1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    23 Feb '20 22:31
    Matthew 16
    Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

Who do you say Jesus is?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Feb '20 01:181 edit
    @kellyjay said
    Matthew 16
    Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

Who do you say Jesus is?
    Assuming what we think we "know" about him isn't simply the description of a composite figure [constructed decades after he died by writers with the aim of establishing a breakaway religion/cult of personality], I think he was probably nothing more or less than a radical Jewish rabbi who caused enough of a stir to result in him being executed by the Romans for sedition but not enough of a stir to cause anything to be written about him during his lifetime.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Feb '20 02:05
    @kellyjay said
    Who do you say Jesus is?
    I say he is not the same Jesus you speak about and who burns people alive because they failed to believe in him.
  4. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    25 Feb '20 20:46
    @kellyjay said
    Matthew 16

Who do you say Jesus is?
    A religeous fanatic like those we call terrorists these days.
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    25 Feb '20 23:54
    @kellyjay said
    Matthew 16

Who do you say Jesus is?
    Jesus is a main character in a popular Western religious tome. He may have been a man that actually lived on earth, or a fictional character invented by religious radicals of that time. (I have no strong opinion either way.)

Many of his followers have their own personal and strict interpretation of the narrative of his life and teachings and doings. They tend to deny that this narrative is the result of an interpretation. Their narratives tend to clash with those of other followers. Each thinks their interpretation is the only right one, even though no two are completely alike.
  6. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    25 Feb '20 23:59
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 00:00
    @kegge said
    A religeous fanatic like those we call terrorists these days.
    The politically passive figure at the centre of the "Jesus" story, if anything, undermined the "radical" Jewish "terrorists" who were constantly rebelling against Roman colonial rule. This was done by depicting him as a maverick - effectively diluting and reframing Judaism - rather than depicting him as a "fanatic".
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 00:04
    @rookie54 said
    @BigDoggProblem

A+
    Thanks, prof.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 01:23
    @FMF

4.8 Richter Scale
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 03:02
    @fmf said
    @FMF

4.8 Richter Scale
    KellyJay has taken cover in Sonship’s Cave of Adullam.

Metaphorical speaking, not literally speaking of course.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 03:45
    @divegeester said
    KellyJay has taken cover in Sonship’s Cave of Adullam.
    Like Kellyanne Conway (sonship) playing chess against Mike Pence (KellyJay).
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 18:035 edits
    @fmf said
    Like Kellyanne Conway (sonship) playing chess against Mike Pence (KellyJay).
    It is interesting that in the Biblical account of Jesus pretty much everyone ended up abandoning him to the cross as well.

Just more brilliant chess players I reckon. Even Peter who disavowed him like you do now.

Some things never change.

But to his credit once Peter denied Christ and the rooster crowed he wept bitterly and later repented. You see, he loved him.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Feb '20 23:411 edit
    @whodey said
    It is interesting that in the Biblical account of Jesus pretty much everyone ended up abandoning him to the cross as well.

Just more brilliant chess players I reckon. Even Peter who disavowed him like you do now.

But to his credit once Peter denied Christ and the rooster crowed he wept bitterly and later repented. You see, he loved him.
    "Abandoned"? He cut off someone's ear attempting to prevent the arrest, for Christ's Sake! (not gonna lie; pun intended)
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '20 01:04
    @whodey said

Who Jesus actually was and how he was depicted - in texts written decades and decades after he was executed for sedition - are most likely different things, at least to my non-superstitious way of thinking.

You have meagre evidence of what "Peter" actually said or did thirty or forty years before people seeking to create a religion sat down and started conjuring up a story.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '20 01:05
    @whodey said
    Even Peter who disavowed him like you do now.
    "Disavow"? Well, I am not a Christian, if that's what you mean.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree