1. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    26 Jun '21 15:29
    @FMF

Thanks for contributing, I enjoyed your contribution.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    27 Jun '21 09:471 edit
    @medullah said
    My first thread - I wanted to get away from Christian based/biased topics and hopefully give everyone a chance to have a say. I hope that this isn't too broad or open?

So -

* Can we define either of these two states, what is the difference?

* Is being spiritual the automatic domain of those that are religious?

* Is one of these characteristics more desirable or ...[text shortened]... ier for others to follow thought processes - we should not need 100 line responses to any of this 🙂
    So many questions -- couldn't you have just started ten or so threads? 😉

As for the subject line:

I think of "religious" as being more particular, more crystallized, more arbitrary, more traditional, more word-bound, involving more verbal mentation and external systems of sometimes well-intentioned manipulation, whereas "spiritual" is more focused (or maybe more unfocused) on what is beyond matter and verbiage.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Jun '21 18:19
    @medullah said
    My first thread - I wanted to get away from Christian based/biased topics and hopefully give everyone a chance to have a say. I hope that this isn't too broad or open?

So -

* Can we define either of these two states, what is the difference?

* Is being spiritual the automatic domain of those that are religious?

* Is one of these characteristics more desirable or ...[text shortened]... ier for others to follow thought processes - we should not need 100 line responses to any of this 🙂
    Religion requires subscribing to a pre-determined set of beliefs and/or rules, being "spiritual" doesn't.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Jun '21 01:19
    @vivify said
    Religion requires subscribing to a pre-determined set of beliefs and/or rules, being "spiritual" doesn't.
    Religions are ideologies.

Ideologies seek to extinguish doubt and deter further exploration.

Ideologies create frameworks based on assertions about the absolute truth ~ "pre-determined sets of beliefs and/or rules" as you put it ~ and invite people to subscribe to and internalize them.

Ideologies are intended to eliminate heterogeneity of thought, marginalize dissent, and make curiosity obsolete.

In this way, ideologies bind groups of adherents together in terms of their conformity, their compliance, and their means of identifying outsiders and opponents.

There may be "spirituality" involved in all these philosophical pursuits, but "spirituality" can and does obviously also stand apart from the groupist business of propagating ideologies.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 19:12
    @medullah said
    Can we define either of these two states, what is the difference?
    YouTube : Spiritual but not Religious

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree