1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 03:542 edits
    To religious folk here, what is the very most recent prayer of yours that was answered?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 10:20
    @vivify said
    To religious folk here, what is the very most recent prayer of yours that was answered?
    Clearly directed at those whose prayers contain loads 'gimme gimme requests'. Prayers ideally should contain no such thing. Personally my prayers dont need answering. I am thankful for what I have.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 10:32
    @rajk999 said
    Clearly directed at those whose prayers contain loads 'gimme gimme requests'. Prayers ideally should contain no such thing. Personally my prayers dont need answering. I am thankful for what I have.
    I actually agree with most of what rajk999 just said. My main focus in prayer is that if God adds to my life or takes away that neither turns me from Him. I don't see a problem for asking for anything as long as my motives are pure and not to just feed my fleshly desires. Having a lot or little is not a measure of how God feels about me, so whereever I am and whatever is going on, I pray my heart always remains in the hands of the One who died and came back for us all.

1 Timothy 6:5-7 English Standard Version (ESV)
    and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.
  4. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    11 Apr '19 13:11
    @vivify said
    most of my prayers need no answer, they are merely gratitude for the pain being manageable...
    the last prayer that was answered was a "no", for my request that the pain become a little less intense...
  5. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 11:19
    @vivify said
    All my prayers are always answered. Sometimes it's yes, and sometimes no.

My most recent prayer was, "Oh God please"?! And God said, "you're welcome, you're accepted in the beloved, don't worry about it, I'm in control".
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 17:451 edit
    Based on the responses here, I take it that it's considered more moral to *not* ask God for things that benefit you?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 17:50
    @vivify said
    Based on the responses here, I take it that it's considered more moral to *not* ask God for things that benefit you?
    Those who follow Christ will know not to ask for material things.
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 18:062 edits
    @rajk999 said
    Those who follow Christ will know not to ask for material things.
    Don't worry. FMF won't ask you anything about what you mean by that. You're free to say anything you want whether you're right or wrong.

By the way, we live in a material world.

Luke 11:9-12
    And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
    For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
    Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

God is not like you Rajk.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 20:46
    @vivify said
    This is because those posting here are not exactly in true "need". Internet access is a luxury (although quickly becoming less so), and in many families, basics like food and clothes and rent is where the money is spent. When so many people are in need, praying for oneself is considered selfish. Or maybe more accurately, it is SEEN as selfish by those who wish only to condemn. When I do pray for myself, it is for things like strength, clarity of mind, perseverance and courage. I do not depend on the kindness of strangers for my basic needs, yet I often pray that people's hearts become less hardened so more can help those who are truly in need.

Clearly, our material needs are mostly covered, and so what we pray for is mostly for others, those in more pressing need than we. I feel that what these people need is more concrete help, but it's got to start somewhere. Asking God for some "shiny" is clearly selfish while there are families who are going hungry and may not even have a place to stay for the night.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Apr '19 21:33
    @secondson said
    Don't worry. FMF won't ask you anything about what you mean by that. You're free to say anything you want whether you're right or wrong.

By the way, we live in a material world.

Luke 11:9-12
    And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
    For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh fi ...[text shortened]... im a serpent?
    Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

God is not like you Rajk.
    Jesus said God already know what you have need of, and that if you have food and clothes be content. therefore the wise Christian will pray for nothing material. I know Christians are the most notoriously materialistic bunch in the world. However the rule from God about material things is that seek first the Kingdom of God and everything else [all the material wealth] will be added as well. I dont care to go further into this topic. It is a petty one really.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree