblical paradox which I am not yet able to explain.
    God became a man in Christ the image of the invisible God.
    Yet man was made in the image of Christ to begin with.

And was having dominion over his/her creation supposed to have included killing it off at every opportunity, do you suppose, or was this just faulty production?

No.
    But when man withdrew from being under the authority of God the harmony of creation collapsed.

The next time you get bitten by a mosquito or barked at by a mean dog, think of the collapse of the scheme of nature because of the rebellion of man to be independent from his Maker.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree