1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 18:45
    For me it’s a no brainer. What are the risks if any of putting your trust in God? People will always let you down, yet we still trust them. We even trust people that we have never seen or met sometimes. What do you have to loose by putting your faith in Jesus rather than in yourself and other people? This question is aimed specifically at non believers.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 19:16
    @dj2becker said
    For me it’s a no brainer. What are the risks if any of putting your trust in God? People will always let you down, yet we still trust them. We even trust people that we have never seen or met sometimes. What do you have to loose by putting your faith in Jesus rather than in yourself and other people? This question is aimed specifically at non believers.
    Which the 40,000 Christian sects does one have to join in order to put their trust in God [as you say] ? Can someone avoid the corrupt, sick and evil churches and bypass them and put their trust in God privately?
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 20:351 edit
    @dj2becker said
    What are the risks if any of putting your trust in God? ...What do you have to loose by putting your faith in Jesus rather than in yourself and other people?

In your mind, what exactly does "putting your trust in God" entail?

In your mind, what exactly does "putting your faith in Jesus" entail?
  4. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 20:38
    What do so-called believers have to gain knowing what I believe, who I trust, or how I do it?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Oct '19 22:54
    @dj2becker said
    Do you mean "putting your faith" or "trust" in Christian values and social norms? You say you are addressing non-believers, so presumably you accept they simply don't believe what you believe.

Jesus died 2,000 years ago. Even if there is a creator being, I don't find any of the claims of "revealed" religion - that such a 'deity' has communicated its wishes or instructions to humanity - to be credible. Your post sounds like you are suggesting that non-believers pretend that they believe.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 03:41
    @dj2becker said
    Seatbelts, shoelaces, knots, pent-up frustration, ...

Oh. You meant "lose".

Lots of things.

Years of wasted effort following a spiritual path that did not work for me.
    Looking ridiculous in front of people trying to speak to a make-believe person, or speaking in a made-up language as if it were real. [lucky even christian me was careful not to do this around that many people]
    All the money I gave as offerings [at least, the dollars that weren't spent on helping people].
    Also, I think you know very well that most people don't have 100% faith in anyone, even themselves, and you're asking them to have 100% faith in Jesus. Having 100% faith in anything is suspect on the face of it. There should always be room for a little doubt. It's healthy.
  7. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 04:07
    @rajk999 said
    Which the 40,000 Christian sects does one have to join in order to put their trust in God [as you say] ? Can someone avoid the corrupt, sick and evil churches and bypass them and put their trust in God privately?
    Absolutely.
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 04:33
    @dj2becker
    As a devotee of Zeus I'll be laughing my head off if I'm wrong, I mean right.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 06:26
    @dj2becker said
    What are the risks if any of putting your trust in God?
    How, exactly, does a person put their trust in an entity they don’t believe exists?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 06:27
    @dj2becker said
    For me it’s a no brainer.
    This could be your epitaph.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 10:39
    @dj2becker said
    Pascal's Wager is a no-go.

If you give it enough thought, I bet you could even figure out why.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 10:51
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Seatbelts, shoelaces, knots, pent-up frustration, ...

Oh. You meant "lose".

Lots of things.

Years of wasted effort following a spiritual path that did not work for me.
    Looking ridiculous in front of people trying to speak to a make-believe person, or speaking in a made-up language as if it were real. [lucky even christian me was careful not to do this around ...[text shortened]... anything is suspect on the face of it. There should always be room for a little doubt. It's healthy.
    You know, it wouldn't even be soooooo bad, if people DID put their trust 100% in Jesus.

What happens in Christianity right now, and I mean a LOT, is that people put their trust and belief in what they THINK (or even what someone told them) God or Jesus is. This is how you get these bizarre dangerous sects, and for that matter, even the non-dangerous ones are still insidious in how many people they snare into their bizarro dogmas. Even on the mildly different side, this is why there is something like 400 divisions of Christianity. This is nuts. Jesus was ONE guy. Follow HIM. That's all. The rest is just BS.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 10:53
    @dj2becker said
    You are asking me to put my trust in something I don't believe in, simply because I have nothing to lose by doing so?!

As a believer in a fictional deity, what do 'you' have to lose putting your trust instead in bacon rolls?
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 13:101 edit
    @dj2becker

For me it’s a no brainer. What are the risks if any of putting your trust in God?

As I recall my struggle, I think the risk is that I would not be the center of the universe. The throne of authority in existence was occupied by ME. The risk is a sense of autonomy will be lost.

What is not realized is that a great Love awaits to place you in a more comfortable place. But without God's mercy it is really, really HARD to see that.

Who can? Without revelation, no one can, I think.

People will always let you down, yet we still trust them. We even trust people that we have never seen or met sometimes. What do you have to loose by putting your faith in Jesus rather than in yourself and other people? This question is aimed specifically at non believers.

Remember C.S. Lewis recalled his days as an atheist. He said if you told him he was searching for God it would sound to him like a mouse searching for a cat!
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 13:21
    @suzianne said
    You know, it wouldn't even be soooooo bad, if people DID put their trust 100% in Jesus.

What happens in Christianity right now, and I mean a LOT, is that people put their trust and belief in what they THINK (or even what someone told them) God or Jesus is. This is how you get these bizarre dangerous sects, and for that matter, even the non-dangerous ones are still insidio ...[text shortened]... of Christianity. This is nuts. Jesus was ONE guy. Follow HIM. That's all. The rest is just BS.
    Jesus was ONE guy. Follow HIM. That's all. The rest is just BS.

You say this, yet over the years you've opposed my efforts to advocate for the gospel preached by Jesus. Have you rethought your position?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree