1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Jan '20 15:07
    @fmf said
    In the context of this community, a kind of paranoia indicator, then, if used all the time, as is the case with sonship.
    A few weeks back he seemed to be insisting that any idea or opinion was a "dogma" and that sharing a perspective or participating in a discussion was "propagandizing". This is how words get rinsed of their meaning.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jan '20 21:07

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    20 Jan '20 21:25
    @deepthought said
    Judging by your post it looks as if they've already done away with conjunctives.
    I also know a high school English teacher who gets things back on essays with for example the word you is with u and the would with is w/ So they return it for the studentS to correct it.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 12:16
    @fmf said
    A few weeks back he seemed to be insisting that any idea or opinion was a "dogma" and that sharing a perspective or participating in a discussion was "propagandizing". This is how words get rinsed of their meaning.
    Sonship complaining about dogma? We'll have the Donaldo complaining about male chauvinism next.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 22:24
    @fmf said
    In the context of this community, a kind of paranoia indicator, then, if used all the time, as is the case with sonship.
    Ah, so now we finally get to the root of your intended message.

Took long enough to pry it out of you.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '20 02:08
    @suzianne said
    Ah, so now we finally get to the root of your intended message.
    "Finally"? Huh? I have asked sonship head-on about his capitalization of the common noun atheist almost every time I have encountered it. The 'intention' of the OP could hardly be clearer. My opinion about sonship's capitalization of atheist has never been a secret. You "finally" get it?

To your way of thinking, when the style of spelling the word "atheist" with a capital A is used, what do you think is the intended meaning?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 00:341 edit
    @fmf said
    "Finally"? Huh? I have asked sonship head-on about his capitalization of the common noun atheist almost every time I have encountered it. The 'intention' of the OP could hardly be clearer. My opinion about sonship's capitalization of atheist has never been a secret. You "finally" get it?

To your way of thinking, when the style of spelling the word "atheist" with a capital A is used, what do you think is the intended meaning?
    I was talking about your motivation of creating this supposedly "innocent" thread whose only reason for existing was to go after sonship. Again.

You should have come clean in your OP, then I would have ignored the thread for the drivel it became.

Is this thread an example of your "recreational outrage"?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 04:10
    @suzianne said
    I was talking about your motivation of creating this supposedly "innocent" thread whose only reason for existing was to go after sonship. Again.

You should have come clean in your OP, then I would have ignored the thread for the drivel it became.

This thread is not about you, Suzianne, or whether or not you believe this OP was "innocent" or "guilty" of something. Do you have any response to the OP question which is about the meaning intended by capitalizing the word "atheist"?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '20 04:15
    @suzianne said
    It is you who seems outraged. Yet again. Go read your own posts.

No. I am not outraged by anyone's capitalization of the common noun "atheist", but I am curious about what the people who do it think they achieve.

DeepThought, on page 1, may have got it right.

However, I wonder whether the intention is to bundle people who lack belief in God [to varying degrees and for various reasons] so as to sidestep the implications of that diversity.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Jan '20 22:50
    @fmf said
    What effect is the word "Atheist", spelt with a capital A, intended to have on the meaning of the sentence in which it appears?
    There are at least two senses of “atheism”. One is lack of belief in God, with no implication of any sort of theory or argument to back it up; all newborns are atheists in this sense.

Another is belief in lack of God, possibly backed up by some sort of theory or argument. This might be distinguished from the first sort by capitalization, on paar with other philosophical positions which are also capitalized (Empiricism, Rationalism, Platonism, etc). So, an exponent of this position would be an Atheist (like an Empiricist, Rationalist, Platonist, etc.), whereas a newborn would be an atheist (lc).
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 01:36

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 07:401 edit
    @suzianne said

You need to stop treating sonship as though he’s your disabled little brother who is being picked on in the playground because he can’t run fast enough.

Instead you could consider how sonship is actually one of the most spiteful religionists in this forum who has said some of the most horrible things to people, usually when in an intellectual pinch.
  13. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    29 Jan '20 21:41
    @divegeester said
    You need to stop treating sonship as though he’s your disabled little brother who is being picked on in the playground because he can’t run fast enough.

Instead you could consider how sonship is actually one of the most spiteful religionists in this forum who has said some of the most horrible things to people, usually when in an intellectual pinch.
    It's a bit simular to how FMF treats you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree