1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 09:331 edit
    I get slated in here because I take what I feel is an eclectic view of biblical scripture. Because I purposefully choose reject the what I see as being accounts of behaviour or direction (directly or indirectly) to behave in a morally reprehensible way.

Why is this a bad thing?

I still internalise and focus on what I believe are the accounts of and direction towards behaving in a morally positive way and I see these as being the spirit of a benevolent God speaking through some of the contributors some of the time (I can’t quantify it).

This assertion that the only true Christian is a “bible believing Christian” is an anathema to me. It means nothing at all in terms of spirituality, faith, deeds nor even intellectual curiosity. It is merely a clumsy trope which is wheeled out by dogmatic, intellectually lazy religious zealots who are unable to defend the utter horror of some of there beliefs.

I believe the bible. I believe the parts which speak to me about me being a better person, those parts which speak about hope and love and charity, those parts which speak about the positive relationship between creator and creation.

I am therefore a “bible believing Christian”, am I not?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 13:521 edit
    @divegeester said
    I get slated in here because I take what I feel is an eclectic view of biblical scripture. Because I purposefully choose reject the what I see as being accounts of behaviour or direction (directly or indirectly) to behave in a morally reprehensible way.

Why is this a bad thing?

I still internalise and focus on what I believe are the accounts of and direction toward ...[text shortened]... lationship between creator and creation.

I suppose an eclectical view of biblical scripture is a good thing, so far be it from me to attempt to "slate" you. I had that view myself for awhile, so your question: "Why is that a bad thing?" I would answer - It's not.

Does this make you a bible believing Christian? Well, I would say it makes you partial bible believing Christian.

As far as your statement: "It is merely a clumsy trope which is wheeled out by dogmatic, intellectually lazy religious zealots who are unable to defend the utter horror of some of there beliefs" I would classify this as a combination of stereotyping based on your own opinion. All I can say to this is I apologize if I seem like a "dogmatic, intellectually lazy religious zealot" that was never my intention, however as I have stated repeatedly in the past: My faith is not based on logic, mathematics, physics or other earthly discipline, but rather something beyond those subjects.

One thing I can offer in my defense, however, is it is against my nature to engage in name calling, personal attacks, or stereotyping I see all too often in these forums. I believe everyone should be treated with some measure of respect, regardless of our views. 🙂
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 14:09
    @divegeester said

Why is this a bad thing?

I still internalise and focus on what I believe are the accounts of and direction toward ...[text shortened]... lationship between creator and creation.

You weren't slated.

You were defeated.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 14:47
    Gosh
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 16:061 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    You weren't slated.

You were defeated.
    You ran off.

Edit: it’s amusing that your vanity pleads that I was talking about you, I wasn’t.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 16:07
    @fmf said
    Gosh
    Yep.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jul '22 16:101 edit
    @mchill said
    I suppose an eclectical view of biblical scripture is a good thing, so far be it from me to attempt to "slate" you. I had that view myself for awhile, so your question: "Why is that a bad thing?" I would answer - It's not.

Does this make you a bible believing Christian? Well, I would say it makes you partial bible believing Christian.

As far as your statement: "It is ...[text shortened]... ms. I believe everyone should be treated with some measure of respect, regardless of our views. 🙂
    Thanks for the update on what you think you are or aren’t and for confirming your opinion that I’m a “partial” bible believing Christian. This is a new phrase to me.

As for your referenced to being slated; obviously I wasn’t talking about you, and if you spent any meaningful time in this forum you would know exactly who I was talking about.

Anyway thanks for posting.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 12:02
    @divegeester said

Why is this a bad thing?

Bible-believing Christians don't pick and choose those parts they like and dislike
    they take the whole thing as is.
  9. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 12:338 edits
    @kellyjay said
    Bible-believing Christians don't pick and choose those parts they like and dislike
    Like when Jesus said: "Don't judge" ?
    Also, please show us in the Bible where all abortions are wrong in God's eyes?
    "[Exodus 21:22 RSV] 22 "When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine."
    A fine, not a murder; how interesting. Seems Clear to me that God does NOT think that an unborn fetus before the quickening, or a glob of cells is a person or baby. Thoughts? Do you care for me to go further?
    Can you "take the whole thing as is" as a Bible believing Christian?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 12:58
    @kingdavid403 said
    Like when Jesus said: "Don't judge" ?
    Also, please show us in the Bible were all abortions are wrong in God's eyes?
    We are told not to judge because the judgment we use will be used on us, so if
    you judge someone murdering another; you are perfectly capable of judging that
    as wrong as you don't murder. God tells us not to murder; God is a God of life,
    and scripture tells us that God forms us in our mother's wombs, the very first
    person to leap for joy at the news of Jesus was John the Baptist while he was in his
    mother's womb. Do you want to stand in front of God after helping to justify the
    death of millions, ending the life that God has started, and think it is okay?

Justify the death of an innocent unborn child; let us hear your reasoning, your
    judgment. God gives life, not us, and a woman doesn't just decide she is going
    to have a baby and has one; we don't pick and choose, and when one comes, it
    is our responsibility to care for it, not kill it because we feel it is just and right and
    we want to. I have been told but have not verified that adoption agencies have
    more looking for a baby than there are babies. Many want to have one and
    cannot.

So in your judgment, what excuses short of a woman's life is that it justifies us
    ending their lives. Does every reason and excuse do it for you? Do you have a
    standard that says this is a good reason short of the mother's death? What is
    your JUDGMENT? Do you want to stick your head in the sand and say well, I
    wouldn't do it, but it is okay for them because you are so gutless you cannot
    even open your mouth about the topic except to question my views?

Luke 1:40-42
    New International Version
    where she entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth. When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!

Abortion isn't a word used in the Bible, but life and death are as well as we are
    to care for our family, believe it or not, the children we have are our responsibilities.
  11. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 13:046 edits
    @kellyjay said
    person to leap for joy at the news of Jesus was John the ...[text shortened]... as we are
    to care for our family, believe it or not, the children we have are our responsibilities.
    Do you have any scriptures to back your stance up besides scriptures that have nothing to do with abortion? Furthermore, God said nothing about murder in the scripture I shared; can you show us one that does on abortion? Or, are you picking and choosing to fit your self-righteous claims?

Judging someone as a murderer who committed a murder, that is a fact, not a judgement. Judging someone as a murderer that did not commit a murder is judging, and it's judging someone falsely.

Also, there will never be another great Prophet sent by GOD as John the Baptist, or Jesus for that matter. Furthermore, John the Baptist was long past the quickening when he jumped in his mothers womb.
  12. Standard memberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 13:3110 edits
    @kellyjay said
    person to leap for joy at the news of Jesus was John the ...[text shortened]... as we are
    So in your judgment, what excuses short of a woman's life is that it justifies us
    wouldn't do it, but it is okay for them because you are so gutless you cannot
    even open your mouth about the topic except to question my views?

LOL, I've talked on the abortion subject much in this forum. I'm not only questioning your views on this subject but all those that call themselves Christians that run around calling women and girls murderers who do not want to carry, or give birth to their rapists baby. What say you? Their rapists baby will no doubt look much as their rapist. So? Let's take the 10 year-old girl in AMERICA who was just raped by her step-daddy and denied an abortion because of the new bs laws taking effect. So? Is it not the parents responsibility to take care of their little 10 year-old girl as best as possible? Or, was this rape God ordained as a new life; as you say, and the 10 year-old girl must just suffer much more than the rape, because YOU say, God said so? With NO Bible scriptures from you; a self-proclaimed Bible believing Christian you say.
    Please show us where you are "believing the Bible as it is" on this subject? Or, the "Don't Judge" Scripture spoken by Jesus.
    Remember, Iron sharpens Iron.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 17:33
    @kingdavid403 said
    Do you have any scriptures to back your stance up besides scriptures that have nothing to do with abortion? Furthermore, God said nothing about murder in the scripture I shared; can you show us one that does on abortion? Or, are you picking and choosing to fit your self-righteous claims?

Judging someone as a murderer who committed a murder, that is a fact, not a ju ...[text shortened]... ter. Furthermore, John the Baptist was long past the quickening when he jumped in his mothers womb.
    I told you abortion isn't in the scriptures for or against, so every scripture used on
    the topic is all going to be those that speak about life and death, and you have
    already rejected those I have given.
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 17:35
    @kingdavid403 said
    [b]So in your judgment, what excuses short of a woman's life is that it justifies us
    wouldn't do it, but it is okay for them because you ar ...[text shortened]... s" on this subject? Or, the "Don't Judge" Scripture spoken by Jesus.
    Remember, Iron sharpens Iron.
    My stance is if you can do this to a fetus, you can do this to a two-year-old; they
    are both lives that matter. We differ if you think it is just to kill a two-year-old
    because of something that happened to its mother.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '22 17:37
    @kellyjay said
    You have a verified link to evidence which supports that claim?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree