28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 01:35
    NO ONE IS WORTHY OF MERCY. MERCY IS GRANTED TO
    THE UNWORTHY. IT IS WRONG TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO
    BE WORTHY IN ORDER TO PLEASE GOD. IF GOD WAS FAIR,
    WE WOULD ALL BE TORTURED FOR ETERNITY. LET'S BE
    GLAD GOD IS NOT FAIR.

This 'holiness' appears to be a kind of misanthropic sanctimony generated by the friction between complete and utter convolution and one's moral common sense.

Psychologically, it is like being invited to sip Victory Gin in the Chestnut Tree Café after being shorn of one's individuality at the Ministry of Love.

Is it not?

"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother." ~ George Orwell, 1984
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 08:17
    @fmf said
    GLAD GOD IS NOT FAIR.

This 'holiness' appears to be a kind of misanthropic sanctimony generated by the friction between comple ...[text shortened]... finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother." ~ George Orwell, 1984[/quote]
    While I fundamentally disagree with the message you've placed in caps, I also confess that I find your drawing equivalence between religion and torture (Miniluv) to be perhaps just a bit 'over the edge' in its rhetoric. I realize your drawing similarity between religious dogma and doublethink is part of your 'schtick', but I fundamentally disagree with that conclusion as well.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 08:30
    @suzianne said
    While I fundamentally disagree with the message you've placed in caps..
    It's KellyJay's brand of Christianity. And probably others too. If you want to tackle him about "the message", feel free to do so. Don't use me as a proxy in order to disagree with him. I am an agnostic atheist. I don't believe "the message [I've] placed in caps", as you well know.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 08:35
    @suzianne said
    I realize your drawing similarity between religious dogma and doublethink is part of your 'schtick', but I fundamentally disagree with that conclusion as well.
    My 'schtick' on this occasion is that the stuff in CAPITALS in the OP is neo-Orwellian. Now, as I have often said, if it gives people purpose in life and solace in the face of death's inevitability, then good for them. I really do believe that. However, another ~ admittedly harsher ~ way to look at it is that the stuff in CAPITALS in the OP is [in spiritual terms] analogous to "Victory Gin".
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 08:37
    @suzianne said
    I find your drawing equivalence between religion and torture (Miniluv) to be perhaps just a bit 'over the edge' in its rhetoric.
    I am not "drawing equivalence between religion and torture". I can see how that can be inferred from my OP, but that is not the analogy that I am making, as I have now explained in my previous two posts.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 10:13
    @fmf said
    GLAD GOD IS NOT FAIR.

This 'holiness' appears to be a kind of misanthropic sanctimony generated by the friction between comple ...[text shortened]... finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother." ~ George Orwell, 1984[/quote]
    It is a nonsense doctrine. Those who fall prey to this kind of Christianity are truly messed up.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 15:33
    @rajk999 said
    It is a nonsense doctrine.
    Because you're worthy! Right?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 15:58
    @fmf said
    GLAD GOD IS NOT FAIR.
    It is a peculiar emotional roller-coaster: the masochism of stripping one's self of any and all sense of worth, followed by despair at the pitiable result, followed by the euphoria of swinging all the way across the emotional spectrum from utter despondency to sublime euphoria. It is the Spiritual equivalent of a BDSM club visit followed by a hot shower.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Aug '19 16:45
    @secondson said
    Because you're worthy! Right?
    Everybody is worthy. Some worthy of life and some worthy of death. Read Matt 25. Jesus said the ones doing good works are worthy of life. The ones who do no good works are worthy of death.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 14:271 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    It is a peculiar emotional roller-coaster: the masochism of stripping one's self of any and all sense of worth, followed by despair at the pitiable result, followed by the euphoria of swinging all the way across the emotional spectrum from utter despondency to sublime euphoria. It is the Spiritual equivalent of a BDSM club visit followed by a hot shower.
    It reminds one of monks who practice self-flagellation. Don't see the point in it myself.

In fact, I can see it, in a dystopian world, such as that in The Handmaid's Tale, used against others for not applying themselves in service to the state, which becomes a replacement for the church. The end result roams so far from the origin as to become another thing entirely.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    12 Aug '19 15:27
    @suzianne said
    It reminds one of monks who practice self-flagellation. Don't see the point in it myself.

In fact, I can see it, in a dystopian world, such as that in The Handmaid's Tale, used against others for not applying themselves in service to the state, which becomes a replacement for the church. The end result roams so far from the origin as to become another thing entirely.
    Preferred the first season of The Handmaid's Tale

Has lost its way a bit.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 12:05
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Preferred the first season of The Handmaid's Tale

Has lost its way a bit.
    Agreed.
  13. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Aug '19 12:44
    @suzianne said
    Agreed.
    'Killing Eve' suffered the same fate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree