1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 01:301 edit
    From another thread, posted by a Christian:

One day I will hear Jesus say to me, "Well done thou good and faithful servant".

"Done".

According to their beliefs, when Christians meet Jesus in "heaven", what is it that they will be required to have "done" well in their lives to warrant such a greeting [and reward]?

"Servant".

Don't servants have to actually do things?

Again, according to their beliefs, when Christians are welcomed to "heaven" by Jesus, what is it that they will be required to have done as "servants" during their lives?
  2. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 01:461 edit
    @FMF

The teaching work...

Matt 24:14..... 14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matt 28: 19,20...... 19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

1 Thes 2:9..... 9 Surely you remember, brothers, our labor and toil. We were working night and day, so that we would not put an expensive burden on any one of you, when we preached the good news of God to you.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 01:51
    @galveston75 said
    @FMF

The teaching work...
    Teaching religious doctrine. OK, understood.

What else are people who see themselves as "servants" of Jesus required to do during their lifetimes?
  4. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:20
    @fmf said

One day I will hear Jesus say to me, "Well done thou good and faithful servant".

"Done".

According to their beliefs, when Christians meet Jesus in "heaven", what is it that they will be required to have "done" well in their lives to warrant such a greeting [and reward]?

"Servant".

Don't servants have to actually do ...[text shortened]... aven" by Jesus, what is it that they will be required to have done as "servants" during their lives?
    It's simple. No big hoops to jump through. No heavy burdens to bear. No striving or sweating. Not rites and rituals. No complicated religious ceremonies.

Just simply obedience and faith in the lot in life one is dealt with.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:31
    @secondson said
    Just simply obedience and faith in the lot in life one is dealt with.
    So, aside from faith, Christians are required to obey the commandments and do good works in order to enter "heaven" [so to speak]?
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:49
    @fmf said
    So, aside from faith, Christians are required to obey the commandments and do good works in order to enter "heaven" [so to speak]?
    There is no "aside from faith" in the equation.

Entrance into "heaven", or having eternal life, both are mutually inclusive, is not contingent on requirements met.

The concept of "salvation by grace" does not come with the issuance of a license to sin.

Obedience and faith are the appropriate response to the giving of a gift too precious to describe in words.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 02:56
    @secondson said
    There is no "aside from faith" in the equation.

Entrance into "heaven", or having eternal life, both are mutually inclusive, is not contingent on requirements met.

The concept of "salvation by grace" does not come with the issuance of a license to sin.

Obedience and faith are the appropriate response to the giving of a gift too precious to describe in words.
    So obedience is NOT required, ONLY faith is required?
  8. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:24
    @fmf said
    So obedience is NOT required, ONLY faith is required?
    Get some sleep. You're apparently delirious.

I just told you a few minutes ago that "required" is not in the equation. At least not in a way you'd understand.

But don't worry about it. I didn't understand it either even after I was saved for a long time.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:30
    @secondson said
    Get some sleep. You're apparently delirious.
    No. I am not "delirious" or in need of sleep.

You have given this advice in public and not privately, so presumably you think saying it furthers the case you are making in this discussion. However, I don't see how it has a bearing on what either of us is saying.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 03:33
    @secondson said
    I just told you a few minutes ago that "required" is not in the equation.
    An hour ago you said, in answer to my question about what is required of a Christian, you said: "Just simply obedience and faith in the lot in life one is dealt with." ...and yet, now an hour later, you are saying that obedience is not required.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 04:49
    @fmf said

"Done".

"Servant".

Don't servants have to actually do ...[text shortened]... aven" by Jesus, what is it that they will be required to have done as "servants" during their lives?
    Burying 30 kg of silver in the desert's a mistake.
  12. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 06:26
    That 30kg figure turns out to the the Babylonian Talent. The Common Heavy Talent weighed about 59kg. This is worth £25,000 or $33,000 (USD) at todays prices. Based on minimum wages in the UK being around £15,000 a year and survival wages in the Persian era being 22 shekels per year [1] that gives a hack's guess of the Talent having the equivalent purchasing power of £2.5 million. Burying it in the desert really wasn't a good plan.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekel
    [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_and_Talmudic_units_of_measurement#Weight_and_coins
    [3] Minimum wage in the UK is £8.31 an hour, I multiplied by 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and assumed 48 working weeks. This comes to £15,700 a year.
    [4] 1 talent = 60 minas = 3,600 shekels.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 07:12
    @deepthought said
    Burying 30 kg of silver in the desert's a mistake.
    Maybe it is a metaphor for prospecting for oil in the Middle East.

Trial and error.

One has to speculate to accumulate.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 10:57
    @galveston75 said
    @FMF

The teaching work...

Matt 24:14..... 14 And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matt 28: 19,20...... 19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 te ...[text shortened]... e would not put an expensive burden on any one of you, when we preached the good news of God to you.
    Will it be Jehovah or Jesus who is saying “well done” to you, or both?

Will Jehovah be in human forum and if so will Jesus look like him being as he is the “exact representation of his being”?

How will you tell them apart?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Jan '20 11:00
    @secondson said
    I just told you a few minutes ago that "required" is not in the equation. At least not in a way you'd understand.
    Then what did you mean by “obedience”?

“Obedience and faith are the appropriate response to the giving of a gift too precious to describe in words.”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree