1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Jun '22 22:27
    @suzianne said
    "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly." -- Matthew 6:5-6, KJV
    Yes, I've always felt that the more ostentatious the piety, the less sincere.

If the coach wants to showboat in the configuration of a praying mantis on the field, well, who cares? I don't.
  2. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    28 Jun '22 22:30
    @fmf said
    @Suzianne
    I am not so interested in Matthew 6:5-6 because it butts up against people in real [Christian] life praying in church, prayer groups, vigils etc. Matthew 6:5-6 is ripe for cherry-picking.

No. Instead, I am more interested in why there is this movement in American culture that seeks to drive religion and faith out of the public domain and away from the public square, so to speak?
    Churches were kind of a later invention, weren't they? Keep the sabbath holy and all that, but as far as I know there's nothing in the instruction manual (i.e. the Bible) about convening with others in a big building to make a big show about it.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 00:28
    @suzianne said
    I didn't realize you were so far-right in your politics.
    I'm not.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 00:31
    @suzianne said
    Your position is idiotic and anti-America, just like the Court's.
    You may disagree with what I have posted on this thread but I don't see how calling me "idiotic" makes your stance any more persuasive.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 17:29
    @soothfast said
    Churches were kind of a later invention, weren't they? Keep the sabbath holy and all that, but as far as I know there's nothing in the instruction manual (i.e. the Bible) about convening with others in a big building to make a big show about it.
    But there was overwhelming desire to build the Temple and to get the "holiest of holies" out of a tent in the desert.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 17:301 edit
    @fmf said
    You may disagree with what I have posted on this thread but I don't see how calling me "idiotic" makes your stance any more persuasive.
    Okay, I grant you that. I also grant that I called your position, not you, idiotic.

How about ignorant?

You're certainly ignorant about American politics. You perhaps could have saved us all a bunch of time by admitting that right from the gate.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Jun '22 01:41
    @suzianne said
    You're certainly ignorant about American politics. You perhaps could have saved us all a bunch of time by admitting that right from the gate.
    I think my ambivalence about the way this coach was treated overlaps or concurs with what millions and millions of Americans think, and they are covered by the term "American politics" surely? So. Ignorant? No. Idiotic? No. Simply saying something that differs from your particular "American" political opinion? Yes.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 01:28
    @fmf said
    I'm not.
    So you're just "taking the piss"?

Not surprising.
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 01:54
    Thanking the God of Abraham for a football win always seemed a little off the mark.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 02:141 edit
    @suzianne said
    So you're just "taking the piss"?
    Not at all. It's silly of you to suggest I am "far-right in [my] politics".
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 02:51
    @fmf said
    "Joseph A. Kennedy, a former high school football coach, was fired after he made a habit of going to the 50-yard line after his team’s games to thank God and to lead his players in prayer. On Monday, the Supreme Court heard his suit." ~ The Daily

Isn't feeling excluded from such moments simply character building?

Thoughts?
    Christianity without persecution is like pancakes without maple syrup (and melted butter, of course).
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 04:05
    @kevin-eleven said
    Christianity without persecution is like pancakes without maple syrup (and melted butter, of course).
    So now upholding the Constitution is "persecution"?
  13. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 04:11
    @suzianne said
    It seems you have skipped over a few steps.
    Please show your work. 😉

(I had the same problem in school.)
  14. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 04:44

Removed by poster

15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Jul '22 05:57
    @suzianne said
    re: The Constitution ~ The idea that the football coach was establishing "a state religion" is ludicrous. I hardly think it is a proper use of the constitution to try to insulate people from witnessing other people's personal expression of faith.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree