1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 23:001 edit
    @fmf said
    So you don't have an answer.
    I would say that the hand of God sometimes initiates these things, as we read in the Bible.

Just look at the Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem. The Jewish people had become so corrupted that it was a judgement on the people for the Babylonians to come in and route them. But the Babylonians were so cruel about how they went about their business, that God then judged them later on.

I also think that evil dictators have a short leash. Men like Hitler or Saddam I think are allowed only so much evil before God judges them.

Did God have a hand in their demise?

That is a good question.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 23:02
    @whodey said
    I would say that the hand of God sometimes initiates these things, as we read in the Bible.

Just look at the Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem. The people had become so corrupted that it was a judgement on the people. But the Babylonians were so cruel about how they went about their business, that God then judged them later on.

I also think that evil dictators have a sh ...[text shortened]... h evil before God judges them.

Did God have a hand in their demise?

That is a good question.
    You are trying to move further away from the question in hand. Don't worry about the Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem. The U.S. killed an extraordinary number of civilians in Korea, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. Speaking as an American Christian, does the "Just War" designation cover that?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '19 23:04
    @whodey said
    It is something I struggle with. IF the number of people you save far surpass those who were killed, was it worth it?
    What is your answer to your own question in the cases of Korea, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 10:132 edits
    @fmf said
    What is your answer to your own question in the cases of Korea, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia?
    I thought I made it clear that God decides these things.

Anyhew, on the topic of Vietnam it would appear that it was an unjust war from my perspective.

LBJ lied and said that Vietnam attacked the US to drag the US into the war without calling it a war, and another lie. Then they conducted a war, not to fight for territory, but just to try and kill as many of the enemy that they could as they retook land repeatedly. Then they turned tail and ran leaving a trail of death and destruction.

Add to the fact that US servicemen were treated like crap when they came home as people called them baby killers, and what you wind up with is perhaps the most unpopular train wreck of a war in US history.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 10:431 edit
    @whodey said
    I thought I made it clear that God decides these things.
    I am asking you about your view regarding the killing of civilians in the cases I cited - Laos, Cambodia, Korea - was justified by the Christian "Just War" concept. I am not asking what your God figure thinks or "decides". Look, if you are just going to dodge the question page after page, don't bother.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 10:47
    @whodey said
    Add to the fact that US servicemen were treated like crap when they came home as people called them baby killers, and what you wind up with is perhaps the most unpopular train wreck of a war in US history.
    Presumably, if it was an immoral war based on lies, you think the returning servicemen deserved the treatment they got?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 15:53
    @fmf said
    I am asking you about your view regarding the killing of civilians in the cases I cited - Laos, Cambodia, Korea - was justified by the Christian "Just War" concept. I am not asking what your God figure thinks or "decides". Look, if you are just going to dodge the question page after page, don't bother.
    Which civilians? Are we talking about civilians actively engaged in trying to kill soldiers or innocent ones?

Obviously, killing innocent ones is not just.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 15:54
    @fmf said
    Presumably, if it was an immoral war based on lies, you think the returning servicemen deserved the treatment they got?
    Depends on what they did.

If they went over there killing and raping innocent people, then yes.

Otherwise, no.

I find it particularly distasteful though that they were all judged to have done that.
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 23:28
    @kellyjay said
    Depends who you are answering to at the moment, I believe we answer to man, and God. Being justified by one doesn't mean the other agrees.
    We answer to man? Doesn't man (in your opinion) answer to god?
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 23:30
    @whodey said
    God.
    And how do you know if it is justified?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    10 Apr '19 23:33
    @stellspalfie said
    We answer to man? Doesn't man (in your opinion) answer to god?
    Yes, but just as we can answer to man that doesn't stop us from disobeying man breaking any law we desire and the same is true with God as well. The difference between God and man with respect to consequences we might slip through man's judgment, but never God's. Even thinking we get away with disobeying Him in this life there are prices are pay.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree